Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 08:45 AM

1,546 posts, read 2,552,038 times

Advertisements

I voted against it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2014, 09:08 AM

7,104 posts, read 11,600,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post

47 other states manage with the provision... NC can as well.
It might also help to reduce the number of lawyers.
This last point is why I'll vote "FOR"
Yeah - but - NC Policy Watch notes this:

Forty-nine states and the federal criminal justice system already allow defendants to waive the right to a jury trial, and experiences there can help inform a voter’s choice.

Most of those jurisdictions require the consent of the prosecutor before a defendant can have a bench trial, Welty noted.

“That allows prosecutors to block bench trials in cases in which they believe that influential defense lawyers might seek preferential treatment for their clients,” he said.

The amendment proposed here has no such requirement

- See more at: Read your ballot | NC Policy Watch

Old 10-29-2014, 12:27 PM

34,090 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorasMom View Post
Yeah - but - NC Policy Watch notes this:

The amendment proposed here has no such requirement
- See more at: Read your ballot | NC Policy Watch
Thanks for the heads up.
I was not aware of this (typically NC style) doubledealing.

Old 10-29-2014, 12:58 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
I can see where it would be useful in cases where the defendant would be unlikely to find an impartial jury based on a lot of media coverage.

In any case, I think people should have the right to wave their rights.

Old 10-29-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Thanks for the heads up.
I was not aware of this (typically NC style) doubledealing.
Me either and it's terrible that it wasn't easy to find out. I found that article in a comment to the Indyweek recommendation online.

Old 10-29-2014, 02:28 PM

120 posts, read 229,151 times
From how I take it, most states (except North Carolina and maybe a few others) allow criminal offenders the opportunity to waive their rights to trial by jury if it is not a case involves the death penalty.

Reasons:
Why one would vote for:
* The court systems are tied up and this would free some of that.
* These trial by jury cases are expensive because they are time consuming.
* Some cases involve very emotional subjects such as child molestation may be treated "unfairly" due to the emotion of the jury. The theory is that the judge can put aside their emotions and look purely at the legal implications of the infraction. (Thats why someone who molested a child would probably be smarter to decide to be tried without a jury)

Why one would vote against:
* Voting for it would reduce democratic involvement.
* To ensure that emotion can be a determining factor. (if thats important to you)
* To keep a checks and balance type system for these cases (in a sense, but that goes back to democratic involvement)

Old 10-29-2014, 10:32 PM
pvs pvs started this thread

1,845 posts, read 3,365,770 times
After reading through most of that document I posted in the OP, I have decided to vote against it, too. Although all the other states already have such a ruling, most of them require the prosecutor's acceptance of the defendant's choice to waive the trial by jury. I feel, without such a check, this law might be used ... "unwisely".

Old 10-30-2014, 12:07 PM

13,811 posts, read 27,448,042 times
Why are you people voting against? You realize by doing so you are limiting choice, correct? I'm blown away.

Isn't it better to have an option to do something than NOT have the option?

Juries can make some absolute stupid decisions especially when pointed out above the case is emotional. People are easily swayed by good lawyers.

I would at least like the OPTION if this were me going to trial. That is all this amendment is about!

Old 10-30-2014, 12:22 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
I voted for it. I think it's best to give people more rights instead of less.

Old 10-30-2014, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsup View Post
Why are you people voting against? You realize by doing so you are limiting choice, correct? I'm blown away.

Isn't it better to have an option to do something than NOT have the option?

Juries can make some absolute stupid decisions especially when pointed out above the case is emotional. People are easily swayed by good lawyers.

I would at least like the OPTION if this were me going to trial. That is all this amendment is about!
I normally would vote for more choice but I feel like this is a smoke and mirrors choice. Juries can be terrible but honestly so can judges. We have a constitutional right to a trial by jury; I really see no benefit to a defendant in waiving that...you can't go in assuming your jury will be bad. But, if you're a minority in certain areas, I feel it might be safe to say your fate should not be left up to one person. And I could see coercion happening as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina