Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-22-2014, 05:04 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,688,469 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
Obviously this is what people in this state want or do they actually have any idea what last place in public education looks like?
Obviously, this is the result of severe gerrymandering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-22-2014, 07:48 PM

25,116 posts, read 16,215,541 times
we're mere weeks away from solid proof that Republicans like to kill the young, the old, and the infirmed.

Old 11-23-2014, 03:13 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Chicken little indeed. Considering that the OP does not list any sources for the claims and this topic was created as a purely political let's beat up Republicans discussion, I thought I'd post the GOP's response to such claims. I note the usual suspects are back making claims the state is headed to Armageddon or will turn out like NJ again.

NC House Republicans- State education spending: the facts | NCGOP

Nothing new about Chicken Little. He's been around a long time. Democrats have been saying this in NC for a long time, yet the public no longer trusts them to run things. BTW. The actual proposed budget increases education $s from the state. You can check it for yourself if you like.

(Dear partisans, the Democrats had their asses handed to them nationally in this past election. There is a reason for it. Probably best to focus on that rather than imagined things falling from the sky.)

Last edited by WaldoKitty; 11-23-2014 at 03:25 AM..

Old 11-23-2014, 07:01 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,522,515 times
For last couple months, I have been reluctant posting links unless asked due to I seen in time links sometimes become {broken link} due to either the source reorganized their sources for articles or yanked. :
This wasnt done as political jab but like this forum has done over the years discuss laws enacted by this state general assembly which happens to be Republican majority.
Here an article printed in a local paper mentioning how that county is dealing with the 2% budget shortfall mentioned in third paragraph. I-SS: State warns of funding cuts, jobs threatened - Statesville.com: News

Also their has been cuts to teacher assistants who often are the school bus drivers.
Since the 2008-09 recession, state funding for TAs has been reduced by more than 20 percent, leading to thousands of cuts.
Which Im actually in limbo as I dont remember teacher assistants when growing up and by time I was in high school, High School students didnt drive the bus any more but I only rode one year since I got a driver license so I didnt care
Across the state, school districts faced similar TA cutbacks this school year:
  • Rockingham County Schools: 20 fewer positions, reduced hours affecting about 100 people.
  • New Hanover County Schools: Approximately 40 fewer positions.
  • Buncombe County Schools: Eliminated 30.5 positions.
  • Winston-Salem/Forsyth : Eliminated 190 positions.

Here article on TA being cut
Here's How Education Cuts Are Affecting NC Teacher Assistants | WUNC

To be fare Waldo, yes budget was increased or shifted from teacher assistants to core teacher salaries and benefits but there isnt anything budgeted for the classrooms forcing these districts to make these cuts.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:40 AM

16,759 posts, read 8,214,152 times
As the post that started this thread mentioned. The Budget shortfall is 400 million. This is an issue which many have seen before and worry about.

Shortfalls for a state mean debt, there is no other way to call it. The tax cuts put in place and another which takes place on January 1,2015 will lead to even larger debt.

The party in power were able to talk about anything except how to run our state into financial trouble, as they are doing. Watch as the debt they are creating by giving raises with a lack of revenue will affect your Real Estate taxes.
see usdebtclock.org and click on NC, current state debt / person is over $5,000.00
The smartest thing the Republicans in power can due is take the Federal Medicaid expansion.

McCrory and his lawsuit against Alcoa,which if won would be a nice revenue producer for the state, looks like a long term court case Alcoa hopes to drag on to win.

In regards to the last election, you voted these clowns back in and we will all pay in the long run

Old 11-23-2014, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss View Post
see usdebtclock.org and click on NC, current state debt / person is over $5,000.00

In regards to the last election, you voted these clowns back in and we will all pay in the long run
But it was Perdue & the Democrats that ran up that debt. If you are truly upset at the debt, then you should redirect your scorn towards them and be happy they were voted out.

Old 11-23-2014, 09:14 PM

1,994 posts, read 5,962,783 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
But it was Perdue & the Democrats that ran up that debt. If you are truly upset at the debt, then you should redirect your scorn towards them and be happy they were voted out.
Your right, if only Perdue and the Democrats had been like the republicans and lifted a middle finger to the unemployed, the state would be so much better off.

Old 11-24-2014, 03:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
Your right, if only Perdue and the Democrats had been like the republicans and lifted a middle finger to the unemployed, the state would be so much better off.
But you see this is a no win argument of partisans. The partisans will first argue there is too much debt caused by overspending by the state so we have to cut back teachers. So then when it's pointed out that the over spending was caused by the party the partisan favors, then immediately we hear about all the good that was done by the overspending. Circular Reasoning.

It's what I said in the beginning. It's not about education or whatever. It's all about how evil the "other party" is. i.e

Old 11-24-2014, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
But you see this is a no win argument of partisans. The partisans will first argue there is too much debt caused by overspending by the state so we have to cut back teachers. So then when it's pointed out that the over spending was caused by the party the partisan favors, then immediately we hear about all the good that was done by the overspending. Circular Reasoning.

It's what I said in the beginning. It's not about education or whatever. It's all about how evil the "other party" is. i.e
Keep dreaming. The failure to manage the debt is the current people in power. Trying to blame one group or another is the politicians best tool.

The current debt is being created by a tax system based on the flat tax idea. The tax cuts created much less revenue and as of January 1,2015 even less revenue. On January 1, 2015 a second cut for Corporations goes into effect. States need revenue from taxes and fees or in our case a very large increase in Lottery sales.

Your attempt to blame partisans is a way to deflect from the problem, the current party in complete power is doing damage to the fiscal well being of the state.

Old 11-24-2014, 06:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toot68 View Post
The current state of unemployment was cut by the party in power, with a large drop in the UE rate only to see the UE rate going against the national average. It is starting to tick back up. It is also not the reason for the current shortfall. The Gov. took great pride that they repaid the Federal loan to maintain UE.

The current debt problems are created by the people in power now and unable to create enough revenue. One way to fix the problem is to take the Medicaid expansion, allowing that line item in their budget to go back into the general fund for the next 3 years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina