Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2015, 05:44 PM

403 posts, read 770,726 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone. We are looking to possibly relocate to either the virginia or northern NC area. Can anyone recommend nice areas in Northern NC? How bad are the bugs and weather in this vicinity? I have a major phobia of bugs and tornadoes, and I've always envisioned both of those things getting worse the further south you go. We are in PA right now. Somewhat close to water and low crime are very important. School district, not so much, as our dd will be graduated from hs. We can probably afford a 200,000 absolute max house. Does anyone know how the cost of living is in comparison to VA? Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-12-2015, 06:21 PM

13,368 posts, read 27,022,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
How bad are the bugs and weather in this vicinity? I have a major phobia of bugs and tornadoes, and I've always envisioned both of those things getting worse the further south you go. We are in PA right now. Somewhat close to water and low crime are very important. School district, not so much, as our dd will be graduated from hs. We can probably afford a 200,000 absolute max house. Does anyone know how the cost of living is in comparison to VA? Thanks!
Yes, we have more bugs in coastal North Carolina than there are in Pennsylvania. They thrive in warmth and humidity. Many bugs, especially mosquitoes, are worse as you go closer to water.

How small a town are you interested in? Do you need to find jobs? How far north-east in North carolina are you restricted to? I really need more specifics to give you good suggestion.

If you need jobs, I would suggest Jacksonville or a small town nearby. If you don't need jobs, you could look in places like Manteo, Currituck, Belhaven and Oriental.

You final question about the cost of living of Virginia versus North Carolina is too vague to answer well. If you are comparing the Hampton Roads area to most of coastal North Carolina, then Hampton Roads is much more urban and more expensive. However, if you are comparing very rural towns such as Farmville Virginia to rural towns in North Carolina, then the COL is similar

Old 06-12-2015, 06:31 PM

My husband is in the federal govt, so he would need to find a job within the federal govt in order for us to move. We love to kayak and would like to get jet skis, so being within a short commute to at least a bay would be ideal. I would like to stay as far north as possible since we still have family in pa. We definitely don't want to live in a city.

Old 06-12-2015, 06:49 PM

My husband is in the federal govt, so he would need to find a job within the federal govt in order for us to move. We love to kayak and would like to get jet skis, so being within a short commute to at least a bay would be ideal. I would like to stay as far north as possible since we still have family in pa. We definitely don't want to live in a city.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by renrenbri View Post
My husband is in the federal govt, so he would need to find a job within the federal govt in order for us to move ....... I would like to stay as far north as possible since we still have family in pa. We definitely don't want to live in a city.
Then you are severely restricting your choice of job locations. The federal jobs anywhere near "northeastern North Carolina" are in the Norfolk/Virginia Beach/Portsmouth area, or Elizabeth City (with the Coast Guard). There may be some jobs with post offices, Veterans Administration clinics, etc. I consider it central coastal North Carolina, but the Jacksonville/Havelock area has many jobs with the Marine Corps and Navy.

I think it would be better to scope out the job possibilities first, then come back and ask about the area it is located in.

Old 06-12-2015, 07:45 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Northeastern North Carolina is very sparsely populated and many of the counties are very poor. I don't know what kind of federal job your husband would be looking for, but there are few job opportunities in NE NC. You might find something around Elizabeth City.

Old 06-13-2015, 06:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Northeastern North Carolina is very sparsely populated and many of the counties are very poor. I don't know what kind of federal job your husband would be looking for, but there are few job opportunities in NE NC. You might find something around Elizabeth City.
I will second the comment about poverty. Counties like Bertie and Hyde have a 13-15% un-employment rate. The paradox about northeast North Carolina is that there is also some very expensive housing on the waterfront. Dare and Camden counties probably have housing in the OP's price range. I can't say it would be "nice" housing, but it would be a basic ranch or cape in acceptable condition.

I believe the best option for the family would be for the husband to find a job in Suffolk, Chesapeake or Virginia Beach. Then the family could live in nearby a North Carolina town like Gates, Corapeake, South Mills or Moyock.

Last edited by goldenage1; 06-13-2015 at 07:55 AM..

Old 06-13-2015, 11:02 AM

2,424 posts, read 3,535,676 times
Edenton, NC - my family lived there for generations.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:10 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Let's see-

1) you have never been to NE NC
2) you don't have job prospects there or even know if there are any?

Why, again, are you looking at that area?

The "Tidewater" (Norfolk/Virginia Beach) of VA will have far more govt jobs than Northeastern NC, which is actually the poorest area of this state. Surely you would have researched this...? Maybe you could work in VA and live just over the line, but you certainly should take a trip to the area and see what it's like before even thinking about moving there--I can't fathom moving somewhere "sight unseen"?!

What area of Fed Govt is your husband in? I concur with those who say, find where the jobs are FIRST, then consider the areas and ask about those that interest you (preferably after you've actually been for a visit).

Good luck to you--lots of research ahead.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:30 PM

This is definitely not something we are going to do without major research. This is my first step! We have been researching the Yorktown va area for quite awhile now. I've talked to many people who live or know people who live in va and love it. We've been through the area several tines and are coming down for an extended trip shortly. However, I've recently been told the col is much higher than we anticipated. Nc or Sc was recommended. My husband has just started to search for jobs through USA jobs now. Nc is one of our searches. We will definitely look in the areas where the jobs are located. I am just looking for ideas of places so that while we are in va, maybe we can take a day or two to come down and visit those areas as well. He is working for the department of defense now. Northern nc is the furthest south we would want to go right now. My husbands parents still live in pa along with some other relatives, so we want to remain within driving distance.

Last edited by renrenbri; 06-13-2015 at 08:58 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina