Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-17-2015, 03:38 PM

1 posts, read 1,002 times

Advertisements

Does anyone have any information regarding middle schools in the Pinehurst area? Such as which are the best and which to avoid? Public vs. private? Some areas we are looking at are Seven Lakes or Mc Lendon Hills which seem to feed into the higher rated public school. Any information about these areas would be appreciated, like are there many kids (we have 2 middle school boys) or are they mainly retirement areas? We are also looking at Pinehurst as a possibility but the public middle school is not rated well. If any Pinehurst residents reply it would be great to know your experience regarding schools.
I am heading out from Southern CA next month to look for a house. There are way too many reasons to leave CA. Can anyone suggest good areas to look for housing $500-$700k range? We don't have to commute to work or anything like that. Just basically a good, safe area for our kids. We have big dogs so we are hoping for at least a half acre where we could put up a fence and be far enough from a golf course so that they don't bark and disturb golfers.
Also, one of our boys does karate and one dances (breaking, hip hop and tap) so if anyone has any suggestions as far as martial arts or dance studios go that would be great.
Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2015, 05:22 PM

15,146 posts, read 27,817,958 times
Maybe the Charlotte forum would be the best place to ask?

Old 04-18-2015, 05:17 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,388,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamingo13 View Post
Maybe the Charlotte forum would be the best place to ask?
No, it wouldn't. The 2 places are 100 miles apart.

Old 04-18-2015, 05:18 AM

Have you researched schools on the NC School Report Cards site?:

NC School Report Cards

Pinehurst is a small, resort town. Its frankly a bit of an odd place for a family to randomly choose to move. Is there something in particular drawing you there? There may be better places in NC for you to consider. When you say "we don't have to commute for work", what does that mean exactly?

I think your housing budget is low for virtually anywhere in NC, but I have no specific knowledge of Pinehurst's housing market. If you can afford private schools why is your housing budget so low?

Last edited by carolinadawg2; 04-18-2015 at 05:26 AM..

Old 04-18-2015, 07:19 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,355,859 times
$500-$700,000 is LOW? That should be enough to get you a very nice house in any place in North Carolina.

I second the suggestion of looking up test scores and other data on the NC Report Card site carolinadawg linked. Moore County schools are pretty okay. Not the best in the state, but not the worst. In addition to the retiree and golf population which you are already aware of, there are a number of military families in the Southern Pines/Pinehurst area since it's not that far from Fort Bragg.

A search on "pinehurst" yields several threads that might be of interest. It's a nice enough place, but not really my speed. It really helps if you like golf. http://www.city-data.com/forum/searc...rchid=16978040

Last edited by poppydog; 04-18-2015 at 08:41 AM..

Old 04-18-2015, 08:40 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,077,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Have you researched schools on the NC School Report Cards site?:

NC School Report Cards

Pinehurst is a small, resort town. Its frankly a bit of an odd place for a family to randomly choose to move. Is there something in particular drawing you there? There may be better places in NC for you to consider. When you say "we don't have to commute for work", what does that mean exactly?

I think your housing budget is low for virtually anywhere in NC, but I have no specific knowledge of Pinehurst's housing market. If you can afford private schools why is your housing budget so low?
I think you missread the budget. They said 500-700 hundred thousand dollars. They could get a horse farm in Carthage or a verylarge house
I agree that Pinehurst is strange choice for a family. I suggest Chapel Hill or Cary.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:33 AM

Yes, sorry, misread the housing budget as $500 to $700 a month in rent. I still think Pinehurst is an odd place to relocate to for a young family.

Old 04-21-2015, 09:02 AM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,402,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
Yes, sorry, misread the housing budget as $500 to $700 a month in rent. I still think Pinehurst is an odd place to relocate to for a young family.
I agree, please don't move to the Pinehurst area if you have kids. Our taxes are fairly low because we don't have a lot of people asking for "stadiums" for HS athletics. This is a retirement and working class area with few well paying jobs. The schools here are good enough for the working people and the retired don't want to pay for schools we don't use.

I supported "great schools" in NJ with high RE taxes while I was working. I don't need that being retired here in NC.

Old 07-12-2015, 11:57 AM

5 posts, read 6,323 times
We live in Pinehurst and I have two kids in the Westpine middle school. It is a very good school and we have been very happy there. The teachers are excellent and the academics are excellent. We love the Pinehurst area because it's very safe to raise your children and there's lots of athletic and academic things to do. The neighborhoods we have found to be the most friendly are Clarendon gardens, Pinehurst #6, Village acres, Pinewild, CCNC, seven Lakes, national and probably some others that are scattered around. If you're buying in Pinehurst look at purchasing a membership to the resort with the property as then you can use their brand-new pool and tennis courts and other athletic facilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina