Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 10:51 AM

22,974 posts, read 65,518,175 times

Advertisements

Richmond County High Scool teen was met in the parking lot by school officials telling him to remove a Confederate flag flying from his antenna.

The teen a belt buckle that says 'Red Neck' and truck hork that plays Dixie
states “It’s just my Southern heritage, you know. I was born and raised down here and [it] wasn’t nothing racist, just me,” he said.

The school officials threaten to have his trucked towed but he hop in truck locked the doors and told them "You would have to tow me with it. he said.

His mom came to the school and removed the flag and his dad stated
“Personally, as a parent, I am against the flying of the Confederate flag other than at an individual’s home. However, I believe my son’s rights were violated,”

The teen argued that he did nothing wrong or out of hate.“I don’t dislike this color or that color,” Gainey said.

Read more with video => Teen’s truck décor sparks Confederate flag controversy in high school parking lot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-05-2012, 11:20 AM

7,076 posts, read 12,347,323 times
I honestly don't think the kid is racist. However, most of the white kids that I was friends with in high school would have NEVER done anything that might have upset their black peers. Though the rebel flag is quite popular among poor rural southern white youth, it is still seen as a symbol of hatred by many. "My southern heritage" is often the claim for those who wish to fly the flag. I wonder just what exactly do those words actually mean? I ask this because we usually don't see southern Hispanics, Asians, or Blacks flying this flag. Also, it is rare to see a white kid from southern cities flying it either (especially so called "new south" cities).

The bigger question here is was this kid's rights violated? IMO, no. Rebel flags are in the same category as Nazi symbols simply because they can offend lots of people (and in this country, the rebel flag offends more folks than probably any other flag). Due to safety concerns and respect for those who do not wish to see that flag, the school did the right thing. The young man has every right to fly his flag out in public. However, there are safety-based rules once you're on school property. No loud music, no weapons, no smoking, etc. A symbol that could start a fight on school grounds shouldn't be allowed either.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:26 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,427 times
Quote:
Rebel flags are in the same category as Nazi symbols simply because they can offend lots of people (and in this country, the rebel flag offends more folks than probably any other flag).
The is 100%, absolute BS. The Rebel flag is in no way, shape or form in the same category as Nazi symbols. The Rebel flag is a symbol of the Southern armies during the Civil War, nothing more. When the war was over nefarious anti-black groups adopted the flag as their "symbol" based on historical ignorance. This ignorance has continued to this day by the politically correct types that look to be offended by everything. The First Amendment doesn't cease to exist because someone is offended.

Quote:
Due to safety concerns and respect for those who do not wish to see that flag, the school did the right thing.
No it did not. It should have protected the right of free speech of the student. If a flag is going to cause a "safety concern" then there are bigger problems at the school that need to be addressed.

Quote:
A symbol that could start a fight on school grounds shouldn't be allowed either.
See above. The school could use it as a learning opportunity in regards to free speech and Southern history, instead of bending to the will of the politically correct.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:39 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by netbrad View Post
The First Amendment doesn't cease to exist because someone is offended.
No. But there is a certain level of decorum that is to be expected of students. Inflammatory trash like this does nothing to enhance the environment at schools.

Quote:
The is 100%, absolute BS. The Rebel flag is in no way, shape or form in the same category as Nazi symbols. The Rebel flag is a symbol of the Southern armies during the Civil War, nothing more. When the war was over nefarious anti-black groups adopted the flag as their "symbol" based on historical ignorance. This ignorance has continued to this day by the politically correct types that look to be offended by everything.
The war was a referendum on slavery and the dehumanization of one race. Confederate flags are a stark reminder of that and there no logical leaps about "Southern heritage" can really change that. There is certainly a comparison to Nazi symbols there.

Quote:
No it did not. It should have protected the right of free speech of the student. If a flag is going to cause a "safety concern" then there are bigger problems at the school that need to be addressed.
If you can't see why this willful act of aggression might cause some tension among teens with raging testosterone, I don't know what to say.

Quote:
See above. The school could use it as a learning opportunity in regards to free speech and Southern history, instead of bending to the will of the politically correct.
Perhaps they should have. But a real look at Southern history wouldn't reveal what you would like it to.

Old 06-05-2012, 12:56 PM

11,151 posts, read 15,833,975 times
If the students (boys AND girls) at my high school were made to take off every piece of clothing that carries an image of the Confederate Flag, a majority of the population would be walking around half naked. It's simply not an issue.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 PM

6,616 posts, read 13,830,417 times
I didn't go to school in the south, but I know NY rednecks who sport a Confederate flag on their trucks. It's rare, but does happen. It's more of a symbol of being a redneck rather than being racist here.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:00 PM

34,089 posts, read 82,964,986 times
Quote:
The Rebel flag is a symbol of the Southern armies during the Civil War, nothing more.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknown
The enduring symbol of an armed insurrection against my country
Not sure where I first heard this but it has stuck with me.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:14 PM

2,603 posts, read 5,021,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark of the Moon View Post
If the students (boys AND girls) at my high school were made to take off every piece of clothing that carries an image of the Confederate Flag, a majority of the population would be walking around half naked. It's simply not an issue.
Sounds like a scary place.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:28 PM

875 posts, read 1,162,427 times
Quote:
No. But there is a certain level of decorum that is to be expected of students. Inflammatory trash like this does nothing to enhance the environment at schools.
It is not inflammatory unless you/the school wishes it to be.

Quote:
The war was a referendum on slavery and the dehumanization of one race. Confederate flags are a stark reminder of that and there no logical leaps about "Southern heritage" can really change that. There is certainly a comparison to Nazi symbols there.
No it was not. The war was a referendum over the issue of state's rights regarding slavery. Slavery was wrong but that is not the issue we are discussing. The Southern armies didn't try to exterminate an entire race so there is absolutely zero comparison to Nazi symbolism.

Quote:
If you can't see why this willful act of aggression might cause some tension among teens with raging testosterone, I don't know what to say.
It is only a "willful act of aggression" to those who want to be offended by everything. If the Nation of Islam, New Black Panthers, Muslim Brotherhood or PLO displayed their flags would you also consider those "willful acts of aggression"?

Quote:
Exactly. Not an issue.

Old 06-05-2012, 01:34 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,158,318 times
netbrad, I'm glad I came across you on these forums, since you're the one who gets to decide who should be offended by what. Good thing you aren't African-American (I assume), because then I'm sure you'd decree that the rebel flag is offensive. But since you aren't, we all get to display it proudly in the faces of our AA neighbors. And if they protest, we can all just say "netbrad has decreed that it's not offensive, so there!"

Thanks, dude!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina