Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2015, 08:01 PM

72 posts, read 67,685 times

Advertisements

My husband is currently about to retire and we are looking at compiling a list of cities and states we should consider moving to. Many people have recommended Wilmington, NC to us, but wanted to come to this website for more advice.

He is from South Dakota and I am from Ohio and we have lived in various places throughout the country. What we are currently looking for though is somewhere with opportunities for him in marketing management, regional sales manager and the like. A commute time for my husband of 60 mins max, but prefer a places that could offer opportunities of 20-40 mins.

We have a son so would like a good small public school (under 700 great!) or even better, a small affordable private school. He has been taking acting classes for over a year and recently got an agent so a city/town where he can continue acting classes is a must for him. A huge plus is if there is a school in the area that is a performing arts school where students focus on their art along with traditional school lessons.

A community that offers parks with trails to walk/run and just enjoy nature would be great and a cute downtown to spend time in the community we live in. A town where we don't have to always drive 45-60+ to do anything. Maybe some museums and cultural places to visit within 30 mins or so. Good grocery stores (NOT only having Walmart as an option would be a huge plus)

I would like to get back into sewing classes (apparel) if there are any good towns/cities where they are available and to not be more than 30-60mins to a fabric shop.

Safe community.
Good library.
Not sure on home prices yet as depends on what market offers for job (my husband has over 15+yrs in sales)

Thank you for any feedback. It is greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2015, 10:27 PM

13,374 posts, read 27,049,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlw7002 View Post
We have a son so would like a good small public school (under 700 great!) or even better, a small affordable private school. He has been taking acting classes for over a year and recently got an agent so a city/town where he can continue acting classes is a must for him. A huge plus is if there is a school in the area that is a performing arts school where students focus on their art along with traditional school lessons.
You don't say what grade your son is in, but the best opportunities will be in Wilmington itself, not the suburbs. Wilmington high schools are in the range of 1600-1900 students. Middle and elementary schools are smaller.

It sounds like Wilmington is generally a good fit, but it is a city of about 110,000, not a small town. Good luck to your husband with his job search, although I am puzzled why you are calling your move "retirement". It sounds more like a another career move.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:27 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Yes, I don't understand "retirement" and the need for a job either. In any case, I'd suggest Winston-Salem. It is home to the UNC School of the Arts, a high school/college performing arts, fine arts and film school. Winston-Salem has several museums and a strong arts culture, a revitalized downtown, some good public schools, parks, a good corporate base for jobs, etc.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenage1 View Post
You don't say what grade your son is in, but the best opportunities will be in Wilmington itself, not the suburbs. Wilmington high schools are in the range of 1600-1900 students. Middle and elementary schools are smaller.

It sounds like Wilmington is generally a good fit, but it is a city of about 110,000, not a small town. Good luck to your husband with his job search, although I am puzzled why you are calling your move "retirement". It sounds more like a another career move.
Oh, my son is in elementary school and will be entering summer prior to 4th grade when we move.
We are ok with bigger towns, just hoping to find smaller schools. He went from a school of only 45 (pre-k through 12th) to a school of almost 600 (1-5th) and both my husband and I graduated from very small high schools (with under 40 in our class) so hoping to stay some what not too big of school for my son (Where graduating classes are in the hundreds and you don't really know everyone in your class, let alone your whole school)

And the retirement is a retiring from the military. Just because he is ending a 20yr military career, he isn't ready to stop working yet I didn't realize I had left out the military part in OP. I apologize.

Old 10-26-2015, 10:34 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,383,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejlw7002 View Post
Oh, my son is in elementary school and will be entering summer prior to 4th grade when we move.
We are ok with bigger towns, just hoping to find smaller schools. He went from a school of only 45 (pre-k through 12th) to a school of almost 600 (1-5th) and both my husband and I graduated from very small high schools (with under 40 in our class) so hoping to stay some what not too big of school for my son (Where graduating classes are in the hundreds and you don't really know everyone in your class, let alone your whole school)

And the retirement is a retiring from the military. Just because he is ending a 20yr military career, he isn't ready to stop working yet I didn't realize I had left out the military part in OP. I apologize.
One issue with schools in NC is that they are almost all organized at the County level, and so unless you're in a very small town, most schools are pretty good sized. My town is 3,000 population and our elementary school has over 700 students.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolinadawg2 View Post
One issue with schools in NC is that they are almost all organized at the County level, and so unless you're in a very small town, most schools are pretty good sized. My town is 3,000 population and our elementary school has over 700 students.
Even the private Cape Fear Academy has 700 students, and Wilmington Christian has 800+. There may be smaller Catholic and Christian schools.

Wilmington has the rest of your wish list: parks with trails, libraries, sewing shop, a museum and theater, decent grocery stores include Whole Foods, Trader Joes, Harris Teeter, Publix, Food Lion and Lowes.

Old 10-26-2015, 11:27 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
You could look at charter schools for small schools. Few public schools would be that small. The only ones I can think of would be very isolated like on an island reachable only by boat.

Old 10-26-2015, 03:38 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
If you don't need to be on the coast, I'll strongly second the recommendation for Winston-Salem. It was the first place that popped in my head while reading your post. It has everything you're asking for. Although it's a city, it's quite livable, and almost everything is within 20-25 minutes no matter where you are.

I also agree with the suggestion you consider charter or private schools if public schools are too big. Be aware, however, that not all charter schools are created equal. State regulations on charter schools are somewhat loose. Some are much better than others. You'll need to do your due diligence.

Old 10-26-2015, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
If you don't need to be on the coast, I'll strongly second the recommendation for Winston-Salem. It was the first place that popped in my head while reading your post....
There are even several places that offer acting lessons for kids in W-S, Oak Ridge, Kernersville or Greensboro. (I did not realize that kids as young as fourth grade took acting lessons, but I learn something new every day.)

Old 10-26-2015, 06:18 PM

Actually, kids as young as 6 take acting lessons, at least around here

Thank you all very much for the feedback. I really appreciate it. Going to definitely look more into Wilmington area (are there certain areas with better schools at elementary-high school level that would be better looking into- even if slightly bigger schools than we are used to?)

I will add Winston-Salem to the list. Being on coast is not a priority. Although my husband would love it, I would actually feel safer living a tad more inland.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina