Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2015, 05:01 PM

2 posts, read 3,301 times

Advertisements

So I am an attractive black female 23 years old and I really want to gtf out of where I am. I grew up in SoCal--went to college in Northeast--unfortunately I'm back in SoCal....I am not a fan of NorCal either (the posers and fake liberalism is nauseating). I just want a nice quaint town, with minimal overt racism. To be honest, I actually am leaving Califiornia to get away from the racism--it's extremely passive aggressive and prevalent. Also most of the racism as a black I've encountered have NOT been from whites but have been from Asians, Latinos, Arabs, Middle Easterners, and even Africans (when they find out I'm not Ethiopian) who think they are better when it's MY ancestors who fought in the civil rights they get to enjoy. My father grew up in the South in the 50s (during the civil rights era) so of course he is hesitant, my mother is from New York so she has negative views of the South as well. I get why they moved to California--for something different. But I am sick of California honestly. I kind of want to be around Americans (if that sounds bad, sue me) because I am sick of the snotty attitude I get from foreigners (Africans included).

The South has beautiful scenery and I've met many people from Duke, UNC, or who grew up in the area and they seem pleasant. I will probably apply to PhD program at Duke (although I know they have their fair share of problems--at least they are honest )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2015, 05:13 PM

4,639 posts, read 6,384,606 times
If you're going to attend Duke, then I'd live in Durham. Otherwise, your question is so broad as to be unanswerable. Chapel Hill might work for the very minimal criteria you provided. Its not far from Durham, so the commute to Duke is very possible. Plus its the home of UNC, which has lots of quality PHD programs also.

Old 06-01-2015, 07:40 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,979,189 times
I'm not sure why telling us your attractive matters lol

Old 06-01-2015, 10:28 PM

2 posts, read 3,301 times
@hey_guy: I guess it's my Southern California upbringing that leads me to do this...srsly though

Old 06-02-2015, 06:50 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
Quote:
I kind of want to be around Americans (if that sounds bad, sue me) because I am sick of the snotty attitude I get from foreigners (Africans included).
NC has its share of international transplants and visitors, particularly in the UNC and Duke communities. We're not exactly isolated from the rest of the world.

Other than
Quote:
I will probably apply to PhD program at Duke
do you plan to be job hunting? If so, what type of work? That will likely dictate your general location. Otherwise, I agree with carolinadawg2, Durham and Chapel Hill should meet your criteria.

P.S. Just a friendly word of advice... you might want to dial back your own attitude a notch or two if you want to be accepted well wherever you go.

Old 06-07-2015, 09:04 PM

Location: Charlotte,NC, US, North America, Earth, Alpha Quadrant,Milky Way Galaxy
3,770 posts, read 7,548,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme0908 View Post
So I am an attractive black female 23 years old and I really want to gtf out of where I am. I grew up in SoCal--went to college in Northeast--unfortunately I'm back in SoCal....I am not a fan of NorCal either (the posers and fake liberalism is nauseating). I just want a nice quaint town, with minimal overt racism. To be honest, I actually am leaving Califiornia to get away from the racism--it's extremely passive aggressive and prevalent. Also most of the racism as a black I've encountered have NOT been from whites but have been from Asians, Latinos, Arabs, Middle Easterners, and even Africans (when they find out I'm not Ethiopian) who think they are better when it's MY ancestors who fought in the civil rights they get to enjoy. My father grew up in the South in the 50s (during the civil rights era) so of course he is hesitant, my mother is from New York so she has negative views of the South as well. I get why they moved to California--for something different. But I am sick of California honestly. I kind of want to be around Americans (if that sounds bad, sue me) because I am sick of the snotty attitude I get from foreigners (Africans included).

The South has beautiful scenery and I've met many people from Duke, UNC, or who grew up in the area and they seem pleasant. I will probably apply to PhD program at Duke (although I know they have their fair share of problems--at least they are honest )
I'd say anywhere in the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. If you're going into a program at Duke then you're good to go. Beautiful area, great people of all ethnic backgrounds. That area I believe has the highest amount of college educated people (per capita) in NC.

Good Luck.

Old 06-09-2015, 06:32 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
I presume you know that NC is a large state--can you narrow down your geogrpahy more? Have you ever been here? If so, where have you been and what did you like about it? If not, visit before considering moving...not everything is how one expects it, and you should never move across country "blind", no matter what you're "heard".

Really only you can know what "is best for you". Your race is pretty irrelevant in any urban or suburban area of NC.

You also didn't say what you do for work or are planning to, nor whether you've even done any research on where the best market is in your field?

Old 09-08-2015, 01:49 PM

20 posts, read 27,927 times
I absolutely know where you are coming from. I have lived in both northern and southern California and the racism, rudeness and vulgarity is just too much for me. Not to mention the huge drug problem, terribly hot weather and the expense of living here. I am moving back to North Carolina. I am white, but I have black and Asian family members and have had since I was a child. My aunt is black. She and my uncle married in the 70's and I don't recall any problems even then. I also don't recall my cousins having any problems. The whole family is multi-national and we have had more problems in California than in the south. You should have no problems as long as you don't go farther west than the Asheville area. You shouldn't encounter much overt racism in western North Carolina, but you will simply feel out of place. There is very little diversity. Things have changed since your parents were young.

Old 09-09-2015, 04:08 PM

3,649 posts, read 4,503,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justme0908 View Post

I don't blame you, I'm an attractive white male 24 years old and I hated living in SoCal. I was in San Pedro and you're right, the racism was insane. I can't believe how many fights I got in just for being white. The fakeness of coastal Cali is pretty wild.

Anyway, not too sure what kind of scene you're into but if you can deal with a smaller metro region I think you'd probably like Durham or Chapel Hill. I've lived in both, and they have been very diverse and perfectly accepting of anyone from anywhere. You might like Raleigh, but as a single young female possibly going to Duke yeah you'd like it here It is smaller, though. Not like bumf*** small I mean there's about 1.5 million people spread out through a few cities, but even that is still less than half the pops of Los Angeles itself :P

Old 09-10-2015, 09:05 PM

1,965 posts, read 3,311,491 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHelmit View Post
I was in San Pedro and you're right, the racism was insane.
San Pedro is kind of rough except for up in the hills where it gets nicer. You would have had a completely different experience if you lived elsewhere such as PV, Redondo, Hermosa, Manhatten, nicer parts of Torrance.

To answer the OP's question, I think you're going to encounter racial tension wherever you go. North Carolina had and still has poor race relations. Wherever you end up, you may want to concentrate on the more affluent areas where at least the more violent elements are minimized.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina