Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2015, 05:52 PM

18 posts, read 25,410 times

Advertisements

We are in our late 60's and would like suggestions in NC that fit our "wish list" for a town and condo development (and I know NOWHERE will fit all or be perfect, just looking for a few places to start):

-Small town but near (1-2 hrs) larger airport (like Charlotte)

-Would LOVE to be near clean lake for swimming, walking (i.e. a lake that has a large part of coastline open to public use, not a lake whose shoreline is lined with private homes)

-A relatively new, well-built condo development with 3-4 bedroom units available in $400-500K range

-A SAFE area (this one is important to us - don't want break-ins, mugging, etc)

-Schools are NOT important (we're older/retired), but MEDICAL IS. Would like to be fairly near a good hospital and good doctors

Again, I know it's like trying to find the perfect mate - never all in one package!

Thanks for any help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2015, 06:52 PM

13,369 posts, read 27,030,896 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa Villa View Post
We are in our late 60's and would like suggestions in NC that fit our "wish list" for a town and condo development (and I know NOWHERE will fit all or be perfect, just looking for a few places to start):

-Small town but near (1-2 hrs) larger airport (like Charlotte)

-Would LOVE to be near clean lake for swimming, walking (i.e. a lake that has a large part of coastline open to public use, not a lake whose shoreline is lined with private homes)
I think will get better answers by placing the question in the Western North Carolina sub-forum, as most of the lakes with public access are located there. Here's an example of some older comments on lakes: http://www.city-data.com/forum/weste...797-lakes.html

I believe Lake James would suit your requirement for being near an airport and for have a large amount of public land. However, I don't know how well it suits your requirement for a large condo, as most of the rentals there are single-family homes.

Old 11-26-2015, 09:35 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
Actually, I think the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) might be a good fit. Jordan Lake is a state park, so not lined with houses at all. None. I can't vouch for how clean the water is, but there are public beaches there that seem to get a lot of use. Some of the best healthcare in the nation and certainly in the state at UNC and Duke.

Old 11-27-2015, 03:03 AM

18 posts, read 25,410 times
Thanks goldenage1, and a single-family home could work (would prefer condo but do find it's rare to find 3-4 bedrooms). Looking to buy, not rent.

And thanks poppydog, forgot Duke is in NC -good point!

Old 11-27-2015, 05:31 AM

4,639 posts, read 6,379,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
Actually, I think the Triangle (Raleigh, Durham, Chapel Hill) might be a good fit. Jordan Lake is a state park, so not lined with houses at all. None. I can't vouch for how clean the water is, but there are public beaches there that seem to get a lot of use. Some of the best healthcare in the nation and certainly in the state at UNC and Duke.
Apparently, not very:

"Jordan Lake is a man-made lake in North Carolina’s Triangle built by the Army Corps of Engineers. Completed in 1982, its health has been compromised for almost its entire existence. Since 1983, Jordan’s 14,000 acres of water have been listed as polluted. In 2002, the federal government determined that its water is impaired."

http://www.wakeupwakecounty.org/wp-c...ct-Sheet-1.pdf

Old 11-27-2015, 07:11 AM

As long as the OP is considering alternatives to the mountains, there are Lake Waccamaw and the Bladen Lakes in the coastal region. They are natural lakes, clean and swimmable. The scenery is attractive but flat. There is perhaps one condominium building on White Lake, but the are plenty of cottages they could buy for the budget. The hospitals include Bladen County, or ones in Southport or Myrtle Beach.

The airports are in Wilmington or Myrtle Beach. I am not sure if the OP wanted to leave the property vacant for long periods. If so, the risk of break-ins would be the main issue with safety.

Old 11-27-2015, 10:01 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,528,395 times
What about Kerr Lake and Lake Gaston along the Virginia line, north of the Triangle area?

Old 11-27-2015, 10:16 AM

I am going to suggest Lake Toxaway, NC where there are some gorgeous lake-front condos on Cold Mountain Road at Toxaway Shores. The airport could be Asheville or Greenville-Spartanburg. One listing example: http://www.realtor.com/realestateand...49-83087?row=6

BTW, I think Kerr Lake/Lake Gaston is not particularly swimmable because of the number of motor boats, although I have swum in it. It has private homes rather than condos. Lake Hickory could be another choice if the OP wanted to buy a single-family house.

The OP obviously has to prioritize some things over others. I believe that to get the nicest property, they need to sacrifice being within 2 hours of the Charlotte airport. For example, Lake Toxaway is 2 hours and 45 minutes to the CLT airport.

Last edited by goldenage1; 11-27-2015 at 10:34 AM..

Old 11-27-2015, 12:05 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,675,688 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rosa Villa View Post
Thanks goldenage1, and a single-family home could work (would prefer condo but do find it's rare to find 3-4 bedrooms). Looking to buy, not rent.

And thanks poppydog, forgot Duke is in NC -good point!
Moss Lake AKA Kings Mountain Reservoir belongs to City of Kings Mountain. You can't swim in it. It's not allowed. The closest public beach is at Lake Lure. Moss Lake is between City of Kings Mountain & Shelby. Cleveland Regional Hospital in Shelby is a level 2 trauma center. Cleveland Regional Hospital & Kings Mountain Hospital belong to CHS & some of the doctors also work at CMC main in Charlotte. You won't get a condo, only single family homes are available, & you aren't supposed to swim in the lake, but you're under an hour to CLT & under 30 minutes to decent hospitals.

It's all tradeoffs, no matter what choice you make. You just have to look at the locations. You might find something with less tradeoffs in Virginia, but maybe not. Have you looked in Delaware? The state caters to retired people.

Old 11-27-2015, 01:07 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,332,382 times
The healthcare in Winston-Salem is pretty good too. Obviously the prettiest lakes will be in rural areas but the best health care is in the Triangle. The Triad and Charlotte areas have some pretty good medical facilities too.

Jordan Lake's issues are due to growth a development upstream and poor government enforcement of the Jordan Lake Rules legislation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina