Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What has your experiance been with eligibility reviews
A horrible experience! They checked every name on my list! 0 0%
Bad. Make sure your paperwork is in order! They randomly check who you say you've sent resumes to. 1 33.33%
Routine. Just show them your Excel sheet and you'll be fine. 2 66.67%
A breeze! 0 0%
Voters: 3. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2009, 09:46 PM

1 posts, read 34,559 times

Advertisements

I'm to appear at the Employment Security Commission for an "Eligibility Review" on December 22nd, and I'm to bring my work search records.

Thankfully, I've dutifully kept an Excel spreadsheet of who I've been sending resumes to.

My question is this: How many employers are they going to call from my list? What if the employers they contact can't find my resume? Should I send all the employers a heads-up to expect a call from the NCESC?

Also: I've never been to an "eligibility review" before. I'd like to know what to expect. What has your experience been with "eligibility reviews"?

Last edited by Green Irish Eyes; 07-02-2010 at 12:52 PM.. Reason: Deleted copyrighted photo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-18-2009, 12:13 PM

1,166 posts, read 3,436,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr, Man View Post
I'm to appear at the Employment Security Commission for an "Eligibility Review" on December 22nd, and I'm to bring my work search records.

Thankfully, I've dutifully kept an Excel spreadsheet of who I've been sending resumes to.

My question is this: How many employers are they going to call from my list? What if the employers they contact can't find my resume? Should I send all the employers a heads-up to expect a call from the NCESC?

Also: I've never been to an "eligibility review" before. I'd like to know what to expect. What has your experience been with "eligibility reviews"?
In my office, they're quite simple. Just provide your work search records for the period they've requested and you'll be fine. Make sure you have the required number of contacts for each week (no contact should be the same in any one 6-week period). They should offer you a new worksearch record and send you on your way. In my office, we don't call any of the employers.

As a side note, if this eligibility review is occurring while you're receiving Extended Benefits (EB) and you don't show up for the appointment, an issue WILL be set on your claim and stop it dead in its tracks. Then, only by the local office submitting a fact finding to Raleigh detailing why you missed your appointment and asking them to make a ruling as to your continued eligibility since you missed your appointment, may your claim be re-started (Raleigh can elect to disqualify you altogether for missing the appointment). I'm not saying you're going to blow off your appointment, as it sounds as if you have every intention of going. I just added this for those who think that it's ok to blow off the appointment and think nothing will happen. Think again.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:18 PM

334 posts, read 625,994 times
MY husband was denied and went to his hearing with a lawyer. He won btw, he brought all his records with him, and they copied them all and god knows what will be doen with them,. So many apps are filled out online, I have no idea how they can check all those, we copied the last page of all of his, and that seemed to be helpful. I think most of those, you can go back online to that page and bring them up, then copy it. make sure that doesn't change the application date, through it shouldn't.
Be positive, have a good attitude and answer just the question it and nothing more. Say goodmorning to all of whoever is there, and at the end , thank them for their time. THis seemed to make a good impression, my husband always does this, so do I< so I am surprissed they were surprised at it. Where have alll the manners gone is what I owuld like to know.

Old 01-11-2010, 05:35 PM

8,963 posts, read 8,918,308 times
How long have you been out of work now?

Old 07-02-2010, 11:24 AM

1 posts, read 33,241 times
how many previous extensions must i bring work search records for?

Old 10-21-2010, 11:36 AM

1 posts, read 31,840 times
how many job search do i have to have for each week

Old 10-21-2010, 12:24 PM

407 posts, read 660,865 times
i was told to bring the last 5-6 weeks

Old 10-21-2010, 01:11 PM

776 posts, read 1,684,362 times
I've been hearing similar things and alot of the info on this is unfortunately buried in the NC Unemployment Extension thread...including info from a rep (jdljr) who posted here. I just got my first review appointment in the mail also...I think it's on the 29th, so I'm scrambling.

What we've learned is that you will typically be called in for a review only when you're on EB...roughly around every 4 weeks. You need to have filled out one of their forms, which can be found at their website. It sounds like you only need to go back as far as you're first week on EB, which should be 4-6 weeks prior. As for the requirements, from everything I've read here:

-AT LEAST 2 different contacts per week.
-These two contacts cannot be made on the same day. In other words, you can't say that you talked to Jack on Wednesday and then you talked to Frank on Wednesday.
-You apparently cannot repeat these contacts on previous weeks. In other words, If you talked to Frank 3 weeks ago and talk to him last week...that doesn't count.

The latter seems to be a problem I have. I talked to the same person regarding two different jobs on two separate weeks. Now I usually try to contact 3 or more people a week...but I only contacted two on this particular week. That's my dilemma at the moment, and it'd be pretty damn cold for them to take away my benefits because of something so ridiculous as that.

There seems to be some question as to what happens when you go down there. I've heard some people say you're there for 2 minutes, where they just make a copy of your job search form, give you a new one, and send you on your way. Other offices apparently sit you down and have a quick 5 minute chat about how you're doing, etc. Now, do they check to make sure you're not BS'ing? It's possible, so be as concise as possible on these forms. jdljr informed us that his office does not, but I think someone on here once posted that their Charlotte office has stripped people of benefits for not keeping adequate records.

So, just make sure it's accurate, concise...and hopefully you'll be out of there in no time.

Old 12-28-2010, 05:21 PM

747 posts, read 2,105,625 times
I had mine today, down off of Albermarle (a part of town Ive never been before). Appt was @ 1, got there at 12:45, couldnt even find a seat. At 1, a man said that everyone who was scheduled at 1 to form a line. We then were led into another room, and told to sit. The person in charge explained that we were there to turn in the last 2 weeks worth of search records. She explained that when we were finished filling them out, we would form a line to turn them in to her. She would check them for completion, and then we could return to our seats. When all the sheets had been turned in, she would photocopy them, and then return the copies to us, and then we could go. I had filled mine out on my computer, and printed them out. Of the 40-50 people there, most didnt even bring blank pages with them, never mind already had them filled out. So I stood up and walked up to her. She looked at my papers, and said I could go sit. I explained that I didnt need copies, I had saved them in Word. So she let me go. No questions, no interview, nothing.
So it goes to show that if you prepare the sheets in advance, it should be a quick "interview". I was in and out in less than 30 minutes.

Old 01-29-2011, 01:50 PM

1 posts, read 30,184 times
the forms can be found at [url=http://www.ncesc1.com/individual/downloads/downloadmain.asp]ESC NC Individual Services: Downloads[/url]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina