Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 08:26 AM

36 posts, read 30,774 times

Advertisements

Hello,

So me and my husband are in the process of moving to North Carolina from Florida.
I would love some inputs and help from people familiar with the areas or living in North Carolina.

We were looking at the triangle area ( Raleigh, Garner, holly springs, knightdale ) as well as the triad area ( Winston Salem, Greensboro, Thomasville, Clemmons, Lewisville, Asheboro ) ect....
We were also considering Asheville but not sure, my husband seem to think it will not fit our needs.
We just dont really know where to look, there are so many cities and towns.

We will be driving up in March to start looking at rentals, we do not want to buy just yet, probably after 1 year or 2 to make sure we like the area we are. We do want a pet friendly town since we have 2 big dogs. we do not have kids but want some pretty soon, so kid/family friendly is a plus. I really want an area that get snow, and I research Raleigh area, doesn't seem to have much

so if anyone has some inputs, ideas, information, let me know!

thank you for taking the time to read and reply
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 08:36 AM

1,737 posts, read 2,575,270 times
Where is your job going to be?

Old 02-25-2016, 09:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucctgg View Post
Where is your job going to be?
We are searching at the same time as we wanted to make sure we find a place to rent within driving distance of our jobs.
My husband is in the health industry, can work at any hospitals/ doctor office/ labs.
I have experience in health administration, veterinary, horses.

I just want some inputs on areas so I can narrow down our choices. I do not want to rent in Raleigh for example if we find jobs in winston salem. We are actively searching and wont move until we have jobs secure. I just need help with our searches both for jobs and place to live

Old 02-25-2016, 09:37 AM

13,374 posts, read 27,055,140 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucie0304 View Post
We were looking at the triangle area ( Raleigh, Garner, holly springs, knightdale ) as well as the triad area ( Winston Salem, Greensboro, Thomasville, Clemmons, Lewisville, Asheboro ) ect....
We were also considering Asheville but not sure, my husband seem to think it will not fit our needs.
.... We do want a pet friendly town since we have 2 big dogs. we do not have kids but want some pretty soon, so kid/family friendly is a plus.
I agree that the Asheville area will have more limited opportunities than the Triangle or the Triad. You might also look at Greenville in the eastern part of the state because it is strong in healthcare jobs. It is also easier than the Triangle to get into a rural area where it might be easier to find a rental with two large dogs.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:51 AM

261 posts, read 380,759 times
I don't understand what "inputs" you are seeking. Lots of places are both kid/family and pet friendly. Finding a rental with 2 dogs may be difficult.

How much snow do you want to see? Is that really a deal breaker? Outside of the mountains, snow can range from nonexistent to a couple of small events each winter. The Triad gets more snow than the Triangle, but its going to be an occasional, 2 or 3 times a winter kind of thing, usually with small accumulation.

Have you ever been to NC? If so, what areas appealed to you and why? If not, you need to visit.

Last edited by Coastal Planner; 02-25-2016 at 10:02 AM..

Old 02-25-2016, 09:59 AM

4,218 posts, read 8,533,143 times
The Triad would be a great area for you to look... closer to the mountains for periodic snow and good health care opportunities. Lots of parks and greenways for dog walking. You don't need a rural area for 2 large dogs, but finding a suitable rental may be difficult. As for suitable towns or cities, if dog parks are a desired amenity, look at each city's website for Parks and Rec to see if dog parks are available. They will be in most any city of any size.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post
I don't understand what "inputs" you are seeking. Lots of places are both kid/family and pet friendly. Finding a rental with 2 dogs may be difficult.

How much snow do you want to see? Is that really a deal breaker? Outside of the mountains, snow can range from nonexistent to a couple of small events each winter. The Triad gets more snow than the Triangle, but its going to be an occasional, 2 or 3 times a winter kind of thing, usually with small accumulation.

Have you ever been to NC? If so, what areas appealed to you and why? If not, you need to visit.

by inputs I mean opinions from people who have lived in the areas. are they safe areas? , whats the weather like year round ? is it hard to find jobs ? ect.. ,

snow is not a deal breaker but i would like some on a yearly basis. if not, i can always drive to the mountains. but it would be a big plus for me. I was raised around snow and would like to do the same for my kids, but again, not deal breaker right now since we dont have kids yet and arent planning to buy yet either.

I have been around asheville and really enjoyed it. I like that asheville was a nice size city but you could still access the mountains and national parks like chimney rock and dupont sate forest with minimal drive. I would prefer smaller towns, stress free, we are active people who like to hike and be outside, I am also a horse person and love to ride. but my husband needs to be closer to bigger city were he can still work in the healthcare industry without having to drive 2 hours.
I would love 4 seasons, dont mind the hot summer since we are in Florida right now. but want to have real winters like the one im used to.

Old 02-25-2016, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
The Triad would be a great area for you to look... closer to the mountains for periodic snow and good health care opportunities. Lots of parks and greenways for dog walking. You don't need a rural area for 2 large dogs, but finding a suitable rental may be difficult. As for suitable towns or cities, if dog parks are a desired amenity, look at each city's website for Parks and Rec to see if dog parks are available. They will be in most any city of any size.

dog parks are not that important since we exercise our dogs everyday but it is a plus if nearby. we want a smaller town and still have woods and/or mountains nearby to go hike. but my husband need a hospital or doctor offices in general in the area so he can find a job. we like to be outside and I also ride horses.

I was also thinking triad might be better than the triangle area.

Old 02-25-2016, 12:48 PM

261 posts, read 380,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucie0304 View Post
by inputs I mean opinions from people who have lived in the areas. are they safe areas? , whats the weather like year round ? is it hard to find jobs ? ect.. ,

snow is not a deal breaker but i would like some on a yearly basis. if not, i can always drive to the mountains. but it would be a big plus for me. I was raised around snow and would like to do the same for my kids, but again, not deal breaker right now since we dont have kids yet and arent planning to buy yet either.

I have been around asheville and really enjoyed it. I like that asheville was a nice size city but you could still access the mountains and national parks like chimney rock and dupont sate forest with minimal drive. I would prefer smaller towns, stress free, we are active people who like to hike and be outside, I am also a horse person and love to ride. but my husband needs to be closer to bigger city were he can still work in the healthcare industry without having to drive 2 hours.
I would love 4 seasons, dont mind the hot summer since we are in Florida right now. but want to have real winters like the one im used to.
There are safe areas in all the communities you mentioned. The weather is not going to vary much...hot summers, short, fairly mild winters. Asheville is slightly cooler in the summer, and has more of winter. Its also an area with pretty low wages, and high housing costs. Charlotte and The Triangle have higher housing costs than the Triad.

Old 02-25-2016, 03:19 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,832,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coastal Planner View Post

Yes, I hope you (OP) realize how very very vague your request is. We can't find work for you, and we can't tell you where YOU will be happiest. Yet that seems to be exactly what you are expecting?

Research the various areas via general Google searches, Wikipedia, and City-Data's own pages on the various states and cities (different from the forum). Here is their page on NC, with links to all the cities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina