Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2016, 03:45 AM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I grew up in NC and lived there until 2003. K-12 education was at the bottom, ranked with Guam, and religious nuts ran government. Much of the rural population was insanely conservative, racist, anti-gay, anti-foreigner, anti-feminist, and anti-secular. The current political situation is sad but hardly surprising. I'm very impressed with the national outrage, however! The times, they are a-changin'.
The progressive nature of NC is "to seem rather than to be".

Old 04-16-2016, 05:52 AM

1,116 posts, read 1,210,307 times
I wonder how many people who are upset with HB2 didn't vote in 2010? I wonder how many people who are upset with HB2 voted republican in 2010 because Obamacare. This is on you. This is why we have a gerrymandered legislature that can pass laws so out of step with NC.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:38 AM

1,545 posts, read 1,874,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west seattle gal View Post
I grew up in NC and lived there until 2003. K-12 education was at the bottom, ranked with Guam, and religious nuts ran government. Much of the rural population was insanely conservative, racist, anti-gay, anti-foreigner, anti-feminist, and anti-secular. The current political situation is sad but hardly surprising. I'm very impressed with the national outrage, however! The times, they are a-changin'.
NC was not ranked with Guam in education in 2003 neither was it at the bottom. Like now, it's been at the bottom of what they pay their teachers, Not educational rank. People still make this claim, mixing up the two to mean one in the same. Yes, better teachers can equate to better quality of students, but in all states, the level of poverty drags down scores. Often lacking basic resources such as books, computer labs, updated library, actual teacher and not a sub, etc.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-wit...-schools/5335/

In 2015 NC ranked again at the bottom of teacher pay but ranked higher(21) in educational rank than NY(34) and California(43). Both considered more liberal and more educated. I'm pretty positive in the more affluent areas of these states you have some of the best schools in the country as far as k-12 goes. But money really explains the differences in education rankings than politics. As far as tolerance goes it becomes hypocritical for people to bash a state when we are seeing forms of discrimination going on every where in the country. Where as in people level their anger is genuine but as far as some of these musicians and businesses goes, it's more so just a stunt when you think about the countries they have either visited/have operations in despite far stricter laws and penalties than what they pulled out of NC for.

Old 04-16-2016, 06:38 AM

7,190 posts, read 6,827,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VASpaceMan View Post
Northern Virginia is solidly democrat and is basically just a suburb of DC. Charlottesville is a liberal college town in the mountains, kind of similar to your Asheville. Richmond is liberal downtown, but the burbs are conservative. My hometown of Hampton Roads - blue collar military and conservative.
I agree. During my recent years here, I've noticed southside VA seems to be one of the most conservative areas of the state. Hell, one of my neighbors has a Trump campaign sign in their yard and I've seen quite a few Trump signs floating around Damnville. I have yet to see any Democratic candidate signs. Farmville VA was pretty red also when I lived there from 2009-2011. If there's any blue here, it's well-hidden. But back to NC, yeah it's usually blue in the cities and red in the rural areas, with the exception of eastern NC, where a few counties sometimes go blue during elections due to a large black population in eastern NC that tends to vote Democrat.

Old 04-16-2016, 09:43 AM

1,751 posts, read 1,685,561 times
These regressive policies can't survive much longer. I suspect that this years attempts by the GA in VA to enact decency laws will be the last. While the burbs may be more conservative than the cities, they are becoming more liberal with every passing day. In Virginia NOVA isn't the only populated area that is liberal. With the exception of Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, all of the cities in Tidewater are liberal (Newport News, Hampto, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Suffolk). In the Richmond area, Henrico county (population 350k) has been solidly blue for four election cycles. Chesterfield (360k) is within a few percentage points of switching too. Richmond and Petersburg are navy blue.

NC has too many storied institutions and too many global companies to put up with hillbilly politics. Conservatives have made a big play because they are aware that their days are numbered. It's a shame that so much money and time will be invested in defending polices that will be struck down when they reach the courts.

The Virginia General Assemly passed the same laws but our governor (who repeatedly exceeds my expectations) has vetoed all of them. Unlike NC, the republicans don't have a veto-proof majority in VA so the vetoes will hold. The governor of LA has also vetoed similar laws. Elections matter.

Old 04-16-2016, 10:43 AM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
Now for some common sense thinking, based on your state constitution.

It is painfully obvious that most people have no clue as to what the NC Constitution states, regarding what rights the state has versus what rights the cities/town have to make law.

The fact is that Charlotte CANNOT do some of the things they tried to do, per your constitution. The same constitution the democrats worked under. It simply is not allowed, therefore as poorly written as HB2 may have been, Charlotte caused the need to be stopped from proceeding......per your constitution.

There were no bathroom use issues prior to what Charlotte tried to implement. Why change something which was working fine, as no one knew who was who in the bathroom anyhow? Bad on Charlotte for trying to do so and creating this uproar. They were informed before doing so, that it was unconstitutional.

People keep bringing up the bathroom as the main issue with regards to privacy. It is NOT. The Charlotte ordinance would have created a major issue in locker rooms and SHOWERS. It would have allowed biological males to shower with biological females, as long as they claim they identify as females. There are two huge problems with that. Females should have the RIGHT to shower in what they consider dignity. They are not bigoted in not wanting to shower with biological males, no matter how many times they are called that. The second issue is can you imagine how many horny teenage and twenty-something males would "claim" they identify as female, in order to be able to shower with a bunch of naked females? Not touch them or take pictures, but shower with them. It could not be policed. Can you imagine a shower full of females, horny males and police? What a disaster it would be, It would have absolutely nothing to do with transgendered people.

Why are Transgenders attached to LGB? They are completely different situations.

I find it amazing how people who claim to be open minded and inclusive, find it so easy to degrade people who want their privacy in certain facilities, they way it always was. They are not wrong and true Transgenders are not wrong either. To be truly open minded and inclusive, one needs to understand how everyone feels and find proper solutions for all......NOT just for one side, while vilifying the other.

Going back to the bathroom issue, I wonder what issues there would be in most facilities anyhow. There is almost always a family or single room bathroom onsite that can be used going forward. It's not like a huge percent of the population is Transgender and there will be a line a football field long. Then again, if Charlotte left well enough alone, none of this would have happened. Or they should have petitioned at the STATE LEVEL, as they are supposed to.

Please read your state constitution.

I applaud Cyndi Lauper for still entertaining innocent people of NC and using that money to help make change.....which would need to be done at the STATE level or in the state CONSTITUTION. Shame on the other hypocrites who try to punish the innocent citizens of the state, yet have no problem entertain in absolutely horrific places.

Final thought. While HB2 is not perfect and certainly needs re-work, be happy you have your governor and not ours here in Florida. OMG!

Old 04-16-2016, 12:22 PM

3,084 posts, read 4,859,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencer114 View Post
These regressive policies can't survive much longer. I suspect that this years attempts by the GA in VA to enact decency laws will be the last. While the burbs may be more conservative than the cities, they are becoming more liberal with every passing day. In Virginia NOVA isn't the only populated area that is liberal. With the exception of Chesapeake and Virginia Beach, all of the cities in Tidewater are liberal (Newport News, Hampto, Norfolk, Portsmouth and Suffolk). In the Richmond area, Henrico county (population 350k) has been solidly blue for four election cycles. Chesterfield (360k) is within a few percentage points of switching too. Richmond and Petersburg are navy blue.

NC has too many storied institutions and too many global companies to put up with hillbilly politics. Conservatives have made a big play because they are aware that their days are numbered. It's a shame that so much money and time will be invested in defending polices that will be struck down when they reach the courts.

The Virginia General Assemly passed the same laws but our governor (who repeatedly exceeds my expectations) has vetoed all of them. Unlike NC, the republicans don't have a veto-proof majority in VA so the vetoes will hold. The governor of LA has also vetoed similar laws. Elections matter.
Too much invested.

Power hungry right now. I honestly just don't think they thought this through...and are now in damage control mode. It's one thing to oppose a local ordinance, its quite another to turn that into a manifesto regarding your doctrine. They overreached. And when you hear them talk, they talk about kids in bathrooms....like that's all they said. I guess its like any politician, they think the general public doesn't pay attention...they do, and watch in a few months or in the fall when someone puts an economic number on it...that number is going to be ugly.

Old 04-16-2016, 12:53 PM

23,814 posts, read 34,693,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HP91 View Post
Too much invested.

Power hungry right now. I honestly just don't think they thought this through...and are now in damage control mode. It's one thing to oppose a local ordinance, its quite another to turn that into a manifesto regarding your doctrine. They overreached. And when you hear them talk, they talk about kids in bathrooms....like that's all they said. I guess its like any politician, they think the general public doesn't pay attention...they do, and watch in a few months or in the fall when someone puts an economic number on it...that number is going to be ugly.
Oh, I think that Tim Moore knows just as well as Roy Cooper that HB2 is going down in flames when it hits the courts. He's a very good lawyer. Just my opinion, but I think he's tired of trying to talk sense with the nutjobs.

Old 04-16-2016, 02:05 PM

3,909 posts, read 2,122,988 times
SHOCKING!! Some just pull the "privacy" card or the "safety" card but find no statistical proof.

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...0320111756.htm

Old 04-16-2016, 02:48 PM

8,704 posts, read 10,907,195 times
If a woman wants to finish her workout and then shower in a female only shower as she always has, with no biological males in the shower with her, why can't she without being called all kinds of awful names? This is not just about toilet stalls.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina