Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 12:48 PM

2,424 posts, read 3,537,656 times

Advertisements

Good read article from WRAL. NC is waging a war on teachers and they are winning based on the number of college students in the UNC system going into teaching, down 30% since 2010 and still declining. This is terrible and inexcusable, IMO.

After inflation, NC teacher pay has dropped 13% in past 15 years :: WRAL.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 12:59 PM

I think this Harry Truman quote, made over 70 years ago is appropriate for the current NC government.

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home–but not for housing. They are strong for labor–but they are stronger for restricting labor’s rights. They favor minimum wage–the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all–but they won’t spend money for teachers or for schools. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine–for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing–but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They think American standard of living is a fine thing–so long as it doesn’t spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."

Old 04-28-2016, 01:21 PM

299 posts, read 249,626 times
If you did not know that it was an election year the continuous propaganda pieces on WRAL would. Wish I could earn that kind money working part time. Oh and also get those benefits. Sadly I don't.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:29 PM

2,668 posts, read 7,159,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
If you did not know that it was an election year the continuous propaganda pieces on WRAL would. Wish I could earn that kind money working part time. Oh and also get those benefits. Sadly I don't.

Oh boy. As a result of the decline of the teaching profession in NC, we can look forward to many more ignorant comments like this one coming from the uneducated masses.

Old 04-28-2016, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by arbyunc View Post
Oh boy. As a result of the decline of the teaching profession in NC, we can look forward to many more ignorant comments like this one coming from the uneducated masses.

Really? I almost certainly graduated from a better institution than you did. Just the usual name calling.

See number 2:

https://www.timeshighereducation.com...cols/rank_only

Old 04-28-2016, 01:44 PM

1,050 posts, read 698,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlhm5 View Post
I think this Harry Truman quote, made over 70 years ago is appropriate for the current NC government.

"Republicans approve of the American farmer, but they are willing to help him go broke. They stand four-square for the American home–but not for housing. They are strong for labor–but they are stronger for restricting labor’s rights. They favor minimum wage–the smaller the minimum wage the better. They endorse educational opportunity for all–but they won’t spend money for teachers or for schools. They think modern medical care and hospitals are fine–for people who can afford them. They consider electrical power a great blessing–but only when the private power companies get their rake-off. They think American standard of living is a fine thing–so long as it doesn’t spread to all the people. And they admire the Government of the United States so much that they would like to buy it."
Thanks for pulling this great quote from history to tell today's story.

Makes me really sad how we're sinking as a nation

Old 04-28-2016, 01:52 PM

'but they won't spend money for teachers or schools?' Huh? so where do the billions go each year?

Old 04-28-2016, 04:59 PM

3,866 posts, read 4,279,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trump2016 View Post
Plenty of openings for several of those part-time jobs and unequalled benefits....give it a shot Einstein and impart that hifalutin edumacation on the youth. Much like the dimwit you support, doubt you'd last a week on a real job. One thing about kids, they can spot bullsht a mile away and don't mind providing feedback.

Old 04-28-2016, 06:17 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,530,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Plenty of openings for several of those part-time jobs and unequalled benefits....give it a shot Einstein and impart that hifalutin edumacation on the youth. Much like the dimwit you support, doubt you'd last a week on a real job. One thing about kids, they can spot bullsht a mile away and don't mind providing feedback.
My stepdaughter, who is a "part-time" elementary school guidance counselor in a low income school, thanks you, as do I. She's worked summer jobs to make ends meet ever since she finished her master's degree, even as she pursued accreditation and re-accreditation some of those the summers she had "off."

Old 04-29-2016, 08:17 AM

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina