Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 02:36 PM

31 posts, read 22,031 times

Advertisements

So next week or the week after I'm going to go from New York and check out Raleigh, Durham and Winston-Salem.
I'm planning on spending about 10 days out.
Now, I'm 32, single, no kids, no wife, NOTHING to hold me down. I am free.
Where should I spend the most time looking for work and housing out of these?
All I want, is to meet people my age and younger, things to do, jobs that'll pay the bills and affordable rent that I don't have to worry about people breaking in to my car or place and stealing. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 02:51 PM

398 posts, read 498,455 times
I'm not sure how to even begin to answer your question, so I'll ask you some questions. What is your definition of "affordable rent"? What kind of work are you looking for/qualified for? Is proximity to beach or mountains important? What kind of things do you like to do?

Old 04-28-2016, 03:04 PM

530 posts, read 637,891 times
I think Winston-Salem is perfectly fine, but it isn't going to be what you want. It is more affordable, however, it is not going to be a a good place for a single guy looking for things to do.

Focus on Raleigh and Durham. Particularly the central areas of both cities. That would inside the beltline Raleigh and the downtown and 9th st area of Durham. They both have smallish downtowns, but they are can be fun and offer a nice social life. Obviously NOTHING like New York, but I would assume you realize that.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:22 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,532,029 times
You may be getting the proverbial cart before the horse by looking at cities before you have a job. I think you can find a reasonably good social life in all of the cities you've named. Focus on the job first.

If you plan to job hunt in 3 cities during your 10 day stay, you need a well-defined, clear cut plan. I believe from your earlier posts that your experience is in small engine repair, or something similar. Definitely look at job postings online before you leave for NC. Timco Aviation, at the Piedmont Triad Airport, between Winston-Salem and Greensboro, has several job openings listed on Indeed.com. That's only one possibility.

Otherwise, it's practically impossible to say how long to stay in each city. If you can be flexible and go with the flow once you get to NC, that's what I'd recommend.

Old 04-28-2016, 03:34 PM

530 posts, read 637,891 times
Yeah the primary industries in Raleigh and Durham are biotech, medical field, IT, software engineering. That kind of thing.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Dawg View Post
I'm not sure how to even begin to answer your question, so I'll ask you some questions. What is your definition of "affordable rent"? What kind of work are you looking for/qualified for? Is proximity to beach or mountains important? What kind of things do you like to do?
I don't want to drive 30 minutes to get to civilization/town.
Affordable would be like $600 maybe $700/month. All I need is fridge, washer/dryer and stove. One bed room w/bathroom, living room and kitchen. Don't need anything else.
I can do just about anything that doesn't require a college degree. If anyone wants to train me, that's fine too. I can adapt to anything that I can make $ and pay my bills.
Trust me, whatever you have going on in your areas are way, and I mean WAY more and better than where I am. There is NOTHING here...and I do mean nothing. If you're in to nature, you're good. Anything else? NOTHING. No jobs, nothing to do, everywhere is at least 40 minutes away. It's very rural.
It's great for old people and people who are retired.

You say there's not much for young people in Winston-Salem? Then shall I rule that out? I mean that is a big reason I'm leaving where I am. Aside from nothing to do and no jobs to be had, all of the rent is usually at least $1000/month and you really don't get anything for that money. It's a big waste.
So in short, things to do, opportunities for work and LIFE in general. I want to meet a girl, make some new friends.
In terms of things to do? Bike rides, weight lifting, in door rock climbing, bowling, pool, places to casually meet people (and I'm not talking bar). Clubs, you name it. I'm interested in lots of new things anyway.
I can't stress to you enough how dead my area is...New York is too expensive and the people suck. That's what really means the most to me. A place where I can meet people and develop more social skills, pacts, groups, etc.
Eventually I'd like to learn how to fly a helicopter. If a company wants to train me in that, or I can get my CDL. I'll deliver machines or drive trucks, even run machines. I have experience, I just need a place where they will let me train more as I work. Like I said, I have nothing where I am and I have nothing holding me down. I'm very open to suggestions.

Last edited by eliterazor; 04-28-2016 at 04:22 PM..

Old 04-28-2016, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
You may be getting the proverbial cart before the horse by looking at cities before you have a job. I think you can find a reasonably good social life in all of the cities you've named. Focus on the job first.

If you plan to job hunt in 3 cities during your 10 day stay, you need a well-defined, clear cut plan. I believe from your earlier posts that your experience is in small engine repair, or something similar. Definitely look at job postings online before you leave for NC. Timco Aviation, at the Piedmont Triad Airport, between Winston-Salem and Greensboro, has several job openings listed on Indeed.com. That's only one possibility.

Otherwise, it's practically impossible to say how long to stay in each city. If you can be flexible and go with the flow once you get to NC, that's what I'd recommend.

I can't look for a job, if I don't have an area to look in....your analogy isn't exactly suitable to this situation. I get your point none-the-less though.

Old 04-28-2016, 04:18 PM

I want to state something else, when I go, I'm not going to go and just move there. The idea is look first hand and see what's there, get in with something if I can while I'm there, if not, now I know where to look at apply to. Get a job, then move there.
Ultimately it comes down to job and housing, in that order. Personally my biggest issue is, finding my place/area. Once I find my place I like and want to be in, my motivational drive will kick in and I'll find a job.
I'm not really "worried" much about that.
Finding the place to start, is my issue.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:02 PM

2,844 posts, read 2,977,796 times
Your desired rent is actually a little low for Raleigh/Durham I would suggest Greensboro/Winston-Salem

Honestly if you're just looking to scratch a life and not a professional and a happening cool place I would suggest Asheville NC.

Old 04-28-2016, 05:06 PM

398 posts, read 498,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Your desired rent is actually a little low for Raleigh/Durham I would suggest Greensboro/Winston-Salem

Honestly if you're just looking to scratch a life and not a professional and a happening cool place I would suggest Asheville NC.
Rents in Asheville are higher than Raleigh and jobs are scarce.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina