Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2006, 06:39 PM

1,895 posts, read 6,169,531 times

Advertisements

Welcome Susie,
We relocated from NY in 1998 -- first to south Charlotte and now in Union county (my kids are on the Marvin side). With regard to Porter Ridge, they should have results in December I think, according to the state report card site. I love the "campus" there, it's gorgeous. Best of luck in your move
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2006, 07:00 PM

2,209 posts, read 7,656,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleestak View Post
Hi JKJ,

This might be a little off topic, but I've always been curious about the Pine Barrens region of New Jersey. I might be mistaken, but I got the impression that it was a rural, sparsely populated area. Given the volume of people moving south, I always wondered why the pine barrens area hasn't experienced more growth. Are there environmental factors that make it undesirable? Is the area all locked up as parkland? Just curious...any information would be appreciated. Thanks.
We camped there as teenagers a long long time ago

Old 11-28-2006, 11:41 PM

16 posts, read 103,483 times
You sound like us with all your moves. My husband and I have been married for 35 years and moved 14 times, though this is the longest we've ever lived any place. Originally from MA, we moved to two different towns in central FL, and then ended out outside New Orleans, LA. (Personally, I don't like FL or LA, but that's my opinion.) Moved back to MA to be close to family 22 years ago and lived on Cape Cod. Loved it there except for the high prices, LONG WINTERS, and horrible employment opportunities. Ended up moving here to Wilmington, NC eleven years ago and love NC. The climate is great, prices are a less and there's better employment than Cape Cod, though the pay scale stinks. But, you don't have to worry about shoveling snow, and the beaches are wonderful. If you need more info about Wilmington, email me and I'll be happy to help.

Old 11-29-2006, 11:01 AM

108 posts, read 374,395 times
Default Thanksgiving in NC

We just came back from NC.

First, let me say NEVER take 75N through Georgia!! What a mistake, so much traffic that we needed a hotel for the nite. Anyway, the towns we were impressed with were Asheville, Conover, Lincolnton and Mayden, Morresville and Lake Norman. We did not like the feel of Hendersonville and Hickory, though we may work in Hickory and live in Conover, a little town where my uncle lives, so nice, the center of town is all lit up for the holidays, seems like a great place. My cousin is a realitor, and he said we would not want to raise a child in Hickory.

Old 11-29-2006, 03:34 PM

5 posts, read 18,222 times
Default homes in NC

Looking for homes when your are out of the state, sometimes can be difficult because you have limited time to spend looking. I have to say the city of Kannapolis is in a transition from textile to technology. We are building a 1.25 billion dollar research center in the heart of the city. I can not think of a nicer area than this. The real benefit is homes are cheap now and with the growth in progress, your purchase is not only for shelter but an investments. the People in this area are very nice, a little laid back but it is the south. If I can help in any way let me know...

Old 11-29-2006, 06:15 PM

17 posts, read 54,550 times
Born and raised in Kannapolis/Concord area and know just about anything you'd want to know. PM me for any detailed questions.

Old 11-30-2006, 09:15 AM

1,408 posts, read 8,022,182 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NancyCL View Post
Ended up moving here to Wilmington, NC eleven years ago and love NC. The climate is great, prices are a less and there's better employment than Cape Cod, though the pay scale stinks. But, you don't have to worry about shoveling snow, and the beaches are wonderful. If you need more info about Wilmington, email me and I'll be happy to help.
Hi Nancy,

My husband and I are looking to move from MA (lakeville, ma actually - not far from the bourne bridge) to the wilmington, nc area. We're looking at New Bern, Beaufort, Morehead City and Wilmington. Can you tell me a little bit about wilmington? My husband is a senior buyer on the cape (falmouth) and he recently interviewed in new bern (didn't get the job ) and we were very surprised to find the pay to be the exact same and when we factored in cost of living it actually meant the pay was higher in new bern. We want to leave for the same reasons as you did (terrible weather - i can deal with the snow it's the -10 below with nothing to show for it except a grey sky that i can't stand), the cost of housing (we were lucky enough to buy before prices skyrocketed but we've basically kissed upgrading to a better home good bye because we can't afford it) and just an all around life style change.

How does the area compare to the cape in say quaintness (if that makes sense)? Also have you ever experienced a hurricane? Do you worry about palmetto bugs and fire ants? Is religion big in wilmington? Do the beach towns get really crowded in the summer months like the cape? I'm not even going to ask about taxes because i know they are significantly lower in NC than in MA. Is crime low? Thanks so much in advance for any help you can give.

Old 12-01-2006, 09:44 AM

2 posts, read 4,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by south.charlotte&union View Post
Welcome Susie,
We relocated from NY in 1998 -- first to south Charlotte and now in Union county (my kids are on the Marvin side). With regard to Porter Ridge, they should have results in December I think, according to the state report card site. I love the "campus" there, it's gorgeous. Best of luck in your move
I have heard great things about Porter Ridge, I am going to call today to schedule an apt. with the guidane office. The house we are interested in is in teh Hamilton Place sub division - would you have any info ? Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina