Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2016, 04:53 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,526,967 times

Advertisements

Anybody wonder why the state Court of Appeals races listed party affiliation for each of the candidates when judicial races are "supposed" to be non-partisan? This was the ONLY category of judicial races that were labeled by party on the ballot. Sort of stuck out like a sore thumb. Oh yeah , Phil Berger, Jr was on the ballot. Grrrrr.......

I wrote the State Bd of Elections asking why after I saw it on my sample ballot. I received two very polite responses from staff, both explaining that it was due to recent action by the legislature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2016, 05:56 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
Anybody wonder why the state Court of Appeals races listed party affiliation for each of the candidates when judicial races are "supposed" to be non-partisan? This was the ONLY category of judicial races that were labeled by party on the ballot. Sort of stuck out like a sore thumb. Oh yeah , Phil Berger, Jr was on the ballot. Grrrrr.......

I wrote the State Bd of Elections asking why after I saw it on my sample ballot. I received two very polite responses from staff, both explaining that it was due to recent action by the legislature.
I thought that was odd, too. How did it affect the outcome? Favor R's or D's?

Old 11-11-2016, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
I thought that was odd, too. How did it affect the outcome? Favor R's or D's?
R's won all Court of Appeals races. Mike Morgan (D) won State Supreme Court

Old 11-11-2016, 06:09 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,152 times
Morgan may have benefited from more funding. I swear I saw his ads and signs everywhere

Old 11-14-2016, 08:41 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:
R's won all Court of Appeals races. Mike Morgan (D) won State Supreme Court
Supreme Court race did not list the candidates party affiliation. Obviously, it was widely known, but it was not listed on the ballot.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:03 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,818,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
Morgan may have benefited from more funding. I swear I saw his ads and signs everywhere
I didn't see very many of his, which surprised me since the downticket races are the very ones where signs can actually make a difference (was anyone's mind really changed by a Trump or Clinton sign?).

I've already seen some Republicans whining that he only won because his name was listed first (as per rules THEY put in place, where a rotating-alphabetical system changed the order of judges from election to election) and that since they other candidates to that point who were listed first were all Republicans, then "people assumed he was R, too". Well, if your people are that stupid to make such an assumption, I don't know that I'd be admitting that...

But don't worry, they'll make another law for next time where Republican candidates' names are written in larger font and boldface, or something, and Democrats' are listed in invisible ink. It would be no less ridiculous than some of the other laws this legislature has passed.

Quote:
Supreme Court race did not list the candidates party affiliation. Obviously, it was widely known, but it was not listed on the ballot.
Previously, NO judges' parties were listed. It was only this year, because Berger's son was running, that apparently Berger made sure people knew that and rather randomly decided that THAT kind of judge was somehow different than other kinds of judges. He didn't have such a reason to go on and list them for the rest of the judges.

And you can't presume anything is "widely known" about election law. The number of ignorant voters (and degree of their ignorance) in every facet of society makes me want to bang my head on the wall.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francois View Post
I didn't see very many of his, which surprised me since the downticket races are the very ones where signs can actually make a difference (was anyone's mind really changed by a Trump or Clinton sign?).

I've already seen some Republicans whining that he only won because his name was listed first (as per rules THEY put in place, where a rotating-alphabetical system changed the order of judges from election to election) and that since they other candidates to that point who were listed first were all Republicans, then "people assumed he was R, too". Well, if your people are that stupid to make such an assumption, I don't know that I'd be admitting that...

But don't worry, they'll make another law for next time where Republican candidates' names are written in larger font and boldface, or something, and Democrats' are listed in invisible ink. It would be no less ridiculous than some of the other laws this legislature has passed.

Previously, NO judges' parties were listed. It was only this year, because Berger's son was running, that apparently Berger made sure people knew that and rather randomly decided that THAT kind of judge was somehow different than other kinds of judges. He didn't have such a reason to go on and list them for the rest of the judges.

And you can't presume anything is "widely known" about election law. The number of ignorant voters (and degree of their ignorance) in every facet of society makes me want to bang my head on the wall.
Amen! Tried to rep you, but it wouldn't let me.

Old 11-14-2016, 12:27 PM

6,799 posts, read 7,375,734 times
Quote:

Yes, I am aware of that.

Quote:
And I am also aware of that. My point was that I heard lots of chatter about Martin being a democrat and Edmunds being a republican, despite their party affiliation not being on the ballot. Maybe I paid more attention than most, who knows.

Old 11-14-2016, 02:39 PM

9,777 posts, read 15,781,748 times
Quote:
Amen! Tried to rep you, but it wouldn't let me.
repped him for you.

Old 11-14-2016, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by michgc View Post
repped him for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: