Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2016, 10:02 PM

21,023 posts, read 27,262,444 times

Advertisements

Morganton Park South is a retail center located at the southeast corner of Morganton Road and Brucewood Road in the town of Southern Pines in Moore County, North Carolina. It is anchored by a supermarket, Lowe's Foods #261.

Lowe's Foods #261, 1740 Old Morganton Road, Southern Pines, North Carolina 28387-5127
Lowe's Foods #261 opened for business Wedesday, 27 July 2016. Its fuel center is open. Its pharmacy is not open yet.

Further reading
Browning, Olivia. "Lowes Foods to open Southern Pines location." Triad Business Journal. 2016-07-27.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2016, 06:59 PM

1,423 posts, read 1,478,782 times
I was Googling something else and I stumbled upon old site plans for this shopping center and seen what appears to be a Kroger or Harris Teeter type Marketplace store where Lowe's Foods is now. I wonder if Lincoln Harris was at one point in talks with Kroger to build a store here before the current HT at PineCroft opened.

https://imageserver-bisnow1.netdna-s...rris-large.jpg

Old 11-23-2016, 06:21 AM

170 posts, read 473,710 times
The people here actually had a town meeting to pray for rain. Don't move there. They are religious fanatics

Old 11-23-2016, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renownedtheworldaround View Post
I was Googling something else and I stumbled upon old site plans for this shopping center and seen what appears to be a Kroger or Harris Teeter type Marketplace store where Lowe's Foods is now. I wonder if Lincoln Harris was at one point in talks with Kroger to build a store here before the current HT at PineCroft opened.

https://imageserver-bisnow1.netdna-s...rris-large.jpg
It is difficult to decipher that earlier plan for Morganton Park South. When that plan was created would be interesting. Kroger completed the acquisition of Harris Teeter in January 2014. Did Kroger consider opening Kroger Marketplace stores in North Carolina for its Mid-Atlantic Division?

Old 11-23-2016, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
It is difficult to decipher that earlier plan for Morganton Park South. When that plan was created would be interesting. Kroger completed the acquisition of Harris Teeter in January 2014. Did Kroger consider opening Kroger Marketplace stores in North Carolina for its Mid-Atlantic Division?
While the picture quality isn't much better, there was another image of the earlier site plan on another site. However, I didn't post it because I was unsure if it would be edited out by a moderator. The Building on the left looks like a typical Kroger Marketplace layout, and the barely decipherable square footage number reads 123 as the first three digits. Kroger Marketplace stores are typically either 118,000 ft² or 123,000 ft²

Old 11-23-2016, 09:30 PM

You are right about the square footage range for Kroger Marketplace hypermarket stores. Kroger Marketplace stores in North Carolina has been considered or remains under consideration.

My theories of Kroger in North Carolina:
1.) Any new Kroger store in North Carolina will be a Kroger Marketplace operating in the Mid-Atlantic Division.
2.) Harris Teeter will adapt the Marketplace format. Harris Teeter Marketplace stores will open across Harris Teeter's footprint.
3.) Kroger may acquire another supermarket participant that operates well, has store count, has market share, and is focused on food, pharmacy and fuel. An acquisition target would operate in areas Kroger and Harris Teeter have slim to no presence, and would not have significant or any presence in areas Kroger and Harris Teeter operate.

Old 11-23-2016, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina Knight View Post
You are right about the square footage range for Kroger Marketplace hypermarket stores. Kroger Marketplace stores in North Carolina has been considered or remains under consideration.

My theories of Kroger in North Carolina:
1.) Any new Kroger store in North Carolina will be a Kroger Marketplace operating in the Mid-Atlantic Division.
2.) Harris Teeter will adapt the Marketplace format. Harris Teeter Marketplace stores will open across Harris Teeter's footprint.
3.) Kroger may acquire another supermarket participant that operates well, has store count, has market share, and is focused on food, pharmacy and fuel. An acquisition target would operate in areas Kroger and Harris Teeter have slim to no presence, and would not have significant or any presence in areas Kroger and Harris Teeter operate.
North Carolina is one of the only states in this region that doesn't have the Marketplace format.

Mississippi, Alabama, Tennessee, Georgia, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia all have a Kroger Marketplace open. Harris Teeter adopting the Marketplace format could be a good thing, but I believe some General Merchandise departments need to be edited out. I'm with you that Ingles is a great acquisition target, but there would be quite the overlap in North Georgia. Winn-Dixie is out of the question.

Old 11-23-2016, 11:50 PM

Ingle's and Kroger do not have much overlap in northern Georgia. Some localities in northern Georgia they coexist in are Calhoun, Canton, Cartersville, Dawsonville, Jasper. Neither Ingle's nor Kroger are in Hamilton County, Tennessee.

I do not know how far Kroger can expand across the western Carolinas through Harris Teeter. Acquiring Ingle's could be a win-win for both banners.

Southeastern Grocers (inclusive of BI-LO, Fresco y Más, Harvey's Supermarket, and Winn-Dixie) is imploding like A&P. Successful supermarket participants would be smart not to acquire the whole entity. Quantities of remaining quality stores could be acquired by other participants.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina