Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2017, 07:40 AM

1,360 posts, read 1,007,924 times

Advertisements

I think the southern half of VA is the most like NC. Moreso than northern SC or eastern TN.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2017, 06:06 PM

1,615 posts, read 1,968,230 times
Yeah I'd go so far to say TN is the least like NC of any of its neighbors.

I still think GA is being overlooked. Georgia is pretty much what NC would look like if all three major metro areas were smushed into one big city. For me I think it comes very slightly closer than Virginia and much closer than South Carolina. It has a more similar proportion of new south and old south, and its population is mostly concentrated in the Piedmont, unlike SC or VA which are a bit more coastal.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:23 AM

848 posts, read 1,120,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I think Georgia too. VA can't be divorced from D.C. And we just don't have that here. Our coast is more like GA's too.
Our coast is NOTHING like Georgia's. Georgia's barely has a coast and what it has is mosquito-infested swamp with a few sand bars. What next? Georgia's "mountains", LOL, are equally pitiful.

Old 11-14-2017, 12:27 AM

848 posts, read 1,120,582 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vatnos View Post
Yeah I'd go so far to say TN is the least like NC of any of its neighbors.

I still think GA is being overlooked. Georgia is pretty much what NC would look like if all three major metro areas were smushed into one big city. For me I think it comes very slightly closer than Virginia and much closer than South Carolina. It has a more similar proportion of new south and old south, and its population is mostly concentrated in the Piedmont, unlike SC or VA which are a bit more coastal.
Put our three biggest metros into one and it would be bigger than Georgia's one over-hyped sprawl mecca. Georgia's one metro covers 9000 sq miles, vs 6000 for our three combined, and we still have more people.

Old 11-14-2017, 06:25 AM

37,882 posts, read 41,970,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Our coast is NOTHING like Georgia's. Georgia's barely has a coast and what it has is mosquito-infested swamp with a few sand bars. What next? Georgia's "mountains", LOL, are equally pitiful.
NC's coast is definitely more like VA's but good Lord are you selling coastal Georgia short. NC has nothing like Savannah nor is NC's coast conducive to high port tonnage. The Sea Islands of Georgia are home to one of the most unique cultures anywhere in the U.S. (Geechee/Gullah) and you also have charming areas like Brunswick, St. Simons Island, and Cumberland Island which is home to wild horses. Georgia's mountains aren't are high and impressive as NC/TN's but they are beautiful with small town gems like Dahlonega, Helen, and Blue Ridge and natural features like Tallulah Gorge and Amicalola Falls. Also, the mountains of GA, NC, and TN all house temperate rainforests, which are among the few rainforests in the continental U.S. (the others are in the PNW).

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanmyth View Post
Put our three biggest metros into one and it would be bigger than Georgia's one over-hyped sprawl mecca. Georgia's one metro covers 9000 sq miles, vs 6000 for our three combined, and we still have more people.
This is incorrect and I'm assuming you're talking about CSAs because that would be the apples to apples comparison to make. The CSAs of Charlotte (including the SC portion), the Triangle, and the Triad combined come to 6,438,521. Atlanta's CSA is 6,451,262.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 11-14-2017 at 06:36 AM..

Old 11-14-2017, 07:46 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,341,675 times
NC's coast is not like VAs. The Chesapeake and Virginia Beach dominate VA's coast.

Coastal SC (aside from Myrtle Beach) and coastal NC are probably most similar, but coastal GA is beautiful, too. Tybee Island is very nice, St Simon's Island, too.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
NC's coast is not like VAs. The Chesapeake and Virginia Beach dominate VA's coast.

Coastal SC (aside from Myrtle Beach) and coastal NC are probably most similar, but coastal GA is beautiful, too. Tybee Island is very nice, St Simon's Island, too.
Overall I'd probably say coastal NC and VA are more similar. Water quality is more similar, they have more inlets/sounds/bays, etc. And of course, the Lowcountry is its own thing. When it comes to the coast, I'd group GA and SC together and NC and VA together myself.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:13 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,384,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Overall I'd probably say coastal NC and VA are more similar. Water quality is more similar, they have more inlets/sounds/bays, etc. And of course, the Lowcountry is its own thing. When it comes to the coast, I'd group GA and SC together and NC and VA together myself.
I don't think VA and NC's coastline are anything like each other, at all. NC's coast is a chain of barrier islands with multiple inlets. VA's is dominated by the Delmarva Peninsula, and the Virginia Beach shoreline. Totally different. There are no inlets in VA like NC has.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:23 AM

6,344 posts, read 4,408,997 times
Yeah, NC is much more similiar to SC with beaches... VA has nothing like our crystal coast. VA shoreline aint much either.

Old 11-14-2017, 08:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BC1960 View Post
I don't think VA and NC's coastline are anything like each other, at all. NC's coast is a chain of barrier islands with multiple inlets. VA's is dominated by the Delmarva Peninsula, and the Virginia Beach shoreline. Totally different. There are no inlets in VA like NC has.
I still think VA and NC's coasts are more similar than NC's and SC's. NC has nothing like the Lowcountry or Myrtle Beach, the water is bluer like VA's, the coastline isn't conducive to hosting a relatively high tonnage port city like Charleston or Savannah, etc. And overall, the coast is more accessible in SC than in NC--which is why you'll often see as many NC tags as SC tags at SC beaches during the summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina