Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2017, 07:59 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,281,903 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Petersburg is basically a "baby" Richmond, so if it has similarities to one, it has similarities to both....so in a sense, we're saying the same thing, though it has to be noted Durham is more dissimilar to both than alike. Durham isn't a twin of either...
Petersburg is akin to Salisbury, Kinston or Goldsboro, NC. Of course each region of the state is influenced by neighboring states to a certain degree and vice versa. However NC's economic engine, growth, demographics and population size are almost a mirror image of Georgia. The only difference is instead one big metro, NC has 3 metros which are equal to Atlanta in metro size.

And as I states before, Ohio has 3 large metros in which neither truly dominate the states overall economic GDP or stability, much like NC.

Culturally, the state has more ties with SC but it's much smaller and less populated. With reference to your other post, the Triad is zero like Tennessee or small town Virginia. The Triangle is zero like NoVa because it's part of DC and it'll never have that kindred with a major city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2017, 09:18 PM

127 posts, read 135,389 times
Petersburg is the smaller city ~20 miles from the capital of the state(Same as Durham), that's where things end. There's no new development around it, doesn't have RTP, etc.

Ohio does have the 3, and Cleveland-Charlotte(largest/big airport); Triad-Cincy(IDK?); Columbus-Triangle(Tech/university) do seem to match up in some ways. Anything else though?
Ohio lacks the mountains, but has the shore. Most of the population centers are fully midwestern though, much more farming, etc.

Seems like people bring up several threads to try and convince themselves the Triangle is like NOVA. It'll nothing like NOVA, and it will never be. People just don't seem to want to accept South Carolina. Now how about let's compare Charlotte to Los Angeles.

Old 10-08-2017, 09:53 PM

6,381 posts, read 5,503,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QuickJoin View Post
Petersburg is the smaller city ~20 miles from the capital of the state(Same as Durham), that's where things end. There's no new development around it, doesn't have RTP, etc.

Ohio does have the 3, and Cleveland-Charlotte(largest/big airport); Triad-Cincy(IDK?); Columbus-Triangle(Tech/university) do seem to match up in some ways. Anything else though?
Ohio lacks the mountains, but has the shore. Most of the population centers are fully midwestern though, much more farming, etc.

Seems like people bring up several threads to try and convince themselves the Triangle is like NOVA. It'll nothing like NOVA, and it will never be. People just don't seem to want to accept South Carolina. Now how about let's compare Charlotte to Los Angeles.
As dumb as a lot of these state to state comparison threads tend to be....

I think the reason a lot of people don't think of SC as as much of a "peer" state of NC is the fact that NC is more than double the population.

Even if you include Northern Virginia; NC is much closer in size and demographics to VA than it is to SC (NC is actually more populous than VA now)

NC and SC flow together pretty seamlessly in the Charlotte metro area for sure...but that's more of the exception than the rule. Not that there is a huge contrast once you cross the state line either way; just that overall NC isn't as similar with SC as it is with VA or GA. You could even make an argument that it is just as similar to TN as it is to SC for different reasons.

Ohio though?...Really?

Old 10-08-2017, 10:57 PM

34 posts, read 33,390 times
I was born and raised in South Carolina. Lived 19 years total in North Carolina. 10 years in Georgia.

Interesting question, and it's hard for me to answer. My first impulse was to say Virginia. Then I decided it's really more like Georgia. But even the Tennessee and South Carolina advocates have merit to their cases. So I'm going to throw another wrinkle to this:

I've lived in three cities on I-85: Atlanta (currently), Charlotte and Greensboro. And I've visited Greenville a few times in recent years. Despite some obvious differences among the major cities on I-85, I think there's starting become a real I-85 culture that's slowly starting to supersede whatever else is going on in the rest of the states. (And I'm talking Atlanta to the Triangle. I'm leaving west of Atlanta and east of the Triangle out of this).

For instance, I find it much more of a transition to go to Columbus than to go to Greenville, Charlotte, the Triad or the Triangle. Even the physical environment is rather similar along I-85 until you get to the Triangle part, with the rolling hills and the distant mountains visible along some parts of the route.

I-85 is the biggest economic engine in Georgia and North Carolina and maybe South Carolina too (I'm not sure how Greenville-Spartanburg compares with Charleston area in that regard).

But at any rate, I find the I-85 cities in Georgia, S.C. and N.C. to be more like each other than they are like the other parts of their own states, and I think this trend will grow as long as the I-85 economic boom continues.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:09 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelNick View Post
As dumb as a lot of these state to state comparison threads tend to be....

I think the reason a lot of people don't think of SC as as much of a "peer" state of NC is the fact that NC is more than double the population.

Even if you include Northern Virginia; NC is much closer in size and demographics to VA than it is to SC (NC is actually more populous than VA now)

NC and SC flow together pretty seamlessly in the Charlotte metro area for sure...but that's more of the exception than the rule. Not that there is a huge contrast once you cross the state line either way; just that overall NC isn't as similar with SC as it is with VA or GA. You could even make an argument that it is just as similar to TN as it is to SC for different reasons.

Ohio though?...Really?
really the only easy transition between NC SC is Charlotte I'm from SE NC and we felt distinctly different from SC I mean if you're just going down the Coast you go from Wilmington to Myrtle Beach WAAAYY different cities and if you go a little further back or down 95 there is a large transition going through Lumberton (pretty much it's own thing) to I forget in SC not much...

Low country SC is such a unique vibe I can't compare it anywhere to NC

I could compare southwest NC with upstaste SC but not NorthWest NC Boone area..

Old 10-09-2017, 07:11 AM

5,838 posts, read 5,642,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Aristotle View Post
Petersburg is akin to Salisbury, Kinston or Goldsboro, NC. Of course each region of the state is influenced by neighboring states to a certain degree and vice versa. However NC's economic engine, growth, demographics and population size are almost a mirror image of Georgia. The only difference is instead one big metro, NC has 3 metros which are equal to Atlanta in metro size.

And as I states before, Ohio has 3 large metros in which neither truly dominate the states overall economic GDP or stability, much like NC.

Culturally, the state has more ties with SC but it's much smaller and less populated. With reference to your other post, the Triad is zero like Tennessee or small town Virginia. The Triangle is zero like NoVa because it's part of DC and it'll never have that kindred with a major city.
Petersburg bears no resemblance at all to Kinston. Little to none to Goldsboro. Rocky Mount and Durham most closely resemble Petersburg in appearance and culture, within North Carolina...

I think the difference in perception is I'm relating similarity to culture and appearance, rather than stats or size as you seem to be doing. I don't think there's a right or wrong way, it's just perception...

North Carolina and Ohio are only generically similar. Not a good comparison...

Georgia, yes. SC, yes. Winston-Salem reminds me of a smaller Knoxville, or larger Roanoke, and further West of there has a small town Tennessee vibe. North of Winston, I'm thinking Mount Airy and the 77 and 52 norths, bleed into Southwest Virginia small towns. I don't know how you think there is no comparison...

The Triangle has some form of housing stock also found in Nova, and has poor traffic relative to its area, but the NoVa comparisons end there, agreed!

Old 10-09-2017, 07:12 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,349,409 times
Y'know I don't think we think of I-85 that much in NC. Aside from Charlotte, I-40 is the more important interstate. It runs through Asheville, Winston-Salem, Greensboro, Chapel Hill, Durham, Raleigh and on down to Wilmington. NC is dominated by I-40 and I-95 in the east. I-77 and I-85 play a bigger role near Charlotte.

Old 10-09-2017, 07:17 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times
honestly even the landscape changes pretty markedly going from SE NC to SC it gets way swampier

Old 10-09-2017, 08:05 AM

2,413 posts, read 2,705,101 times
So it sounds like Charlotte area feels like South Carolina is the closest peer (because over 400,000 people in the metro area live IN South Carolina and most people work alongside somebody that lives in South Carolina, your A/C guy might live in SC, you go to Carowinds half in NC/SC, BofA Stadium flies both states flags, tons of Clemson and South Carolina grads work in Charlotte, you might shop on both sides of the border, etc....)

Meanwhile the rest of the state's population is geographically not on the border with SC, so they feel more in common with other states like Virginia.

All this points out is that NC has many diverse subsets of cultures within the state and ultimately people feel more in common with their metro area than their state and they feel most in common with the adjacent states closer to where they live. Since I live in Charlotte, Fort Mill, South Carolina feels more like a peer to where I live than Virginia because SC is just 5 miles away. In Raleigh though, Virginia is closer. NOVA is going to feel more in common with the DC area of Maryland than they will with Blacksburg or Virginia Beach. Vancouver, WA is going to feel more in common with Portland, OR than Seattle, WA. Overland Park, KS is going to feel more in common with Kansas City, MO than Witchita, KS, etc.... In general your metro area supersedes your state for metro areas split on multiple sides of state borders.

Old 10-13-2017, 03:41 PM

3,869 posts, read 4,281,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
Petersburg bears no resemblance at all to Kinston. Little to none to Goldsboro. Rocky Mount and Durham most closely resemble Petersburg in appearance and culture, within North Carolina...

I think the difference in perception is I'm relating similarity to culture and appearance, rather than stats or size as you seem to be doing. I don't think there's a right or wrong way, it's just perception...

North Carolina and Ohio are only generically similar. Not a good comparison...

Georgia, yes. SC, yes. Winston-Salem reminds me of a smaller Knoxville, or larger Roanoke, and further West of there has a small town Tennessee vibe. North of Winston, I'm thinking Mount Airy and the 77 and 52 norths, bleed into Southwest Virginia small towns. I don't know how you think there is no comparison...

The Triangle has some form of housing stock also found in Nova, and has poor traffic relative to its area, but the NoVa comparisons end there, agreed!
Petersburg isn't that big and nothing like Durham in my opinion, at all. Are you talking about Petersburg VA home of VA State? Salisbury, Goldsboro, etc...uh, yes...Durham, no.

Of course the major comparison with Ohio is not haven't dominant metro in the state like most other states.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina