Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2017, 05:57 PM

7,077 posts, read 12,354,425 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
To me North Carolina and Virginia are more alike than North Carolina and South Carolina. SC feels more like a deep south state like Georgia which geographically it is. Culturally NC and VA have more in common excluding the DC burbs. Both states are also tobacco states.
NC/SC share all of the same freeways except I-40 and I-20. 26, 77, 85, and 95 connect both states.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2017, 08:24 PM

127 posts, read 135,389 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
To me North Carolina and Virginia are more alike than North Carolina and South Carolina. SC feels more like a deep south state like Georgia which geographically it is. Culturally NC and VA have more in common excluding the DC burbs. Both states are also tobacco states.
I agree that NC has nothing like DC suburbs, but can we really exclude them? That's 1/3 of the population of the state. That's like saying somewhere is like California, but excluding the LA metro.

Richmond is way different than what we have here, and has quite a bit of history. VA has less population centers, Norfolk, Richmond, and DC Suburbs are pretty much it's only sizable population centers. But just calling them the burbs is a bit of a misnomer. They aren't like Cary. 2 of the 30 busiest airports in the country, Arlington and Tysons are sizable centers. And all the tourist, culture, and history that the area has.

Old 10-23-2017, 06:14 AM

37,892 posts, read 41,998,813 times
Overall, I think NC shares more characteristics with VA but is more tied to SC.

Old 10-23-2017, 09:56 AM

1,502 posts, read 4,085,641 times
The eastern part of NC historically has held most of the power and history up through a good part of the 20th century and where most of the population tended to reside. And the eastern part of NC is without a doubt side by side with SC, such as the climate, soil, people. The western part of NC really has very little comparison to the rest of the state and is up for debate but I maintain the west is more in line with the Appalachia culture than another state.

The term "Carolina's" basically refers to either state, and I would say most of the country would agree the question is rather obvious if asked "what state is NC closest too?" - and the obvious answer is SC, and they would probably wonder if it was a trick question.

Sort of like asking which state is North Dakota closest to? I would suspect many people living in ND would fiercely defend that the states are very different but the overall majority would say South Dakota, not Minnesota.

Old 10-23-2017, 10:55 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina_native View Post
The eastern part of NC historically has held most of the power and history up through a good part of the 20th century and where most of the population tended to reside. And the eastern part of NC is without a doubt side by side with SC, such as the climate, soil, people. The western part of NC really has very little comparison to the rest of the state and is up for debate but I maintain the west is more in line with the Appalachia culture than another state.

The term "Carolina's" basically refers to either state, and I would say most of the country would agree the question is rather obvious if asked "what state is NC closest too?" - and the obvious answer is SC, and they would probably wonder if it was a trick question.

Sort of like asking which state is North Dakota closest to? I would suspect many people living in ND would fiercely defend that the states are very different but the overall majority would say South Dakota, not Minnesota.
I don’t think that’s so true Virginia has a coast you know make that argument to north east nc

Nc sc split because of differences Charleston was a major port and hub and ncbwas considered mostly wilderness as well as poor port due to the outer banks

Also the plantation culture of the Deep South is conspicuously less in ENC

Old 10-23-2017, 12:53 PM

1,360 posts, read 1,008,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post

True. The percentage of families that owned slaves before the Civil war was roughly around 25% in NC, VA and TN, while almost 50% of SC and MS families were slave owners.

Old 10-23-2017, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vulfpeck View Post
True. The percentage of families that owned slaves before the Civil war was roughly around 25% in NC, VA and TN, while almost 50% of SC and MS families were slave owners.
VA still has tons of remnants of plantation slave culture though. More than SC I'd say.

Old 10-23-2017, 03:48 PM

6,344 posts, read 4,412,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
I don’t think that’s so true Virginia has a coast you know make that argument to north east nc

Nc sc split because of differences Charleston was a major port and hub and ncbwas considered mostly wilderness as well as poor port due to the outer banks

I disagree, most black folks out here are from down east slave towns like Maysville. Lots of black families from Hyde county live out here. Buffalo road in wake county has a lot of homes that belong to black folks that trace their history to slave ancestors.

Old 10-24-2017, 09:30 AM

3,662 posts, read 3,942,933 times
I don't consider SC to be a "peer" of NC in any respect whatsoever.

Being born, raised and educated in the Triangle (rural Franklin County), the state has always held itself to a higher standard, making extra efforts in stewardship and governing of the land and its citizens.

It has the state's next 100 years already mapped out with the goal of lifting all 100 counties out of poverty and towards a more prosperous future.

From building roads earning moniker "Good Roads State" in early 20th century, to striving to keep up with the early powerhouse states in the Northeast, the state's agencies and operations have trailed pretty close to the top tier states.

South Carolina, however, doesn't really try hard on anything. Entering the state on any highway, the standards for roads and associated maintenance quickly deteriorate, and from land use to general aesthetics of development, everything seems a little more primitive, in keeping with Deep-South neighbors- Georgia, Alabama, etc. (Trust me, Georgia's govt. and state operations are PRI-MI-TIVE! North Carolina is light years ahead comparatively.

So, for me, NCs' peers are Virginia (similar size, economy, topography, highway standards, and consumer protections for its citizens) and Georgia (population, GDP, growth trajectory), and historically, New Jersey has always been used for comparison by NC itself, due to population and industrial might, etc.

I say NC is in the big leagues with NY and FL and California.

And SC has more in common with Alabama and Mississippi.

I know Charlotte area doesn't share this perspective, but from the Triangle SC seems a world away.

Old 10-24-2017, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architect77 View Post
South Carolina, however, doesn't really try hard on anything. Entering the state on any highway, the standards for roads and associated maintenance quickly deteriorate...
Not true at all. For a couple of years, SC had I-77 through York County widened and resurfaced before the same was done in Mecklenburg. There's little difference on I-95 entering/leaving either state. But there are issues with I-20 and I-95 coming from GA into SC. I-85 is undergoing maintenance in some critical areas, although it could stand to at least be resurfaced for the entire length.

Quote:
I say NC is in the big leagues with NY and FL and California.
You can say that, but that doesn't make it reality.

Quote:
And SC has more in common with Alabama and Mississippi.
Alabama, yes (similar population, GDP, distribution of urban areas, etc.); Mississippi, no.

And thankfully, SC is becoming a bit more politically moderate as time goes on. I'd say Mark Meadows and Mick Mulvaney are probably the most outspoken conservative Congressmen in both states at present, which isn't too bad. Neither has anything like a Roy Moore and SC's Legislature hasn't been putting the state in a bad spotlight lately (knocks on wood). It's too early to know how SC's and NC's current governors will shake out, but Haley >>> McCrory.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina