Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2018, 05:33 AM

23 posts, read 116,413 times

Advertisements

Hi all! I’m 26 years old and currently live in New York. I’ve been dying to get out of here and try a more country, small town community and I’ve heard great things about North Carolina. Last summer I visited holly springs by Raleigh and it was very crowded and felt more of a developing city than a country vibe. My cousin lives in hickory by Charlotte so I am going to check out that area along with concord and mooresville. I love the outdoors and the fact of lake normal being around those towns is a huge plus to me. Since I was born and raised in New York about 1.5 hours north of the city, I really want to find an area that is close to the busy city life but also offers the country side but with people who are kind and welcoming. I’m still young so I want to make sure where I go there are things for me to do and meet new people. Any help and/or suggestions would be great, thank you 😊
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2018, 06:36 AM

6,799 posts, read 7,388,775 times
Lots of small towns and rural areas to live in. How close to a city do you want to be, i.e., how long of a commute can you stand? What kind of work do you do? Really, the number one thing is to find a job, then its easy to find a small town or rural area around there.

Old 01-30-2018, 06:44 AM

34,094 posts, read 83,020,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlf123 View Post
Hi all! I’m 26 years old and currently live in New York.
Since I was born and raised in New York about 1.5 hours north of the city,
I really want to find an area that is close to the busy city life
Any help and/or suggestions would be great, thank you
It all comes down to Money. How much you have and your ability to earn more.
If you have the skill/education needed to do well then you can do well just about anywhere.

Old 01-30-2018, 07:11 AM

I’m an accountant. Currently I’m in public accounting but I want to transition to private. I’d really like to work with a non profit or a smaller company than one of the big corporations. As far as money goes, I want to rent for the first year and then if I like it I’ll buy in the future. I would say if it’s an apartment I’m renting I’d like to stick to under $900 considering I think the pay down there is lower than New York. At the end of the day though my salary isn’t really what is going to make or break a decision. I’m more interested in finding somewhere I enjoy living.

Last edited by Dlf123; 01-30-2018 at 07:19 AM..

Old 01-30-2018, 07:26 AM

2,844 posts, read 2,980,242 times
Why go to lake normal when you could go to lake weird or better yet lake cool

Old 01-30-2018, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I’m an accountant. Currently I’m in public accounting but I want to transition to private.
...I think the pay down there is lower than New York.
Maybe it is... maybe it isn't.

But whatever it is in either place... it's what you have left over that tells the tale.
Left over after pretax contributions and total housing costs that is.

Quote:
I’m more interested in finding somewhere I enjoy living.
I’d really like to work with a non profit or a smaller company
That's nice.

Quote:
At the end of the day though my salary isn’t really what is going to make or break a decision.
No? Well, maybe not some specific number... but your ability to generate it sure will.
Just like with everyone else everywhere else.

Old 01-30-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hey_guy View Post
Why go to lake normal when you could go to lake weird or better yet lake cool
Hahhaa, that’s supposed to say Lake Norman. That was good though!

Old 01-30-2018, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Maybe it is... maybe it isn't.

But whatever it is in either place... it's what you have left over that tells the tale.
Left over after pretax contributions and total housing costs that is.

That's nice.

No? Well, maybe not some specific number... but your ability to generate it sure will.
Just like with everyone else everywhere else.
Ok, well do you have any suggestions ? Do you know anything about the areas I mentioned earlier like Mooresville, Concord, and Hickory?

Old 01-30-2018, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Ok, well do you have any suggestions ?
Nope. I never get specific.

Quote:
Do you know anything about the areas I mentioned earlier...?
Frankly I'm wondering why you can't seem to find what you want where you already are.
1.5 hours north of the city is a very appealing area.

Old 01-30-2018, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Nope. I never get specific.

Frankly I'm wondering why you can't seem to find what you want where you already are.
1.5 hours north of the city is a very appealing area.
It’s not appealing to me at all and I was born and raised here but that’s just my opinion. I posted this thread to get suggestions and people’s input on what it’s like to live in the North Carolina areas I mentioned above not to go over why I don’t like the area I currently live in. Thanks for your input though.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina