Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-15-2018, 11:11 PM

1 posts, read 1,604 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a single mom of three children ages 1,2, and 7. We've done a ton of research on each state and have our hearts set on the Carolinas. We're very deprived here and want a fuller, healthier life where we can put down roots and move forward. I'm not originally from MO but IL isn't really far behind. I live in Wayland, MO. It's unbelievably depressing here. I could name everything but the main reasons are; poor schools and currently just homeschooling, no help such as health insurance mainly bc of the state, no daycares bc the area and I'm currently going on 3 yrs on a waiting list with everyone, so that means no job and way to go back to college, nasty weather, there is no natural beauty here at all. I expect that there's hard times everywhere but I'm wanting to move to a town that has opportunities for my children such as good schools, libraries, lots of community outreach and good daycares are a must! The size of the town or city doesn't matter as long as there are these things. Lastly, we have to live close the beach, less than an hour. I know everyone wants this but if you could only know how miserably deprived we are here and everything in our house from blue to aqua colored walls to the paintings and sail boats, we are ocean crazy! Any suggestions from North to South Carolina would be so helpful from the people that live their everyday lives here! Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2018, 11:25 PM

71 posts, read 60,750 times
You should have led with the beach caveat as that as the big one. Given schooling is another factor, I’d stick to looking around Charleston, SC and Wilmington, NC.

Old 04-16-2018, 05:11 AM

34,093 posts, read 83,010,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MsGray View Post
Hi, I'm a single mom of three children ages 1,2, and 7.
...we have to live close the beach, less than an hour.

Any suggestions...?
I'll suggest that you choose a location close to the job.
The job that pays enough to support the four of you.

What sort of useful skills and education do you bring?

Old 04-16-2018, 06:41 PM

75 posts, read 121,589 times
MsGray: Actually, I have to disagree with JeepCSC on the Charleston, SC or Wilmington, NC suggestion because a conversation with my older married sisters (ages 46 & 48) revealed that the Wrightsville area (near Wilmington.... kind of?).. does NOT have good schools there... and this is coming from my 48 yr old sister who is a elementary school teacher in Cary, NC (being a teacher for about 4 yrs now). My 46 yr old sister & her husband plan on moving down to Charleston, SC after their yougest graduates from high school in 5 yrs... I'm not sure if it's b/c of the schools there or what, I'd have to ask... but they are now wealthy & I'm sure they have opted to stay in Greensboro for the reason that schools are better here.... b/c they could move to Charleston, SC in a heartbeat. I can ask her. All 3 beaches are nice to visit, especially Charleston... but if I'm not mistaken, it's an expensive place to even vacation --- so I can only imagine how much a home would cost. I have visited all 3 beaches, & Charleston was my favorite, but seriously look into the job market, homes, & schools before you relocate without doing major research from experienced individuals who have families. I am 37 -- if that is even relevant.

Cary, NC is about 140,000 (population)--- & the schools are growing fast b/c word is getting around that Cary is a good place to be. My 48 yr old married sister has lived there for 20+ yrs & loves it.

My 46 yr old married sister & I (single mom) have lived in Greensboro (population 280,000) for 19+ yrs.... & we grew to love it very quickly b/c it's down to earth here compared to the Raleigh area that definitely has more educated people. Sometimes people in Chapel Hill (Raleigh) come off as snobbish, but Greensboro has more of your Average Joe families with pockets of highly educated families in certain communities.

Both of my older sisters have lived in Charlotte, but less than 5 yrs & moved to their current cities. Charlotte is very much a business city -- as it has been labeled the Bank Capital of either the US or the World -- do your research on that.

I know you mentioned the beach, but if the school systems & job aren't adequate to better your future, I would advise you to live 3 hrs from the beach & do short 3 or 4 day vacations to the beach. NC weather is pretty wacky though, I can go into that later on if you'd like...

My sister's & I are originally from Mt. Airy, NC (Mayberry .. Andy Griffith Show), population currently 40,000. Greensboro has been very good to me personally b/c I moved here also as a single mom to 'start over' in 2001. I'm not sure how the government assistance is NOW, but I was able to get it for 5 yrs and it was a tremendous help in helping me get on my feet. I qualified for a program called Smart Start (daycare assistance) and was on the WIC program (not food stamps, but you got vouchers for formula, baby food, milk.... basics, no diapers though). I was on this program in Surry County (where Mt. Airy is), & my social worker transferred it for me to Guilford County (Greensboro). I had 5 yrs to get on my feet, and it worked. ... Went to school at Guilford Technical Community College 2yrs, got a job in my career, got a condo 1 yr later (at 69k) ... and 13 yrs after graduating, I'm at $22.50/hr. .... I got off of government assistance right after I graduated b/c I didn't need it anymore. I could have stayed on it, but I didn't want to be another 'one of those' who drains the system - plus the check stub thing got really annoying. It got me on my feet & that's what I needed. Greensboro has been VERY, VERY good me. .... There are many schools in Guilford County that have great programs designed to give kids a head start in education. ... If a child is recognized as gifted, they are invited into the program. Lots of high schools in Guilford County have middle college programs that allow students who want to advance academically.. the chance to do so. Meaning: a student can take college courses in their Junior/Senior yr of high school (usually for free for books & tuition) b/c the program at that high school will pay for it. There's at least 5 or more high schools that offer this. My son (now 17.. a senior) has been in these programs since 6th grade & so now.... I'm praying he'll get into NC State for engineering. The only thing is, these college courses will only transfer to an In-state college (in these programs). I didn't do enough of my research on this part, but at the time, I just assumed he'd go to NC State..... but NC State was the only one he applied to in NC!!! (Go figure.. lol). Teachers have been leaving though.. to areas like Texas because I believe they hadn't been raises for 5+ yrs, AND funding for schools was getting cut... AND high schools couldn't afford teachers assistants. So these teachers here are really putting their heart & souls into these kids and definitely NOT getting compensated for it. It's politics (which I don't get into that much), but it IS important to know, especially when it affects the future of your kids directly.

I feel like I could type more, but I have given you maybe more information you had asked for... so I'll stop here. (I'm also typing on my phone & it's getting really annoying now.. lol.... I type much better on a full scale keyboard). Msg me if you wanna know more. Good luck in your search!!!! =) =) =)

Last edited by Smile37; 04-16-2018 at 07:25 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 07:18 PM

75 posts, read 121,589 times
Also, I may be biased, but if you get connected to a good church, it's likely you'll find single mom's there. I'm a total advocate for supporting single mom's (obviously b/c I am one).. but if you move to NC, I have an awesome girl friend (recently married @ 42 yrs old) that I could connect you with who lives in Apex, NC (ok... still not near the beach.. lol). But I know a lot of people, and I might could find good connections in other cities, so keep me posted on your research & I'll see what I can do. =) Ok! Talk later MsGray!

Old 04-18-2018, 09:53 AM

96 posts, read 84,131 times
I think the Wilmington area is nice but it would be had to get jobs there. If youre looking for a lot of opportunities you should look around the Raleigh/Cary area they are a little farther from the beach than you are wanting but theyre great cities. I am also from Missouri so Welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina