Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2019, 12:38 PM

3 posts, read 5,219 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone

Getting ready to move out to your wonderful state from DC area in a couple months.. Husband will be working in Fort Bragg, I am hoping to get a job in WCPS and I am not really feeling Fayetteville . So we are thinking of Apex or FV or somewhere in between a 45-60 min drive MAX.. Does anyone drive that and what is the commute time? Any areas that we should look into or even avoid........ I saw some older posts, but nothing recently. So I am hoping for some fresh advice..

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2019, 04:39 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Hi. All of these locations would be a longer commute than I'd want to make, but it would be good to know what about Apex, Fuquay-Varina (did I also see Sanford in your title?) that you like and what about Fayetteville that you don't like. Fuquay-Varina and especially Apex look great on paper and Fayetteville doesn't look so great, but have you spent any time in any of these places to know for certain which areas you would like or not based on your own preferences?

And would you realistically get to take have much time to enjoy these attributes during the week after a long work day, extra school work at home (if you're in a teaching position(?)), plus whatever your husband's job demands are in the military. I realize you're new here (welcome ), but if you provide some additional information on what exactly you like and don't like, you'll get some better feedback, particularly from forum members who know these specific areas in more intimate detail than I do. Below is an excerpt from the FAQs on this site:

When asking questions about a location, give as much detail as you can, so we can zero in on the info you need. If house hunting, what is your price level or rental amount. How many BR's, Baths, square feet, lot size, etc, do you need? Pets? SFH, TH, Condo, mobile home? In-town, rural, college town, military town, mountains? Schools for children? Gated community, golf course community, active senior community? Do you need to stable a horse? Is there an RV or boat trailer to consider? The more you tell us, the sooner our regular posters can reply with specificity. Same for any other criteria you have. Please avoid open-ended requests like "I'm moving to your city, tell me EVERYTHING I need to know."

If you do end up working for Wake County Schools (which sounds like it's a hope but not a certainty at this point), the corner of the county the school you end up at could make a major difference in where you'd want to live, along with being in reasonable proximity to Fort Bragg.

Also, while traffic in these areas isn't quite as intense as the DC area, the population in western/southwestern Wake County, where you're looking, is growing at an exceptionally rapid rate, along with traffic, so what may seem like a reasonable commute now may not be the same in 10-15 years.

Old 10-02-2019, 05:10 PM

Hi, thanks for the response, I am use to my commute about 1 hour each way.. but won't want to go any more. So far from some research, Raleigh area salary ranges are more compared to many other nearby counties. Also, I am a weekly Salsa and Bachata dancer so I am looking for a social scene in a dance community.

House hunting for SFH, child friendly, parks, hiking price range $400 and under.

Old 10-03-2019, 03:34 PM

3,318 posts, read 2,335,731 times
I commute from Sanford to my office off Blue Ridge Rd a few times a week. Takes about 45 minutes.

Old 10-03-2019, 04:58 PM

12,799 posts, read 16,321,421 times
Clayton might work for you too.

Old 10-06-2019, 06:28 PM

2,110 posts, read 2,723,610 times
I commute from Sanford to Fayetteville and it takes 50 minutes in the morning.
The afternoon commute can be anywhere from 50 minutes to an hour and 20
minutes depending on what's happening with Spring Lake traffic. However you
can go around that if you so desire...

Old 10-16-2019, 10:38 AM

Thanks for the replies.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina