Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2020, 06:46 PM

773 posts, read 645,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
I'm wondering whether he will be able to actually perform the core duties of his job in a way that benefits NC citizens, instead of fighting his culture wars, which is what he seemed to be so focused on during his campaign.

https://ltgov.nc.gov/office-lieutenant-governor
Well, the good news is that the Lt. Governor doesn't have any core job duties of any importance, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2020, 07:19 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Royal James View Post
Well, the good news is that the Lt. Governor doesn't have any core job duties of any importance, lol.
I get what you're saying. There's more involved in holding a Secretary of ___ position at the state level than there is in Lt Governor.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:39 AM

771 posts, read 624,158 times
It's going to be weird to see a red North Carolina and blue Georgia on the map. Virginia is totally blue right now, too.

I'm not surprised that Roy Cooper won reelection at all. He's perfect for North Carolina, most of our past governors have been moderate Democrats despite the fact that we typically vote Republican in presidential elections.

Old 11-11-2020, 08:57 AM

771 posts, read 624,158 times
Any ideas why the rural counties south of Fayetteville went for Trump? Robeson, Scotland, and Richmond used to vote Democrat, I believe.

No surprise that northeastern North Carolina (Halifax, Northampton, Hertford, etc.) is still solid blue.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:07 AM

3,444 posts, read 2,814,454 times
Mail in ballots have not been counted yet for NC, it's going to be interesting to see what happens when they are. Tomorrow is the day.

Old 11-11-2020, 11:22 AM

1,256 posts, read 1,182,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldenlove View Post
Mail in ballots have not been counted yet for NC, it's going to be interesting to see what happens when they are. Tomorrow is the day.
They did count the mail in ballots. The only ones left to be counted are the ones received after Election Day and provisional ballots.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:21 PM

241 posts, read 236,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poppydog View Post
I tell ya it was just the name. If you don't know anything about a candidate and you hear "Mark Robinson" you know for sure it's a man and it sounds fairly white. He was strategic and did not have his photo in much of his campaign stuff, just those red signs that said "Mark Robinson". I mean, the guy is pretty out there. Some of the stuff he said "half of black Democrats don't realize they are slaves and don't know who their masters are. The other half don't care," - wow. He's much crazier than Dan Forest, but because it was the Lieutenant Governor's race and not the Governor's race it didn't get that much coverage and low-information voters just saw his name. If his name had been Malik Robinson I bet Yvonne Holley would be the winner today. And in fact, she still might come out on top. The race is just in the 1000s difference and there are 99,000 absentee ballots left to count and 40,000 provisional ballots to resolve.

I'd like to think the voters of NC are more sophisticated than that, but deep down in my heart, I know you're 100% right.

Old 11-11-2020, 05:52 PM

6,156 posts, read 7,218,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by costellopresley82 View Post
It's going to be weird to see a red North Carolina and blue Georgia on the map. Virginia is totally blue right now, too.

I'm not surprised that Roy Cooper won reelection at all. He's perfect for North Carolina, most of our past governors have been moderate Democrats despite the fact that we typically vote Republican in presidential elections.
North Carolina is more of a purple state. Yes it went blue in 2008. But lately Republicans have been winning by small margins as opposed to states like Tennessee, Kentucky or Alabama where the Republican presidential candidate typically wins by 30 points. But I could never understand why Republicans in North Carolina vote for Democratic governors.

Old 11-11-2020, 06:30 PM

6,107 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsoboi78 View Post
North Carolina is more of a purple state. Yes it went blue in 2008. But lately Republicans have been winning by small margins as opposed to states like Tennessee, Kentucky or Alabama where the Republican presidential candidate typically wins by 30 points. But I could never understand why Republicans in North Carolina vote for Democratic governors.
It's a purple state not because of a close to 50/50 split in most of the counties, as that only exists in handful, such as New Hanover. The difference in NC is that the cities are noticeably more Democratic than they are in some of those other states (and I'm thinking of Oklahoma as an example).

We basically have counties like Durham and Orange that cancel out counties like Stokes and Yadkin to list a few examples, with many more rural, Republican counties but more population clustered in the Democratic counties. Most of the growth has been in the fewer Democratic counties but NC's rural counties have remained as Republican or more so than they were decades ago. I'm not sure this divergence is necessarily a good thing. That's how NC seems more like Pennsylvania from a voting standpoint than it does other Southern states.

Old 11-11-2020, 07:30 PM

4,587 posts, read 6,414,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
It's a purple state not because of a close to 50/50 split in most of the counties, as that only exists in handful, such as New Hanover. The difference in NC is that the cities are noticeably more Democratic than they are in some of those other states (and I'm thinking of Oklahoma as an example).

We basically have counties like Durham and Orange that cancel out counties like Stokes and Yadkin to list a few examples, with many more rural, Republican counties but more population clustered in the Democratic counties. Most of the growth has been in the fewer Democratic counties but NC's rural counties have remained as Republican or more so than they were decades ago. I'm not sure this divergence is necessarily a good thing. That's how NC seems more like Pennsylvania from a voting standpoint than it does other Southern states.
Yes, but unlike Virginia, NC’s urban population is slightly less than its huge small town, rural, and exurban population. Unlike blue state Virginia, NC lacks layers of counties in the same Metro that are dense, multiethnic, and affluent. NC has core urban counties that are immediately surrounded by low density to rural red counties. You go outside of Mecklenburg County, and you are essentially in small town or low density areas that are not very cosmopolitan. Until NC suburban counties are much denser, the state will continue to lean slightly red.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina