Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-11-2008, 05:23 PM

8,577 posts, read 7,848,172 times

Advertisements

anyone a state worker? if so, I have some questions, like how long was the hiring process?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-11-2008, 07:02 PM

422 posts, read 1,362,297 times
I previously worked for the State of NC.. it took about 4 months.. I applied in August, interviewed in Sept, had the psych/physical test in Oct, and hired date in November.. Another job I applied for in Wilmington earlier this year, I applied, closing date came, they called a week later for an interview for the next week.. probably about 3-4 weeks after that I got a notice that I wasn't hired. I applied for another 2 state jobs (But with a different HR agency) and they sucked regarding contact.. The closing date on 1 was 5-23-08 and I am still waiting to hear.. all I heard was they received my application. My other application I was only informed they hired someone else because I consistently called the HR dept to find out what was going on.. Good luck

Old 08-11-2008, 07:17 PM

549 posts, read 1,741,050 times
Four months, wow. In most lines of business the best candidates have multiple job offers within weeks. It's no wonder the state tends to hire the best of the best.

Old 08-11-2008, 07:23 PM

thanks for the info. I can't remember exactly when I applied. I am pretty sure it was 4 weeks from when I applied and when I was interviewed. I interviewed almost 5 weeks ago, and the interview went great. I have some confidence though. my only worry is that the job is in raleigh and I live in wilmington right now. I wonder if that will work against me. relocation is no problem, as the cities are pretty close together relatively speaking. so it has been almost 5 weeks. do you think I should call HR or something. from what I was told, I would hear one way or the other. another question for you, you say you previously worked for the state. why did you leave the job? how was working for the state?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nlblueyes View Post
I previously worked for the State of NC.. it took about 4 months.. I applied in August, interviewed in Sept, had the psych/physical test in Oct, and hired date in November.. Another job I applied for in Wilmington earlier this year, I applied, closing date came, they called a week later for an interview for the next week.. probably about 3-4 weeks after that I got a notice that I wasn't hired. I applied for another 2 state jobs (But with a different HR agency) and they sucked regarding contact.. The closing date on 1 was 5-23-08 and I am still waiting to hear.. all I heard was they received my application. My other application I was only informed they hired someone else because I consistently called the HR dept to find out what was going on.. Good luck

Old 08-11-2008, 07:24 PM

HAHA! hey, be nice! I have the patients to wait it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palmetto Heel View Post
Four months, wow. In most lines of business the best candidates have multiple job offers within weeks. It's no wonder the state tends to hire the best of the best.

Old 08-12-2008, 07:09 AM

79 posts, read 313,482 times
The hiring process can be painfully slow. Sometimes I think it depends on what agency you're dealing with and how badly they need to fill the position. Some agencies are pretty bad at communicating the status of your application also.

Old 08-12-2008, 08:12 AM

46 posts, read 211,131 times
Applied first week in January, job posting closed around 13th of January.

Called for first interview around 1st of February. 2nd interview third week of February. Job offer made on March 7th. Started work March 24th.

It is a slow process but well worth it if you find the right position.

Old 08-12-2008, 10:01 AM

831 posts, read 1,964,600 times
I applied for a state position and received a "no get" letter (formal state term) ...18 months later, and that was 18 months after I was hired for my current state position. I applied for these 2 jobs at the same time, and it took 5 months to get my current job. After that fiasco I decided to see what the actual hold up was and ask a lot of questions...it's a fascinatingly slow, stupid and backwards process. No faxing of information (resumes, applications), they refuse to read resumes at all - it's a state app PD107 or nothing. Only a few departments have their jobs posted in a format online that allows you to apply - everyone else must still receive paper apps.

If someone screws up the county spelling on the document and it's posted for hiring or some other minute detail is screwed up...they automatically grant themselves the right to post the job again and remix the applicants. We have some applicants that were interviewed in March still waiting to hear, and the jobs are still sitting on the desk of HR while they figure out a good reason to reshuffle the deck and post the job again. People who temp for a job will not be hired, they must jump back into the mix - reapply and re-interview - for the same job.

If it's as straightforward as Foyle's hiring process...consider yourself verrrry lucky!

Old 08-13-2008, 12:14 PM

767 posts, read 1,847,873 times
I am a manager with the state and have hired 3 people. The process took about 3 months each. From the time the job was closed it took 1 month for me to receive the applications from HR, about 2 weeks to finish interviews and make a decision, and about 6 more weeks for the offer to be extended by HR.

My husband just got a call for an interview today with the state...he applied 5 weeks ago.

Old 08-13-2008, 05:30 PM

7,084 posts, read 14,859,038 times
Since I was only interested in working for the state in one particular venue, the process took at least 4 months, and several applications, as one vacancy is filled, others come vacant and one must re-apply for each, the application is not a blank one for a specific job title, it is a specific one for each job listing, if there are three jobs, each for a job of the same description, you will apply three times. Sometimes I think they just got tired of seeing my name on the application and hired me to keep me from filling out more of them. Persistence pays off.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
View detailed profiles of: