Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-10-2021, 11:29 AM

4 posts, read 5,168 times

Advertisements

My husband and I are wanting to make the move from Western Nebraska to North Carolina. Between the harsh weather that we have here year round and the quality of living, we are just wanting to make a big move and we've fallen in love with North Carolina. We didn't want to lose being so close to the mountains and we'd love being close the the ocean as well so it just seemed like the perfect fit.

My husband currently works in the ag business and LOVES his job. He currently is a site foreman for a grain elevator and take great pride in the knowledge and hard work he's put in. We realize that it will be a different environment for crops there but we are wanting some information on what part of the state would be the best fit for him. From the research I've done, it looks like maybe south east of Raleigh but I just don't know where to start with this move.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2021, 11:51 AM

13,382 posts, read 27,145,912 times
Look at the Mount Olive area where pickled cucumbers are a big business. Clinton raises turkeys, so some farmers must raise feed for them. Richlands raises sorghum, soybeans and sweet potatoes. Newton Grove has a milling plant that makes breading mixes. Cotton is grown in the NE coastal counties like Bertie. Tobacco is also raised in counties inland from the coast, and there are big harvesters for it. Duplin County grows wine grapes and blueberries. I am not sure if much wheat is raised here, but I think the husband could find work somewhere.

Old 08-10-2021, 05:55 PM

4,218 posts, read 8,552,886 times
I'd suggest perusing the NC Dept. of Agriculture website if you haven't already. You may pick up some ideas or contact information worth pursuing.

N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Touching your life every day.

Old 08-11-2021, 06:59 AM

12,799 posts, read 16,388,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulrich View Post
My husband currently works in the ag business and LOVES his job. He currently is a site foreman for a grain elevator and take great pride in the knowledge and hard work he's put in. We realize that it will be a different environment for crops there but we are wanting some information on what part of the state would be the best fit for him. From the research I've done, it looks like maybe south east of Raleigh but I just don't know where to start with this move.
We don’t grow much grain like you do in Nebraska and most of our farms are small family farms. I don”t know that he will be able to find the same kind of job here. We are a leader in sweet potatoes, hogs, Christmas Trees, tobacco. Lots of chickens here too. Not that much wheat. Some corn. Some peanuts.

NC is one of the fastest growing states in the country so a lot of our small family farms are being bought out and turned into subdivisions. But there is also a lot of interest in locally grown food.

If he is willing to pivot in his job he might find something new here. Or maybe he can get on with one of the grain elevators here. There are ag jobs but I think it is a different breed of ag compared to Nebraska.

Maybe y’all could come visit and scout around?

Old 08-11-2021, 11:23 AM

4 posts, read 5,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roadpony View Post
I'd suggest perusing the NC Dept. of Agriculture website if you haven't already. You may pick up some ideas or contact information worth pursuing.

N.C. Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services - Touching your life every day.
Thank you so much for this, this will be so helpful!

Old 10-22-2021, 12:15 PM

572 posts, read 329,412 times
The jobs are in abundance as my uncle is farming their and always looking for the competent workers.

Old 10-23-2021, 01:54 PM

23,816 posts, read 34,769,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kulrich View Post
My husband and I are wanting to make the move from Western Nebraska to North Carolina. Between the harsh weather that we have here year round and the quality of living, we are just wanting to make a big move and we've fallen in love with North Carolina. We didn't want to lose being so close to the mountains and we'd love being close the the ocean as well so it just seemed like the perfect fit.

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!
You might want to check the counties west of Charlotte and Winston Salem and east of Boone and Asheville. A lot of farms have switched from cotton to grapes. There are also farms where they specialize in cows but they are usually sold as grass-fed beef. Also sweet potatoes, tomatoes, and other vegetables. Apples and blueberries are in the mountains and, to a degree in the area that I mentioned.

Your husband might want to check into the viability of the ag chemical business.

Old 10-23-2021, 11:27 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,870,145 times
Eastern NC ("east of 95") used to be almost nothing but farms. So that area is where I think of when i think of Ag. I own some farmland in Wilson county and it's definitely a big business there. Maybe fly in to Greenville and drive a few counties around?

Old 10-24-2021, 08:18 AM

6,175 posts, read 4,647,580 times
Everyone has provided good suggestions so far. Mine is a handy guide I found as this thread raised my own curiosity. There are quite a few maps and a lot of data on different farming products and where in the state they are located to help you narrow down the areas you may want to focus on, some of which have been suggested by other posters.

https://www.nass.usda.gov/Statistics...AgStatBook.pdf
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina