Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-05-2008, 02:33 PM

492 posts, read 2,107,843 times

Advertisements

If I buy a vehicle (motorhome) out of state -- in this case, Idaho -- and store it out of state for 3-4 months until I can drive it back to NC, how do I handle the inspection? I would register it right away when I buy it (because of insurance the title would need to be transferred to me), but obviously could not have it inspected within 10 days of receipt of plates.

In Texas, the law states that if a vehicle is not in state when it is registered to a Texas resident, you have 3 days after the vehicle enters the state for the first time to have it inspected. (Typically this sort of clause covers full time RVers, students out of state, people on temporary out of state job assignments, etc.) Is there a similar clause in NC?

Or can I title the vehicle in NC (ie turn in the signed-over Idaho title), but not register the vehicle (and hence start the 10 day inspection clock) until I am ready to drive it NC?

I have emailed this question to the DMV, and have searched their website for the answer, to no avail. Is there a main DMV office -- in Raleigh? -- where I might have to go in person to get the answer?

Last edited by NC_newcomer; 07-05-2008 at 02:50 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-05-2008, 03:13 PM

5,660 posts, read 26,998,136 times
If you are in a state that has an emissions program (see link state programs), have your vehicle tested and send your passing results to NC-DMV. If the state does not have an emissions program, a one year exemption can be received from NC-DMV. Contact NC-DMV Headquarters for additional information on out-of-state renewals at (919) 715-7000.

OBD Clearinghouse (http://www.obdclearinghouse.com/programstatus/ - broken link)

NCDENR - Division of Air Quality - Motor Vehicle Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) Program - AskMe
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina