Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2008, 04:33 PM

44 posts, read 145,120 times

Advertisements

Hi there - my husband is retiring from our local fire dept next jan, we are from Maryland, and considering a move south. It has become way too expensive where we are, for a 2800 sq ft home, the electric runs almost to $400/mo, and with a 1/2 acre our prop tax is almost $4k. We live near the ches. bay, and we love the water, fishing, boating, etc. We have 2 pre teen daughters that we are homeschooling, the schools are not too great where we are. We're looking for a nice neighborhood (who isn't), low crime, good schools, and a house under $330k with an acre or two if possible. I. know its alot to ask for but you never know.

We don't want to be too far from a good town, our kids will need activities etc and if we can get to the water in 15 or 20 min. that would be great!

Any ideas?? Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-18-2008, 09:32 PM

121 posts, read 388,384 times
Try the Elizabeth City/Camden area of NC.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:50 PM

Isn't that near the east coast? Thanks

Old 04-18-2008, 10:22 PM

121 posts, read 388,384 times
Yes it is closer to the coast. It's similar to the Chesapeake Bay area of Maryland.

Old 04-19-2008, 06:50 AM

Are these pretty good places to raise kids? We have 2 pre-teen daughters who will need places to go, activities etc. Also, do you know about the crime there? I've read thru alot of the posts and some people have mentioned that elizabeth city has alot of crime......

thanks for your help

Old 04-19-2008, 07:33 AM

577 posts, read 1,901,340 times
330 grand wont get you very much on Gaston or Kerr these days(waterfront). The areas surrounding the lakes are cheap but very rural and to be honest very depressed, Wise, Norlina ect. Towns near the lake in NC are henderson and oxford which are also not very nice. I would so no way to raising the kids up there. Most are retired or people here live other places and drive up to the lake as a second home, like from raleigh its only an hour away or Richmond VA. You might be more interested in Newbern or even Wilmington(more expensive and crowded). You could do alright with that budget in Newbern.

Old 04-19-2008, 05:57 PM

Thanks, we've been to New Bern and didn't get a good feel, but the weather was rainy and we only stayed 2 days, we might try it again. Do you know any good developments there?

Also, are you familiar with Ayden, Greenville, Winterville area? I've heard that Greenville has alot of crime.....

thanks

Old 04-21-2008, 01:24 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,627,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker144 View Post
Thanks, we've been to New Bern and didn't get a good feel, but the weather was rainy and we only stayed 2 days, we might try it again. Do you know any good developments there?

Also, are you familiar with Ayden, Greenville, Winterville area? I've heard that Greenville has alot of crime.....

thanks
I moved to Greenville (from Oregon) 3 years ago with my wife and now 7 year old daughter. Crime rate is fairly high for being a small city/large town. But it's mostly concentrated in the west side of town - you wouldn't be looking there anyway if you want a decent lot size. We are southeast of town a few miles, and it is very quiet; I feel far safer here than at our home outside of Portland. We have been a bit disappointed in the lack of activities for kids though.

Overall, I like Greenville. I was ready for the slower pace, and we got so much more house here than we could get almost anywhere else we considered. My wife doesn't care for it - they're not overly friendly to outsiders, at least the long time residents aren't as a whole (there are exceptions).

I don't hear too much positive about most of the schools, but our daughter goes to a private school. They periodically redistrict, meaning your assigned school can change every few years (it doesn't for everyone). The redistricting is an attempt to keep a racial balance in each school. They last redistricted in 2005, and might be doing it again soon.

Greenville is near the Tar River, but the Tar isn't a draw at all. For boating, you'll want to go at least to "little" Washington, about 25 minutes east of G-Vegas (a bizarre nickname for Greenville).

Old 04-21-2008, 03:39 PM

thanks for the information.....

Old 07-04-2008, 08:59 AM

18 posts, read 52,715 times
NC Man: What is it about Henderson that makes you think it is not very nice? I have been considering relocating to that area and a local friend has a daughter who lives there. He says it's a great place. I haven't visited the area yet and am just trying to get as much info as possible. I don't want to move and further south than that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina