Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-18-2014, 08:22 AM

2,679 posts, read 2,898,388 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The vast number of people live in suburbs and frankly a subdivision and strip mall looks the same in both places.
Charlotte 'burbs are ridiculous. I thought Raleigh was 'burbed out, but Charlotte takes the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-19-2014, 09:57 AM

1,028 posts, read 1,443,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xghsfjh View Post
The metro area Charlotte-Gastonia–Concord has an approx. population of 1.5million; slightly larger than the metro area of Milwaukee. I'm not sure I understand why the influx is causing, what many admit to be, an infrastructure problem.
And where you getting 1.5 million at? Charlotte is 2,335,358 for the metro Area and Milwaukee is 1,569,659 for the metro area and Charlotte is slightly larger lol OK.

Old 11-03-2014, 07:32 PM

15,479 posts, read 15,613,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
There's already a cheese cake factory in Fayetteville, its in Cross Creek Mall, which is already built. 'Fayetteville is good for trips, if you come, should also take the time to check out a few museums, parks, and other fantastic things Fayetteville has to offer at the largest city in eastern North Carolina
Lol^^^^
You're delusional! Here's EVERY Cheesecake Factory in NC taken directly from theheeseakefactory.com's locator:

Charlotte, NC
SouthPark Mall
4400 Sharon Road
Charlotte, NC 28211
704-770-0076
Send Address To: Email | Mobile
Details
Durham, NC
The Streets at Southpoint
8030 Renaissance Parkway
Durham, NC 27713
919-206-4082
Details
Raleigh, NC
Crabtree Valley Mall
4325 Glenwood Avenue
Raleigh, NC 27612
919-781-0050
Details

Old 11-03-2014, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmysmile View Post
What crack are you on? There is a mall under construction and there is a skyscraper, and a cheese cake factory.
There is a cheesecake factory in the food court, there is a Great Steak, Chick-Fil-a, Cheese Cake Factory, Aunt Anne's Pretzels, Pretzel Time, and a few others. Lets be smart/.
The one at market fair is a mall. Its a STRIP MALL. Which is the same thing and why do you feel the need to troll me?
Do you know what a Cheesecake Factory is? They are NOT in food courts! There is NOT one outside of Charlotte, Raleigh, or Durham. There are 3 in the entire state. ZERO, ZILCH, NADA, NONE in Fayetteville!

You have this STRANGE obsession with Fayetteville as seen on other threads. Are you the mayor?

Old 11-03-2014, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahlee boy View Post
You hit it on the head. The fact that many people ignore is that Charlotte went annex crazy in the 80's & 90's... Covering nearly 300 square miles....an area that could hold Raleigh, Durham, & Cary!!
If Raleigh was allowed to annex land to the size of Charlotte's, one could argue that the "city" limits of Raleigh and Charlotte would be closer in population size than they are now. Raleigh's city population would be between 700,000 to 800,000. Ya'll can go ahead and crunch numbers if you like...
Has Charlotte finally given up on being Mecklenburg County? For awhile, they were wanting to annex everything in the county. I was wondering how they planned on taking over places like Huntersville and Davidson since they are incorporated.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:35 PM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ss20ts View Post
Has Charlotte finally given up on being Mecklenburg County? For awhile, they were wanting to annex everything in the county. I was wondering how they planned on taking over places like Huntersville and Davidson since they are incorporated.
From the looks of Union County, it seems many areas were concerned about this happening even over county lines. Places like Marvin, Hemby Bridge, Unionville, Wesley Chapel etc. were in a rush to defensively incorporate in the later 1990's- early 2000's when unilateral annexation was still the policy in NC.

Old 11-03-2014, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jowel View Post
From the looks of Union County, it seems many areas were concerned about this happening even over county lines. Places like Marvin, Hemby Bridge, Unionville, Wesley Chapel etc. were in a rush to defensively incorporate in the later 1990's- early 2000's when unilateral annexation was still the policy in NC.
I did read - years ago - that Charlotte was looking at jumping the Mecklenburg line. Seemed like a crazy thing to do. It seemed like they never thought about what happens when the growth stops and we're stuck with half the state.

Has NC changed the annexation laws recently? I haven't kept up on it. I know in SC that 75% of the residents being annexed have to agree to it. My development was never annexed which was strange because developments a mile away were annexed prior to them being built.

I have family in Wallburg and it was interesting to hear them go through their incorporation. WS was coming for them. They were part of the 10 year annex plan. Not now!

Old 11-04-2014, 04:50 AM

1,826 posts, read 2,493,493 times
Quote:
Charlotte did attempt to annex a part of Cabarrus Country a while back. I think it was the Highland Creek area which straddles the county line. They gave up though due to opposition for the residents. I think Concord might have annexed that area now.

Old 11-04-2014, 05:32 AM

6,110 posts, read 4,602,134 times
Quote:
Has NC changed the annexation laws recently? I haven't kept up on it. I know in SC that 75% of the residents being annexed have to agree to it. My development was never annexed which was strange because developments a mile away were annexed prior to them being built.
Yes- North Carolina's law was changed a couple of years ago to also require approval of the majority of the property owners when a municipality annexes (as opposed to a property owner requesting annexation to receive municipal services). More details are here:

Annexation Reform: A Summary of the New Law « Coates' Canons

Old 11-04-2014, 01:29 PM

3,082 posts, read 4,852,030 times
City Limits have taken on a whole different dimension since the new law went into effect...now there will be a ton of satellite annexations because developers will want to be in the city limits for the increased density and ability to tap into water/sewer capacity. Cities may not extend water/sewer outside their limits or charge huge rates if an area is not paying taxes because there is no hope for annexation.

As to the comparison above of Charlotte and Milwaukee...geographic features (such as mountains in Seattle, Harbor in New York or a huge lake in Milwaukee) guide development patterns. Charlotte spreads out (which cost more for infrastructure) because that is the geographic nature of the area...plenty of land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina