Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2010, 04:06 PM

7 posts, read 16,219 times

Advertisements

I have never had a long visit to NC but I have done a few drive bys. I loved just driving through North Carolina. I currently live in Houston, TX and I have to say that I can not wait to leave. I came to Houston several times to visit and thought it would be a great place to live I hate to say that I was wrong!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It may because I am a Southern girl(originally from Alabama) and Texas is not very Southern it is more of a Southwest Texmex New Orleans type of place. There is nothing wrong with that it is just not for me. I am planning to visit NC in a month or two. I am seriously considering moving to either Charlotte or Raleigh. I am also considering Florida. I would like some views on the cities in NC and FL. I would like some real comments not just negative rants. I also don't just want butterflies and rainbows. I don't want to be scared either. I am planning a visit but I know that you have to stay in a place for a while to get the real feel of it. I would also like to state that the places I am considering in NC(Raleigh/Durahm, Charlotte, maybe some of the beach areas I love the beach) are only 6 hours away from my family in Alabama and the cities in Fl(Tampa, Jacksonville) are only about 9 hours away. Right now I am 12 hours away from my family I am not much of a flier so I only get home once a year.

Last edited by chtx08; 04-04-2010 at 04:41 PM.. Reason: additional info
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2010, 06:37 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
That is, frankly, a pretty vague question! You should go to the Florida board to ask about Florida, but it also will help if you can name what sorts of things you ARE looking for and we can narrow down the cities on each of your points.

So many Northerners are moving to NC, it is losing a LOT of its "Southernness", but it's still a Southern state and you would fit in fine here--.just get used to hearing that NY/NJ accent! Raleigh and Charlotte are becoming more and more urban, which may not be what you want, but outside the metro areas, most of NC is still VERY Southern.

Let us know a little bit more what you're looking for and we can give better counsel.

Old 04-04-2010, 07:48 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
If you talked about why you want to move (job, school, etc), it would help us give you better advice. You seem to be considering a lot of different areas. If you want to be close to the beach, don't come to Raleigh or Charlotte. I don't find North Carolina very "southern", especially compared to Virginia and South Carolina. I have driven on a lot of the back roads and I've found some really interesting small towns that do feel more southern than the Raleigh/Durham/Chapel Hill area. I can't imagine living in Florida. It's just not my cup of tea. What about places like Charleston or Savannah?

Old 04-04-2010, 09:18 PM

I am sorry I was so vague. I am looking for a mid to large sized city if that makes sense. I would like a city with lots of ammenities and diversity of people. I am african-american educated and plan on going to law school. I would like to be in a city where I am able to plant roots and have a family. I would like a city where I can grow in my career and not always feel that I want to be somewhere else. I do not go to clubs but I do love jazz music and plays, very nice restaurants, museums and parks. I have considered Savannah and Charlston but I can hardly ever find information on the diversity of the area. I know that they are both beautiful, but I am not sure if that would be a good fit. If you have any information on these areas I would really appreciate the info.

The reasons I would like to move is because the areas that I mentioned in my first post are close in similarity to the area that I am from but they seem to have more opportunities and diversity then where I am originally from, and as I previously stated it is closer to my family in Alabama than Houston which is where I am currently located. Also how is the dating scene. I am 35 never married and no children. I hope this is enough to go on. I appreciate your comments.

Old 04-05-2010, 12:04 PM

10,728 posts, read 22,829,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chtx08 View Post
I am sorry I was so vague. I am looking for a mid to large sized city if that makes sense. I would like a city with lots of ammenities and diversity of people. I am african-american educated and plan on going to law school. I would like to be in a city where I am able to plant roots and have a family. I would like a city where I can grow in my career and not always feel that I want to be somewhere else. I do not go to clubs but I do love jazz music and plays, very nice restaurants, museums and parks. I have considered Savannah and Charlston but I can hardly ever find information on the diversity of the area. I know that they are both beautiful, but I am not sure if that would be a good fit. If you have any information on these areas I would really appreciate the info.
I'm sure the South Carolina or Georgia City-data board has subforums for both of those? I've visited Charleston but it was a long time ago.

The Triangle (back to NC) is diverse and educated, and should meet that part of your criteria fine. But, jobs are scarce right now so you would not want to move here without already having a job (or school) lined up. I think Jazz (etc) is going to be better in Savannah, but I wouldn't really know. They would both fit your"mid to large sized city" criteria, but so would Durham or Greensboro in NC (though they aren't near the beach). Wilmington is another on in NC, but is more "small city" or frankly, "big town". There aren't a lot of "mid-large" cities near the coast in NC.

Have you tried the C-D forums for Ccharleston and Savannah?

Old 04-05-2010, 08:00 PM

Thanks for the advice Francois. I will definantly check those out.

Old 04-06-2010, 07:35 AM

7 posts, read 15,160 times
Florida is not a bad place to live. If you are looking for a city consider living outside of it and commuting. Make sure you have a job before you come things right now are slow. Very friendly a melting pot of people. Both coast do get hurricanes more inland less chance but they do have to come inland. Taxes are but really research schools. Good Luck

Old 04-06-2010, 08:07 PM

6,825 posts, read 9,061,623 times
I would also check out the Durham/Chapel Hill area and/or Raleigh. Durham is very diverse but might be smaller than you are looking for. Carrboro has a pretty good music scene. There is a lot of information about those cities in the Raleigh forum.

Old 07-15-2010, 08:35 AM

9 posts, read 36,004 times
lets trade! I'm in the "piedmont triad" area and I think its very "southern"...way too southern for my liking, and I guess that may be why I'm not "fitting in" with the locals...I have yet to hear a "northerner" accent or anything other than a drawl unless its someone speaking spanish. Way too much of a shock for me since I'm from L.A., I'm used to diversity and busy city life, I thought NC would of been a good option for me to raise my 4 year old in since L.A., well its L.A.(i wont go there) but I'm not liking the lifestyle out here, so I'm looking to get out of NC and head to TX since it seems to be a better option for me for the long haul.

Old 07-15-2010, 09:40 AM

2,919 posts, read 5,807,148 times
Been reading some of your posts transplant323....As a born and bred North Carolinian...I feel you about the area....I think I have personally outgrown the area...I too am looking to relocate to Phoenix.....Been there on biz several occasions with my mgr.....truly diggin it....The weather/cost of living/did I say the weather....LOL...But anyway..I had 2 friend move from Anaheim and Denver and try NC during the boom years...didnt work out for them.... they said too little diversity/not enough to do/not that many job opportunities.....Looking for your take on NC...Did i nail it on the head or what?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Carolina