Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-19-2011, 11:12 AM

79 posts, read 194,049 times

Advertisements

There seems to be so much information here about the extreme winters of North Dakota. With that in mind perhaps a few questions could be answered concerning the weather and the possibilities of a split situation of living and working there in the differant seasons. Such as,
1. When does the extreme cold of winter really start?

2. When does it end?

3. When would it be advisable to actually be able to stay in a Tent?

4. Is it even plausible to consider coming for the late Spring, Summer and early Fall and then leave for the Winter?

5. Can anyone provide any info on a working arrangement as such?

Any and all constructive advice as well as mild criticism is appreciated, there seems to be alot of very knowledgeable posters here and I eagerly await their answers. Thanks in advance for the valuable advice that I am sure you will provide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-19-2011, 11:30 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,695 times
The extreme cold can come in Late Nov. or maybe not. As they are talking highs around 50 on Thanksgiving. But the week after we could see lows below 0.

It generally ends in mid to late April. BUT we can still have cold snaps and storms in April. May is generally the safest.

As far as coming and going in winter, we call them snowbirds, and they are usually retired. But maybe you can find work that way. I would guess for a temp agency. This is not my area of expertise.

Old 11-19-2011, 11:51 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Remember too that the weather can sometimes fluctuate wildly. You can get extreme cold that might last days or a week or so with temperatures well below zero at night and even during the day. You can get warmups that can last a couple of days and take the temps to 30-40 above. Then there's the constant threat of snow and occasional blizzards. Windy conditions can occur almost anytime and combined with subzero temperatures will push the wind chill factor to 30 or 40 below (on the new wind chill charts).

It's not just the ups and downs, but the length of time the winter lasts compared to other areas of the country that get winters. Just this morning, the temp in Williston at the airport (official recording station for NWS) got to -1. It's not even Thanksgiving yet.

In Williston, it's pretty much a guarantee that you will see actual temps below -20 a number of times during any random winter. If you get lucky it can get colder than -30. Do you feel lucky?

Old 11-19-2011, 11:57 AM

2,538 posts, read 4,712,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
Remember too that the weather can sometimes fluctuate wildly. You can get extreme cold that might last days or a week or so with temperatures well below zero at night and even during the day. You can get warmups that can last a couple of days and take the temps to 30-40 above. Then there's the constant threat of snow and occasional blizzards. Windy conditions can occur almost anytime and combined with subzero temperatures will push the wind chill factor to 30 or 40 below (on the new wind chill charts).

It's not just the ups and downs, but the length of time the winter lasts compared to other areas of the country that get winters. Just this morning, the temp in Williston at the airport (official recording station for NWS) got to -1. It's not even Thanksgiving yet.

In Williston, it's pretty much a guarantee that you will see actual temps below -20 a number of times during any random winter. If you get lucky it can get colder than -30. Do you feel lucky?
Doesn't TR National Park hold the record for one the greatest temperature swings in 24 hours? I though it was something like 80 down to -20 in less than a day.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:23 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,167,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Velvet Jones View Post
Doesn't TR National Park hold the record for one the greatest temperature swings in 24 hours? I though it was something like 80 down to -20 in less than a day.
I recall reading something about the greatest swing in a 24 hour period. Can't remember where it was though. It wouldn't surprise me if it was somewhere in North Dakota or somewhere on the great plains. Lacking a large body of water to mitigate swings in temperature gets you a continental climate that can cause rapid changes in temperature given the right atmospheric conditions.

Old 11-19-2011, 12:30 PM

49 posts, read 80,961 times
Its 9 here in Bismarck. Feelis like -2 with wind chill. Next week will be 48.

Old 11-25-2011, 04:45 PM

79 posts, read 194,049 times
Well if I could find some good boots to fit me and knew that I had someplace to lay my head for a short time I would be on my way tommorow.

Old 11-26-2011, 08:02 PM

8,088 posts, read 15,163,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighPlainsDrifter73 View Post
I recall reading something about the greatest swing in a 24 hour period. Can't remember where it was though. It wouldn't surprise me if it was somewhere in North Dakota or somewhere on the great plains.
Right next door in West Dakota, er, I mean Montana:

The largest recorded temperature change over a 24-hour period occurred on January 15, 1972 in Loma, Montana, when the temperature rose from -54 to 49 °F (-47.8 to 9.4 °C).

And that's not all!!
Montanakids | Temperature Extremes

MT state motto: if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes, it'll change!

Old 11-26-2011, 10:24 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
Will need to await awhile this year it seems for the cold to sit in. Unsually mild again for another week or so. But yes, the Williston area can get quite cold at night down in the Missouri River valley as winds go callm and often the center of cold highs move overhead. -30 to -35F a couple times a winter isnt unusual. But also can have days near 32F in the winter as well....

We will see what this winter brings... from what I have read and looked at this winter will be more of a second half is worse than the first half type....

Dan GF

Old 11-27-2011, 06:25 AM

249 posts, read 645,349 times
I believe the extreme weather ends around the middle of July and begins again around the end of July...LOL
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota