Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-20-2011, 10:01 PM

443 posts, read 806,334 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
"The stone age ended, but not because of any lack or stones.
Undoubtedly the oil age will end the same way."

Sheik Yamani, one time oil minister to Saudi Arabia
"When the oil age ends, we may find ourselves in a new stone age."

Ursa22, nature loving, tree hugging, "greenie".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2011, 10:16 PM

325 posts, read 863,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ursa22 View Post
"When the oil age ends, we may find ourselves in a new stone age."

Ursa22, nature loving, tree hugging, "greenie".
Well every generation has its doomsday apocalyptics (both secular and religious), of which apparently you belong to for this age.

At any rate, the quote actually supports your earlier point, that we will eventually move on to something else (that is why I posted it) - though it does not support the idea that we will move on because we run out of oil.

By the way, I see you dropped the "argumentative" from your original response, LOL.

Old 12-20-2011, 10:18 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,827,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
You think the bubble is just heating up, it only takes one or two instances like this to pop the entire thing with the reactionary way lawmakers react to things like this. If I had a home in Williston, I'd sell it, take the money and run. Hopefully we can balance energy production, jobs, and the environment in a way where everybody benefits however.

U.S. News - EPA: 'Fracking' likely polluted town's water
Yikes 'fracking'....you had me worried there for a minute.

Old 12-21-2011, 12:58 AM

34 posts, read 85,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by internationalman View Post
It is a complicated subject, but now I am familiar with the two theories of the origin of petroleum, the conventional one that assumes that oil is biogenic, originating as plant and animal matter and the other, that it is abiogenic, it or its raw material having been formed with the earth when it was formed 4.5 billion years ago.

My learning curve began several years ago with a short article that described the oil field beneath the Eugene 330 oil platform in the Gulf of Mexico. I lost the clipping but did not forget the story of a dried up oil well that was refilling itself. This spring when I found a new discussion of Eugene 330, essentially describing the same conditions, my original conclusions of a mantle filled with or manufacturing petroleum were reinforced, leading to the conclusion that the world's supply of oil was essentially limitless. But by now the Peak Oil people were out in force and desperate to prove that we are due to run out of oil soon, and must prepare ourselves for war and/or starvation. This led me to:

C. Maurice and C. Smithson, Doomsday Mythology: "Every ten or fifteen years since the late 1800's (when we began using petroleum) ‘experts' have predicted that oil reserves would last only ten more years. These ‘experts' have predicted nine of the last zero oil-reserve exhaustions."

Sheik Yamani, one time oil minister to Saudi Arabia, who stated in a speech to Europeans, "The stone age ended, but not because of any lack or stones. Undoubtedly the oil age will end the same way."

Jean Whelan, a geochemist and senior researcher with the Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute assigned to study the Eugene field. Becoming familiar with the phenomenon, she said " . . .. I believe there is a huge system of oil just migrating deep underground"

Dr. Thomas Gold's book The Deep Hot Biosphere, in which he theorizes that our oil or the methane from which it could evolve, was formed 4.5 billion years ago when the earth began, that it is not a fossil fuel but picks up traces of fossils as it works its way upwards. This theory leaves the earth with a huge supply of oil unlike the fossil theory, which assumes oil to be the result of a one-time dying off of animals and plants.

The Russian Ukrainian Deep Abiotic Theory (except for Dr Gold, virtually unknown in the West) has long gone beyond theory, the Russians having brought in several fields producing abiotic oil using super deep drilling technology. By 1946 their production had dropped off. Now, they, along with Saudi Arabia and ourselves are one of the three largest producers in the world. This, plus our oil shale, and Canada's tar sands, plus as yet unimagined technologies, plus the fact that oil is only a part of the total energy picture make it seem highly unlikely the world will ever run out of oil.

One clincher in the debate is that Peak Oil writings are terribly muddled. The other is the suspicion that its adherents seem to fall into Professor Kuhn's description of people who cannot accept anything outside their conventional world, people who cannot be scientifically critical, whose every belief must fit their current paradigm.

Geroge Crispin from a 2005 commentary on oil

Very interesting information there. I will definitely have to read up on that. I just assumed that what I was taught in school was correct...that we'd eventually run out of oil. Maybe there IS hope for the future.

I am one of those nonbelievers who think we have little effect on our environment. I don't worry at all about "Global Warming"...sic. I'm more concerned about garbage filling up our landfills. They aren't decomposing as fast as promised. I try to practice "reduce..reuse", but recycling usually creates more hazardous waste than making new stuff. But I digress.

It is good for the country, and it's people, to dig oil out of the ground...it creates much needed jobs. In my opinion, PEOPLE come first.

/rant

Old 12-25-2011, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusman View Post
Very interesting information there. I will definitely have to read up on that. I just assumed that what I was taught in school was correct...that we'd eventually run out of oil. Maybe there IS hope for the future.
Always a dangerous proposition, believing what you were taught in school is correct.

Quote:
I am one of those nonbelievers who think we have little effect on our environment. I don't worry at all about "Global Warming"...sic. I'm more concerned about garbage filling up our landfills. They aren't decomposing as fast as promised. I try to practice "reduce..reuse", but recycling usually creates more hazardous waste than making new stuff. But I digress.
I think it is only recently via technology that recycling has become a viable approach, before then it was definitely a pseudo-scientific farce driven by agendas that had nothing to do with evidence.

Quote:
It is good for the country, and it's people, to dig oil out of the ground...it creates much needed jobs. In my opinion, PEOPLE come first.

/rant
That has always been the historic approach, even among groups of people who supposedly revered the earth. People, and their survival, were always first.

Old 12-26-2011, 11:36 AM

394 posts, read 1,169,473 times
Million Dollar Way (All Bakken All The Time): EPA - Wyoming Shenanigans

Old 12-26-2011, 01:13 PM

18,700 posts, read 42,057,790 times
Just wanted to point out, this is not a news source, it's one man's blog on what he thinks and it's his opinion of what's going on.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post
Just wanted to point out, this is not a news source, it's one man's blog on what he thinks and it's his opinion of what's going on.
Oh yeah, like a "news source" is going to be more trustworthy. The media in this country is constantly shilling for one side or the other, all while operating under the illusion of objectivity.

Even so, it is easy to distinguish the blogger's opinion from the sources he quotes. And like all the alphabet soup agencies under the domain of the Feds, you can be sure there is something other than truth guiding their agenda. That much seems clear from one of the "news source"(s) quoted in the piece.

Old 12-26-2011, 01:55 PM

4,794 posts, read 12,375,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
You think the bubble is just heating up, it only takes one or two instances like this to pop the entire thing with the reactionary way lawmakers react to things like this. If I had a home in Williston, I'd sell it, take the money and run. Hopefully we can balance energy production, jobs, and the environment in a way where everybody benefits however.

U.S. News - EPA: 'Fracking' likely polluted town's water
I agree with your assessment of an over-reaction or panic. Most problems associated with the fracking appear to have been related to wells that either didn't have proper concrete lining , especially near the surface where ground water is, or the pools where they store the waste water were not properly lined.
These energy companies aren't stupid. They know if they start contaminating local drinking water, the party's over. Fix the problems, by all means but don't destroy a new energy boom and play into the hands of radical environmentalists who would like to shut this all down regardless of whether it's safe or not.

The Wall Street Journal had a good editorial countering some of the misleading claims from the EPA on this Wyoming story, reprinted on facebook:
The EPA's Fracking Scare (Wall Street Journal Editorial) | Facebook

Old 12-26-2011, 06:17 PM

394 posts, read 1,169,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElkHunter View Post

Kind of like Fahrenheit 9/11?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
View detailed profiles of: