Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-28-2012, 01:02 PM

75 posts, read 162,347 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
QualityMike, You are the kind of driver the fields are looking for. Hope you got housing too. Good luck!!
Thank you.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2012, 08:18 PM

12 posts, read 23,360 times
Hello everyone, its been awhile since I been on here. Been very busy. But in January already, going on 2 years up here in Minot, ND. I am stilling working for the same company and they are hiring like crazy, and the new people have found homes here in Minot. There are plenty of work here, but rent houses may be an issue, unless you are willing to get an new one. I have read some of the threads, my best advise to each of you, so to don't give up. Do check the paper, Minot news and the Shopper Inc. Craigslist, there are jobs and some apts or homes. Anyway hopes this help. Peace.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:16 PM

75 posts, read 162,347 times
Company housing just opened up, I start March 1st. Gave notice at the current job and I will be heading up within 2 weeks.

Old 02-12-2012, 06:24 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,214,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityMike View Post
Company housing just opened up, I start March 1st. Gave notice at the current job and I will be heading up within 2 weeks.
Yeah!! Good Job...Congrats, and hope everything goes really well!!!

Old 02-13-2012, 12:12 AM

625 posts, read 1,882,258 times
Congrats! Please keep us posted on how things go once you get here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by QualityMike View Post

Old 02-13-2012, 07:15 AM

9 posts, read 23,517 times
I came out to ND three weeks ago to stay for a couple of weeks working for a friend of mine putting up some steel buildings. This was to give me a chance to stay out there and do some job hunting in my spare time and he gave me a place to stay. Didn't really get much job hunting done but at the end of it all I drove up to Watford City and did a driving test for a big company up there and was scheduled for orientation on the 20th of Feb. I am very excited butI don't want to be away from my wife who is pregnant and my three kids. I bought a park model camper to bring out there but am having trouble finding a place to put it. Gonna call the company I'll be working for to see what they have available but thought I would give this a shot too. Don't have a whole lot to work with cuz my truck broke down while getting this camper and has set me back over $1000 in surprise expenses. Looking forward to starting my new job though and being in ND, hopefully with my family. Been reading this forum a lot and wanted to say thanks for all the info on here. I'll do my best to do the same. Thanks!

Old 02-13-2012, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy1301 View Post
I came out to ND three weeks ago to stay for a couple of weeks working for a friend of mine putting up some steel buildings. This was to give me a chance to stay out there and do some job hunting in my spare time and he gave me a place to stay. Didn't really get much job hunting done but at the end of it all I drove up to Watford City and did a driving test for a big company up there and was scheduled for orientation on the 20th of Feb. I am very excited butI don't want to be away from my wife who is pregnant and my three kids. I bought a park model camper to bring out there but am having trouble finding a place to put it. Gonna call the company I'll be working for to see what they have available but thought I would give this a shot too. Don't have a whole lot to work with cuz my truck broke down while getting this camper and has set me back over $1000 in surprise expenses. Looking forward to starting my new job though and being in ND, hopefully with my family. Been reading this forum a lot and wanted to say thanks for all the info on here. I'll do my best to do the same. Thanks!
Congrats on your job! Have you asked your friend if he knows somewhere you could park your camper?? I wish you good luck, housing is the biggest issue in that area. I know there are houses in small towns nearer to east side of the state, I think some folks might be interested in getting their family sit up, and working away and driving home on weeks off. Still houses in the 50-60,000 range for sale. Hatton, Mayville, Buxton, just to name a couple. Do a map check, and start calling, if your family was a few hr drive away, and you got job housing, i.e. man camp housing...you might be set.

Old 02-13-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
Congrats on your job! Have you asked your friend if he knows somewhere you could park your camper?? I wish you good luck, housing is the biggest issue in that area. I know there are houses in small towns nearer to east side of the state, I think some folks might be interested in getting their family sit up, and working away and driving home on weeks off. Still houses in the 50-60,000 range for sale. Hatton, Mayville, Buxton, just to name a couple. Do a map check, and start calling, if your family was a few hr drive away, and you got job housing, i.e. man camp housing...you might be set.
Yeah I've asked him and he doesn't know of any places that have spots open. Gonna try and find something a little closer cuz it's really hard on my wife when I'm gonna be away for three weeks at a time. Tried the company I'm gonna be working for but the person to talk to was out of the office for the time being so I gotta try back later.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:13 PM

Well I talked to my company and they have a brand new 2 bedroom apartment all ready for my family and I to move into! Really stinkin' excited. Too bad I have this big park model that I went out of my way to buy for this, oh well. Might hang on to it, might sell it. My advice to people out there: If you have the means to make the trip up there and show employers that you are serious and meet them face to face do it. I filled out countless applications online and sent out many resumes but the only way that really worked was actually going out there and meeting people and being persistent. I realize not everyone has someone out there to stay with but where there is a will there is a way.

Old 02-13-2012, 02:25 PM

Default Persistance pays off!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by countryboy1301 View Post
Well I talked to my company and they have a brand new 2 bedroom apartment all ready for my family and I to move into! Really stinkin' excited. Too bad I have this big park model that I went out of my way to buy for this, oh well. Might hang on to it, might sell it. My advice to people out there: If you have the means to make the trip up there and show employers that you are serious and meet them face to face do it. I filled out countless applications online and sent out many resumes but the only way that really worked was actually going out there and meeting people and being persistent. I realize not everyone has someone out there to stay with but where there is a will there is a way.
Good Job!! Glad you got housing. You could sell that camper there probably really easily if you want the hassle of taking it. So glad for you, housing is really hard to get there, you got so lucky. Welcome, almost...to North Dakota!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota