Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 02:15 AM

105 posts, read 203,440 times

Advertisements

I heard on 60 minutes that they can't find enough people to fill oil positions. What kind of positions are there for someone with a AA degree? Is this oil boom and job boom still going on?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2011, 03:30 AM

34 posts, read 85,650 times
The information that I have read/heard, is that the boom will last for several years. Housing is the current hotbed issue, for the foreseeable future. There are all kinds of jobs, don't know about those that are applicable to an AA degree.

Hope this helps.
Good luck from a fellow future transplant.
lazarusman

Old 12-22-2011, 06:28 AM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Helpful is to check all the threads that pertain to jobs on the North Dakota forum. You'll find there are many folks w/ no degree, or various degrees or CDL's, HazMat and various endorcements that have found, or are seeking jobs related to the oil fields. It appears one general rule of thumb, depending on the job that you are seeking, is whether you have some/ or alot of manual labor, or re: truck jobs, a cdl and/or driving experience. Although it also appears that they are hiring drivers w/ no experience, w/ new cdl's in many cases. Lots of job websites, and info in many threads, read, read, and check companies. here is one I put in a thread called, Are there really jobs in North Dakota. Look at all the various threads, lots of folks much more informed than I. Big factor is housing, there is virtually no housing independent of that which may or may not be included in a job offer. Good luck, plan well.
.http://www.theoildrum.co m/
Jobs N.D.
North Dakota State Government - Home
North Dakota Department of Commerce - Ambassadors: Work : WebFair ND (http://www.experience.nd.gov/work/webfair-nd/ - broken link)
Publication all about Bakken
Million Dollar Way (All Bakken All The Time)

Last edited by JanND; 12-22-2011 at 06:33 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 12-22-2011, 08:59 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,065,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dakota View Post
I heard on 60 minutes that they can't find enough people to fill oil positions. What kind of positions are there for someone with a AA degree? Is this oil boom and job boom still going on?
Have you read any of the threads?

Old 12-22-2011, 12:43 PM

58 posts, read 139,242 times
ElkHunter, I have to say thank you for your posting. I have asked a few questions on here but I read pages of threads before asking. I have noticed that it is weekly that someone will ask a question that has been answered many times over. I hope you are doing well and staying warm Shipmate. Happy holidays to you and yours!

Old 12-24-2011, 01:29 PM

45 posts, read 125,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4dakota View Post
I am up here (Dickinson) and working (Belfield). Tons of jobs, and I haven't even made it to Williston, Minot, or New Town.

If you can get your cdl before coming here, I'd do it. They need drivers like crazy. (Class A, air brakes, combination, hazmat, tanker).

Welding helps, too.

Is your AA just general or do you have a major?

Old 12-25-2011, 10:20 AM

79 posts, read 194,049 times
No the boom is over just stay where you are there is absolutely nothing to gain by coming here.
All of this typed with a mischievous grin on my face and yes a Pun is intended.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazarusman View Post
The information that I have read/heard, is that the boom will last for several years. Housing is the current hotbed issue, for the foreseeable future. There are all kinds of jobs, don't know about those that are applicable to an AA degree.

Hope this helps.
Good luck from a fellow future transplant.
lazarusman
your planning on going as well? I heard the housing problem as well.

Old 12-26-2011, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BounceMan View Post
I am up here (Dickinson) and working (Belfield). Tons of jobs, and I haven't even made it to Williston, Minot, or New Town.

If you can get your cdl before coming here, I'd do it. They need drivers like crazy. (Class A, air brakes, combination, hazmat, tanker).

Welding helps, too.

Is your AA just general or do you have a major?

just an AA. I got some points on my regular driver license I wonder if that can block you from a cdl? I've driven trucks before and farm equipment

Old 01-02-2012, 02:20 AM

What company is behind the oil boom? Where do you apply to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota