Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM
npx npx started this thread

1 posts, read 1,590 times

Advertisements

Hi! I'm looking at moving to Williston and I'm curious: what's the most I can do to make my landing as soft as possible?

My background is in software development but I'm 25 years old, in decent shape (6ft, 160lbs), and I have no problem with manual labor or cold weather. My driving record is pretty terrible, but I'm not really interested in trucking positions.

I want to get my foot in the door in the oil industry at one of the major multinational companies (Halliburton, etc). I've been researching hydraulic fracturing and rigging and trying to get a feel for the equipment and technology used in the field and figure out where I might be able to fit in.

I've applied online to several positions at Halliburton and sent e-mails to ICCS and Kleven Construction. I've registered at jobsnd.com and I'm going to be filtering through their listing and applying to everything that looks interesting.

My main question is, what else can I do to make this a reality? What am I missing?

Are there any websites that deal specifically with the oil industry? I found rigzone.com but I was hoping there was something with more of a social twist to it. I'd like to establish some contacts, if possible.

Is there any place for software expertise in the field or on rigs? I have no problem getting my hands dirty (I'd actually like to get in great shape), but I'd love to work on the firmware for servo controllers or something along those lines. I realize that it'd be very difficult (nearly impossible) to get my foot in the front door without a degree but if I can sit down and talk to the IT staff, I think they'll realize that I'm serious.

What are some good moves that I can make which will make a move to North Dakota easier? I just want to maximize my chances of making a smooth transition from here to there. Any tips or tricks in this area would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2012, 08:26 PM

581 posts, read 2,215,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npx View Post
Hi! I'm looking at moving to Williston and I'm curious: what's the most I can do to make my landing as soft as possible?

My background is in software development but I'm 25 years old, in decent shape (6ft, 160lbs), and I have no problem with manual labor or cold weather. My driving record is pretty terrible, but I'm not really interested in trucking positions.

I want to get my foot in the door in the oil industry at one of the major multinational companies (Halliburton, etc). I've been researching hydraulic fracturing and rigging and trying to get a feel for the equipment and technology used in the field and figure out where I might be able to fit in.

I've applied online to several positions at Halliburton and sent e-mails to ICCS and Kleven Construction. I've registered at jobsnd.com and I'm going to be filtering through their listing and applying to everything that looks interesting.

My main question is, what else can I do to make this a reality? What am I missing?

Are there any websites that deal specifically with the oil industry? I found rigzone.com but I was hoping there was something with more of a social twist to it. I'd like to establish some contacts, if possible.

Is there any place for software expertise in the field or on rigs? I have no problem getting my hands dirty (I'd actually like to get in great shape), but I'd love to work on the firmware for servo controllers or something along those lines. I realize that it'd be very difficult (nearly impossible) to get my foot in the front door without a degree but if I can sit down and talk to the IT staff, I think they'll realize that I'm serious.

What are some good moves that I can make which will make a move to North Dakota easier? I just want to maximize my chances of making a smooth transition from here to there. Any tips or tricks in this area would be appreciated.
Job title E-Tech. (Electronic Tech) Try Frac Tech in Minot. Or Cal Frac or Oasis Well Services in Williston.

Old 04-29-2012, 12:38 PM

15 posts, read 44,396 times
A lot of software development happens in Fargo. If your heart is really set in that, I wouldn't even bother looking out west. You can make a great living with that in Fargo and the cost of living is substantially lower here than in Williston.

Check out Pedigree Technologies. They do asset tracking and other machine-to-machine development for companies in the patch. They seem to hire software engineers quite frequently.

Old 04-29-2012, 06:19 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,221,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by npx View Post

I've seen every guy w/ your background being told to look at Hydraulic Fracturing companies. CalFrac is one....
here is a link to a thread with some companies listed, you'll need to cut and paste the various links, most are broken in the thread.
COMMUNITY JOB Links, Websites & resources:Add your's as you discover new resources... ( 1 2)

my favorite publication; scroll all the way down to see all the links in the right margin menu...it is an amazing resource
Rockin' the Bakken - News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota