Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-15-2012, 01:30 PM

71 posts, read 79,728 times

Advertisements

My company may be sending me to Minot

When is the nicest time of the year to visit Minot? Winters are Very Cold I am sure.

What are the WELL TO DO area's to stay in Minot?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-15-2012, 06:31 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sara Lee View Post
My company may be sending me to Minot

When is the nicest time of the year to visit Minot? Winters are Very Cold I am sure.

What are the WELL TO DO area's to stay in Minot?
To visit would be largely based on when your company wants you there. It may not warm up considerably until April so make sure you have winter clothing that has some insulation to it.

Minot is in the middle of a housing crisis. The oil boom has overwhelmed the town and rents are pretty high. The flood in 2011 wiped out 15% of the homes in town and some of those haven't been rebuilt due to the shorter summer weather when mold issues and such can be treated. There really isn't a bad part of Minot but I guess I would recommend against renting places in the river valley unless you get them thoroughly checked for mold.

I would recommend telling your company to clearly define where you will be living while you are here and how long it will be. If they can't give you definitive answers like "you will be there for 6 months at 2000 elm street living in a 1 bedroom apartment with three other people" (hope this is not the case), refuse to go until they do. Minot and the rest of Western ND are not places to show up without a plan on where to live.

Old 12-15-2012, 08:16 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
As previously mentioned the June 2011 flood destroyed many homes near the Souris/Mouse river. The housing market was already tight due to the oil boom just west of the region and the increase in personnel at the Minot Air base that moved in over the past few years. Building has been quite strong in the past year and there is a bit more to choose from, but that said rental prices and home sale prices are quite high compared to a few years ago.

My wife is from Minot, and from visiting there....most if not all the newer construction is in the hills away from Minot downtown. Typically the west and southwest have the newer construction (mall area and west and south) but now quite a bit of building is in the northwest side of town west of the airport where new commercial interests are coming in. Southeast Minot also has new construction.

To get an idea of where the the newer homes are...
here is a link to look at homes for sale

Minot Real Estate, Burlington Real Estate, Ward County Real Estate

Generally speaking....most newer or new homes with around 2000 sq ft completed will run 275-325k to start. 2-3 BR and 2 BA. Now of course older homes will run less.

That said if looking to rent do not come to Minot without finding a place.
Dan

Old 12-15-2012, 08:44 PM

4,865 posts, read 6,929,879 times
Unless your company is providing specific housing there, I'd try to get out of the "promotion".

Old 12-15-2012, 10:50 PM

thanks for the info. my company always provides me with either a luxury hotel suite or corporate apartments.

so April is the best time to come? Is that the only month?

Old 12-15-2012, 11:08 PM

73 posts, read 175,733 times
HI,

If you want to make sure and hit nice weather in Minot - I would wait to visit until May. We can and have gotten many blizzards into April. Though other years is can be very nice.... May- June-July- August- Sept and Oct - are the nicest months for a visit.

Old 12-15-2012, 11:30 PM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ndgrrl View Post
HI,

If you want to make sure and hit nice weather in Minot - I would wait to visit until May. We can and have gotten many blizzards into April. Though other years is can be very nice.... May- June-July- August- Sept and Oct - are the nicest months for a visit.
I came up here on May 1, 2008 from Texas there was snow on the ground when I got here until late May. I froze my Nose off until Mid June. That same year if memory serves me right we got our first snow on Labor Day. However, that year was the coldest year I've experienced here. I must admit that since then June thru Sept have been very nice.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:06 AM

okay so summer season it is thank you for the info.

Old 12-16-2012, 03:11 AM

I am looking into Grand International and Staybidge Suites.

Old 12-17-2012, 07:24 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,218,221 times
The Staybridge might have actual suites that you can cook in. The Grand International is a hotel only from what I've seen. I don't know of them having kitchenette rooms. The Grand International might be a little bit better on noise as there is oil traffic along US 2 and US 83. The north side of Minot gets more USAF traffic than oil traffic.

I would deal with road/highway noise to get a kitchenette if I were living there long term. I would go with Staybridge if you can.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota