Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 PM

5,585 posts, read 5,015,250 times

Advertisements

What are the average temps in North Dakota?
Price of new single family homes in good neighborhoods?

Last edited by ElkHunter; 06-14-2014 at 12:01 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-14-2014, 01:09 AM

15,946 posts, read 12,290,309 times
climatewise eastern North Dakota is among the coldest region in the continental United States. Dare I say the winters would qualify as 'brutal' to all but natives of the region. -10 to -30 night time lows are fairly common in the winter, and the 'summers' they have are even shorter than here in Brookings, South Dakota where they are already somewhat annoyingly short.

It's not the cold so much as it is the lack of warm fronts to break up the cold once in a while. There are very few warm fronts which are warm enough to melt show in most of North Dakota, and no chinook wind effects in all except the SW portion of the state.

Rapid City, South Dakota on the other hand has a wonderful climate in comparison due to chinook winds. The difference is literally night and day. It can get below zero, but will have days where it's also 50-60 and the snow all melts. That makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world, and it does suck living in a climate where there are no days in December, January, or February where it gets above freezing and/or high enough to melt significant snow, which is more like 45 degrees at least.

However, it works for some people. Some are not outdoor types or have bad allergies which are better in the winter. If the job pays enough Fargo would make a reasonable choice for that reason.. money talks. Also Fargo is not terribly far from some nice lakes and tree filled areas to the east. It is cold though.
http://addins.kwwl.com/blogs/weather...-Max-Temps.png

Everybody in 'east river' of South Dakota tends to be envious of both Rapid City's warmer temps and also lack of mosquitoes from the drier climate. Wish there was good paying jobs out there. It's a 'best kept secret' climate, it's really that good. Better than Arizona, better than the humid, stickly climates of the Southeast US, right up there with Denver for a good climate. Only California's climate is better...

Last edited by sholomar; 06-14-2014 at 01:18 AM..

Old 06-14-2014, 01:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stockwiz View Post
climatewise eastern North Dakota is among the coldest region in the continental United States. Dare I say the winters would qualify as 'brutal' to all but natives of the region. -10 to -30 night time lows are fairly common in the winter, and the 'summers' they have are even shorter than here in Brookings, South Dakota where they are already somewhat annoyingly short.

It's not the cold so much as it is the lack of warm fronts to break up the cold once in a while. There are very few warm fronts which are warm enough to melt show in most of North Dakota, and no chinook wind effects in all except the SW portion of the state.

Rapid City, South Dakota on the other hand has a wonderful climate in comparison due to chinook winds. The difference is literally night and day. It can get below zero, but will have days where it's also 50-60 and the snow all melts. That makes ALL THE DIFFERENCE in the world, and it does suck living in a climate where there are no days in December, January, or February where it's above 40 degrees on average.
Thanks for that info. I have heard that about North Dakota that it's very cold there. I have also heard it has a great economy. I like it cold but in the 40-65 degree range.
I have also heard that South Dakota is the only state of the union where the population is going down. is it because of the cold temps?

Old 06-14-2014, 06:56 AM

15,501 posts, read 17,081,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowhereman427 View Post
Thanks for that info. I have heard that about North Dakota that it's very cold there. I have also heard it has a great economy. I like it cold but in the 40-65 degree range.
I have also heard that South Dakota is the only state of the union where the population is going down. is it because of the cold temps?
Up until the Fracking started in Western ND, we were also loosing population rapidly.

Prior to 2009 the highest population ND ever had was in 1930. Then it declined. But in 2009 it began to soar.

SOURCE

I suspect this will drop again as soon as the oil field jobs come to an end.

The weather is a big factor along with the remoteness from the major population centers. Plus the agri business seems to be more profitable than industrialization. Something to keep in mind ND is the largest wheat producer in the US. Loss of farmland to industrialization will have a huge impact on US food prices. Each new non-Agriculture job in North Dakota results in loss of farmland and creates a need to import more food products.

While the big boost in the oil fields is having a huge financial impact, I predict overall it is going to be a disaster in terms of food production.

Quote:
North Dakota durum producers harvest an average of 50 million bushels (1.4 million tons), accounting for about two-thirds of the nation's average 85 million-bushel (2.3 million ton) crop
SOURCE

But I think most North Dakota farmers have enough sense to keep their secure long term farms and not succumb to the temptation to build housing complexes. Those farms can support families for many generations to come. The oil industry lasts only as long as there is new oil to be found.

The end result will be a limit on how many housing units can exist in the state. Housing will always be a major issue for people desiring to move here.

Yes the harsh weather does limit the number of people that desire to live here. The current oil boom is producing a false temporary population increase. I suspect most of the oil workers leave after their first winter. but plenty others are willing to take their place and see if they can survive a ND winter.

Old 06-15-2014, 06:31 PM

93 posts, read 169,695 times
Quote:
I hate to say it, but 40-65 is actually on the WARM end for North Dakota. Last December, the HIGH did not get above zero for SIXTEEN DAYS. And we still had January, February, and March to go. The leaves did not come out on the trees until school let out at the end of May. My kids start wearing shorts when it gets in the 40-60 degree range! (Um. Unless you're talking 40-60 BELOW zero... We get those windchills, too. But at our house we don't wear shorts then.) Expect snow on the ground (continually without melting) from late November until April.

Summer can be 97 with 90% humidity, but a lot of days are muggy and in the 70s-80s, too. (School was canceled last year for both excessive heat and cold.)

House prices are higher than you'd expect, given the fact that most people aren't er...drawn to the area for the weather. A decent (but not spectacular) 4-bed, 2-bath house in Grand Forks rents for $1500-1600 and up. The housing market is very tight, with extremely few rentals for non-students. Houses for sale go fast. There is much more demand than supply, so expect to pay more than you think you should. From what I understand, it's easier to find housing in Fargo than Grand Forks. In the oil areas, the problem is worse. A shortage of housing is pretty much an issue to consider when moving anywhere in the state.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:05 PM

4,818 posts, read 11,004,690 times
I concur 40 is not cold ...i work in the weather business in grand forks and the first 40 of the spring is shorts and tshirt weather in march. North dakota weather is highly variable....day to day and season to season.

Old 06-15-2014, 07:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaninEGF View Post
I concur 40 is not cold ...i work in the weather business in grand forks and the first 40 of the spring is shorts and tshirt weather in march. North dakota weather is highly variable....day to day and season to season.
For much of the year one can say "If you don't like the weather, don't worry, it will change"

On the worse winter day, just keep in mind it can get worse---and it will.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodrow LI View Post
Up until the Fracking started in Western ND, we were also loosing population rapidly.

Prior to 2009 the highest population ND ever had was in 1930. Then it declined. But in 2009 it began to soar.

SOURCE

I suspect this will drop again as soon as the oil field jobs come to an end.

The weather is a big factor along with the remoteness from the major population centers. Plus the agri business seems to be more profitable than industrialization. Something to keep in mind ND is the largest wheat producer in the US. Loss of farmland to industrialization will have a huge impact on US food prices. Each new non-Agriculture job in North Dakota results in loss of farmland and creates a need to import more food products.

While the big boost in the oil fields is having a huge financial impact, I predict overall it is going to be a disaster in terms of food production.

SOURCE

But I think most North Dakota farmers have enough sense to keep their secure long term farms and not succumb to the temptation to build housing complexes. Those farms can support families for many generations to come. The oil industry lasts only as long as there is new oil to be found.

The end result will be a limit on how many housing units can exist in the state. Housing will always be a major issue for people desiring to move here.

Yes the harsh weather does limit the number of people that desire to live here. The current oil boom is producing a false temporary population increase. I suspect most of the oil workers leave after their first winter. but plenty others are willing to take their place and see if they can survive a ND winter.
tHAT was a very good analysis of what is going on in ND and with the economy, housing and job outlook especially on how it will affect everyone. From where ND was before to now to what it might become. Thank you for this very informative info

Old 06-15-2014, 10:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wanderer7 View Post
I hate to say it, but 40-65 is actually on the WARM end for North Dakota. Last December, the HIGH did not get above zero for SIXTEEN DAYS. And we still had January, February, and March to go. The leaves did not come out on the trees until school let out at the end of May. My kids start wearing shorts when it gets in the 40-60 degree range! (Um. Unless you're talking 40-60 BELOW zero... We get those windchills, too. But at our house we don't wear shorts then.) Expect snow on the ground (continually without melting) from late November until April.

Summer can be 97 with 90% humidity, but a lot of days are muggy and in the 70s-80s, too. (School was canceled last year for both excessive heat and cold.)

House prices are higher than you'd expect, given the fact that most people aren't er...drawn to the area for the weather. A decent (but not spectacular) 4-bed, 2-bath house in Grand Forks rents for $1500-1600 and up. The housing market is very tight, with extremely few rentals for non-students. Houses for sale go fast. There is much more demand than supply, so expect to pay more than you think you should. From what I understand, it's easier to find housing in Fargo than Grand Forks. In the oil areas, the problem is worse. A shortage of housing is pretty much an issue to consider when moving anywhere in the state.
yes for ND that probably is on the warm side but that is my preferred temp at least when I am about here. As soon as it gets above 77 degrees I start to sweat. San Francisco has fog to keep me cool but y et sometimes I find it on the warm side here but my body has been that way all of my life.

97 is hot for me but it seems to be that places that get real cold in winter get real hot in summer. What can you do?

so the real estate market sounds like it's just as bad as it is here and it is headed that way for sure. Mortgages / rents here are $3,000 plus now unless you were fortunate to buy years and years ago. It's a seller's market here because of the shortage of apartments and housing. Job market is bad too unless you are in silicone valley and a computer wiz.

That's really too bad about the real estate market in ND.

Old 06-15-2014, 10:24 PM

Quote:
yes for ND that probably is on the warm side but that is my preferred temp at least when I am about here. As soon as it gets above 77 degrees I start to sweat. San Francisco has fog to keep me cool but y et sometimes I find it on the warm side here but my body has been that way all of my life.

97 is hot for me but it seems to be that places that get real cold in winter get real hot in summer. What can you do?

so the real estate market sounds like it's just as bad as it is here and it is headed that way for sure. Mortgages / rents here are $3,000 plus now unless you were fortunate to buy years and years ago. It's a seller's market here because of the shortage of apartments and housing. Job market is bad too unless you are in silicone valley and a computer wiz.

That's really too bad about the real estate market in ND.
Not very long ago, it was a buyers market here. But there were no buyers. Add to it the spring floods 3 years ago destroyed thousands of houses. Many have not been replaced. the 2011 flood destroyed 4,100 homes in Minot alone.

SOURCE
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota