Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-29-2011, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 56,480 times

Advertisements

Sorry to say, but yep I'm another one of those jokers from Michigan

Interested in moving to to ND for work in the oil industry. (Like everyone else, it seems.) I guess my main problem is I don't know anyone who has an insider's view of oil careers. Looks like there are lots of jobs that get your foot in the door. But I've heard drilling jobs aren't long-term. And I suppose truck driving wouldn't give you much opportunity for advancement and better pay over time. Any thoughts about what kinds of jobs offer long-term stability and prospects for "moving up the ladder"? Would something like well testing be a good option?

Also, most posts I've read seem to favor the Williston area instead of Minot for the most job prospects. I'd be happy to head there and start knocking on doors but want to make sure I'm looking in the right area.

In case background is important... No CDL but I'd definitely be willing to drive. Very stable work history and no drugs/alcohol, no personal drama whatsoever. I made it through Organic Chem II/Calc II/Physics II in college while working full-time, so figure I can learn anything short of Engineering. Have very good service/people skills.

Any input/thoughts you might have would be wonderful. Thank you very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2011, 02:17 PM

1,368 posts, read 3,217,838 times
In my opinion, it depends on what you consider advancement. You can work for a drilling company with no experience largely because being a rig hand is unique experience and really no other way to prepare for it. Those are really the only oil industry jobs you qualify for. Rig foreman positions are ones that you have to work in to. You may qualify as a general laborer but without additional certifications, you won't advance far.

You have to have a CDL to haul water/oil/ect. If you don't have one, I'm not certain how much companies are willing to dump into training you because you aren't local, ie. an employer would dump 5-10k into training and then you don't pass or pass and then leave for the bigger-better-deal and house you the entire time.

You don't qualify as a drilling engineer, geologist, seismologist, project manager, process engineer, landman, business analyst, x-ray tech, or purchasing agent. These are all degreed positions. Landmen used to not be but has been a strong preference for paralegals recently due to the complexity of mineral titles. Inspectors have 20+ years in the industry as welders so unless you are a lot older than you sound, those positions are out as well.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:16 PM

746 posts, read 1,729,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blackbag View Post
Also, most posts I've read seem to favor the Williston area instead of Minot for the most job prospects. I'd be happy to head there and start knocking on doors but want to make sure I'm looking in the right area.

In case background is important... No CDL but I'd definitely be willing to drive. Very stable work history and no drugs/alcohol, no personal drama whatsoever. I made it through Organic Chem II/Calc II/Physics II in college while working full-time, so figure I can learn anything short of Engineering. Have very good service/people skills.

Any input/thoughts you might have would be wonderful. Thank you very much!
There are technician-type positions which demand a combination of physical ability as well as a decent and common sense knowledge of science and math.

Examples might include natural gas plant operator (a number of gas plants are being built), fracking crew hand (highly technical), mudder (technical again), a field hand for multiple different types of oil service companies. These type positions normally want a couple years of college - especially math and science - but a degree isn't absolutely necessary.

The demand for fracking crew personnel is especially high.

Go to a oil services website like Halliburton, Schlumberger, or any number of other oil service companies and look for positions under operations / field support / support services and beginning level. Halliburton had more than 20 positions just in Williston that were described as entry level and didn't need a degree (but required education beyond HS). Look at the ND job services site, as well as at the pipeline companies in ND that need natural gas treatment / pipeline operators. Larger companies like Halliburton and Schlumberger are big into training, but would likely test you both physically and mentally before hiring.

The oil service support crews work extremely long hours (but are paid very very well), while the pipeline / natural gas processing generally are more permanent positions with decent but not extraordinary pay.

Also, keep in mind that there are portions of Pennsylvania and W Va that are experiencing significant hiring due to natural gas drilling there. Those locations might be closer to family and offer better housing options.

Old 07-29-2011, 09:06 PM

2 posts, read 56,480 times
@flyingcat2k:
Makes sense that a lot of of positions would require special training. Good to know that drilling could be a good way for a guy to get his foot in the door. Everyone's got to start somewhere. Thanks for your reply!

@fourwinds:
Thanks so much for the detailed response! The info about technical-oriented jobs, high-demand jobs, and oil services companies is wonderful. I imagine companies like Halliburton and Schlumberger offer a lot of stability (depending on the specific job you're in), decent benefits, and a good opportunities for ongoing training and advancement. You're right--the PA/WV area is SO much closer to home. Around 6 hours as opposed to 19! And if family came out east to visit on my days off, there would be a lot more to see and do together than in western ND. I really appreciate all the info!

Last edited by blackbag; 07-29-2011 at 09:32 PM..

Old 08-01-2011, 10:38 AM

979 posts, read 3,669,286 times
Check into even the "casing crews" like Noble Casing or American casing (as examples) College kids working for these places are making almost $25 per hour cleaning and racking up pipe both in the pipe yards, and at the rig locations. A lot of the time is driving time (you travel as a crew). You get a lot of hours, but are on call a lot. I know of some kids who are taking in $4,000 to $5,000 a month...not bad for a summer job. I am guessing if they stuck around, they could move on to some of the other jobs offered at those companies. You sometimes have to start at the bottom...prove yourself...and then move up to the better positions. But again...housing is an issue.

Old 08-11-2014, 10:13 AM

1 posts, read 11,286 times
and remember this, the skills you acquire in ND, can lead you to jobs all over the world, if you are willing to live like a gypsy.

Old 08-20-2014, 07:37 PM

5 posts, read 17,986 times
Last year I made 125k in the oilfield as an electrician on the northern side of the border. I'm not sure how well electricians in the states get paid, but it's been a career path thats paid off in spades for me.

Old 08-21-2014, 07:41 AM

142 posts, read 417,410 times
I know a young man out here that started as a Roustabout 2 years ago and was recently promoted to pusher. He works 20 on/10 off, gets free housing and meal allowance, $125 per diem and a flight package (they pay his airfare in and out of here when he's on his 10 days off). He is expecting to make $140/year. Not bad for a 23 year old!!!

Old 08-24-2014, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 10,827 times
I am so happy to see the diplomacy and proper way of communication among all of you. That's what I think this internet system was intended to. Thank you all for all that good info. Keep it up !!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota