Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2017, 12:12 AM

122 posts, read 131,370 times

Advertisements

I am wondering, can I just show up in a North Dakota city,with some money, and expect to obtain employment with the objective of working in an industry maybe construction (not much blue collar experience but have the stamina). Computer skills and EE skills are good, but rather dated. I know the unemployment rate is low, but the market is fairly small with a 500,000 or so population of N.D.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2017, 06:40 PM

576 posts, read 831,416 times
You've painted your question with a pretty broad brush, so I will answer the same way... In general, probably. The job market has slowed a little there, but there are still lots of jobs that go unfilled. Construction has slowed as well, so there may not be anything immediately available, but if you are willing to work in another field for a while, maybe something will eventually open up for you.

You also did not state where in ND you are interested in moving to. That makes a big difference. Fargo and Bismarck are still booming. Western ND in general has slowed, but still more active than the eastern half. Start searching the job sites to get a feel for what is available where.

Are you familiar and prepared for the weather in ND? A lot of people underestimate it and end up leaving after the first winter.

Old 03-30-2017, 10:00 PM

I lived through a Minnesota winter with regular 40 below lows and 0 degree highs for a whole month.
I thought western ND would start gearing up again, but Permian Basin seems to be experiencing the oil boom this time. With a world wide oil glut that does not seem to have an end in sight, the increase in oil production in the US will probably not help prices in the long run, so perhaps a short term boom might happen in the US and would be nice to cash in on that. Bismarck seems to be the logical choice. I get the impression that the ND economy is diverse. Oil production is just part of it, agriculture too, and some engineering and electronics to support both--is what I'm thinking. The rest of the country seems to be awash in mcjobs, which is not what I am looking for in the long run. PLC and embedded systems programming is my long term goal as I used to do that many moons ago. Engineering oriented computer jobs basically. Thank you for taking the time, Dewey.

Old 03-31-2017, 05:05 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,943,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by etek View Post
I am wondering, can I just show up in a North Dakota city,with some money, and expect to obtain employment with the objective of working in an industry maybe construction (not much blue collar experience but have the stamina). Computer skills and EE skills are good, but rather dated. I know the unemployment rate is low, but the market is fairly small with a 500,000 or so population of N.D.
Showing up anywhere with no job is a pretty dumb idea. Get the job before relocating, no matter where that might be.

Old 03-31-2017, 10:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Showing up anywhere with no job is a pretty dumb idea. Get the job before relocating, no matter where that might be.
Would that attitude hold for blue collar jobs though? ND is pretty far, and being able to show up means you are more than just talk.

Old 03-31-2017, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Would that attitude hold for blue collar jobs though? ND is pretty far, and being able to show up means you are more than just talk.
That's any job. You don't relocate without a source of income lined up. Period.

Old 04-02-2017, 09:07 PM

Quote:
I think you maybe forced to if the job offerings are dismal in your current location.

Old 04-03-2017, 11:31 AM

153 posts, read 130,272 times
Quote:
Well then very few people would ever relocate. In my experience it can be very difficult to get potential employers to even look at a resume from out of state, much less consider one. And temp agencies tell you to look them up once you have moved and gotten settled in the new city. As long as you have enough money saved up to live comfortably in the new city for 6 months to a year, I see no problem in relocating without having a job lined up. I've done it before and I plan to do it again in the near future. It took me a year and a half to find my career job in my new city (I was recently out of college so didn't have a lot of prior experience), but in that time I was able to work a few temp jobs to earn money and gain experience in my chosen field.

Old 04-03-2017, 02:51 PM

23,766 posts, read 29,058,499 times
Quote:
I lived through a Minnesota winter with regular 40 below lows and 0 degree highs for a whole month.
I thought western ND would start gearing up again, but Permian Basin seems to be experiencing the oil boom this time. With a world wide oil glut that does not seem to have an end in sight, the increase in oil production in the US will probably not help prices in the long run, so perhaps a short term boom might happen in the US and would be nice to cash in on that. Bismarck seems to be the logical choice. I get the impression that the ND economy is diverse. Oil production is just part of it, agriculture too, and some engineering and electronics to support both--is what I'm thinking. The rest of the country seems to be awash in mcjobs, which is not what I am looking for in the long run. PLC and embedded systems programming is my long term goal as I used to do that many moons ago. Engineering oriented computer jobs basically. Thank you for taking the time, Dewey.

Old 04-04-2017, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
Well then very few people would ever relocate. In my experience it can be very difficult to get potential employers to even look at a resume from out of state, much less consider one. And temp agencies tell you to look them up once you have moved and gotten settled in the new city. As long as you have enough money saved up to live comfortably in the new city for 6 months to a year, I see no problem in relocating without having a job lined up. I've done it before and I plan to do it again in the near future. It took me a year and a half to find my career job in my new city (I was recently out of college so didn't have a lot of prior experience), but in that time I was able to work a few temp jobs to earn money and gain experience in my chosen field.
I've never relocated without a job. I never had that kind of money. I've lived in three states and so clearly that mentality of an out of state resume being overlooked is bull. And I did this with no connections. So yeah, I'm not buying that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota