Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-23-2017, 10:16 AM

1 posts, read 2,968 times

Advertisements

Hi

I am a young mid-thirties West African American who moved to North Dakota 4 years ago due to a government contracting firm who recruited me from another State. The blessings i had for getting employed in the position that i did was my company was in Virginia, thus i did not do that many face to face interview , only skype and extensive background check for my clearance. Fast forward 2016,

my company downsized and i decided to seeking alternative employment on my own in North Dakota, My oh My, the employment landscape here is treacherous. In my previous State, my resume always got me calls, and i was always successful with face to face interviews. Likewise, here in North Dakota, i get calls for my resume and even successfully complete the phone screening, but i have never gotten positive result when i do face to face interviews out here. This has been happening now for 16 months straight. Most of the professional jobs here are reserved for a select few, and North Dakotans are not too keen in allowing outsiders into position they deem important. My husband and I have now come to the conclusion, we have to change States, as North Dakota is not a place for black professionals who are not in CNAs, Group homes, Nursing and the Like. By the way, i have JD and 9 years experience in compliance and program management.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about moving out here, and have the same concerns, please think long and hard before coming here.. this place is not for everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-23-2017, 02:17 PM

1,956 posts, read 1,520,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chienpoo1 View Post
Hi

I am a young mid-thirties West African American who moved to North Dakota 4 years ago due to a government contracting firm who recruited me from another State. The blessings i had for getting employed in the position that i did was my company was in Virginia, thus i did not do that many face to face interview , only skype and extensive background check for my clearance. Fast forward 2016,

my company downsized and i decided to seeking alternative employment on my own in North Dakota, My oh My, the employment landscape here is treacherous. In my previous State, my resume always got me calls, and i was always successful with face to face interviews. Likewise, here in North Dakota, i get calls for my resume and even successfully complete the phone screening, but i have never gotten positive result when i do face to face interviews out here. This has been happening now for 16 months straight. Most of the professional jobs here are reserved for a select few, and North Dakotans are not too keen in allowing outsiders into position they deem important. My husband and I have now come to the conclusion, we have to change States, as North Dakota is not a place for black professionals who are not in CNAs, Group homes, Nursing and the Like. By the way, i have JD and 9 years experience in compliance and program management.

My advice to anyone who is thinking about moving out here, and have the same concerns, please think long and hard before coming here.. this place is not for everyone.
With nine- years plus experience as an attorney, and myriad experience in compliance program and management, you are over qualified for North Dakota's thinking process. In the USA, you need to go to states that will welcome you, like: New York City, New Jersey and Washington, DC. The best of luck....to you and yours....

Old 11-24-2017, 03:46 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
By the way, i have JD and 9 years experience in compliance and program management.
The employment market for JDs in this country is awful because the law schools have pumped out 4 or 5 times as many lawyers as can be comfortably employed for several decades. Maybe your luck with finding JD-related employment has just run out. North Dakota doesn't strike me as the best state for finding a compliance related job, anyway.

Old 11-24-2017, 08:51 AM

4,236 posts, read 8,143,927 times
This will be a one post wonder. She claims to have a JD, but doesn't say if she has a license to practice law in the state.

Old 11-24-2017, 09:15 AM

576 posts, read 831,592 times
If she has a JD, the school that issued it to her should have their accreditation revoked based on her spelling and grammar! No wonder she can't find a job.

But I do agree that ND is about the last state I would be looking for a job in those fields.

Old 11-24-2017, 10:30 AM

17,916 posts, read 24,361,392 times
Quote:
My husband and I have now come to the conclusion, we have to change States, as North Dakota is not a place for black professionals who are not in CNAs, Group homes, Nursing and the Like. By the way, i have JD and 9 years experience in compliance and program management.
By this sentence I might infer that ND might be a place for white professionals, but not black. Apart from the fact that you have not landed a job, what is your evidence for such a grave and controversial claim?

Old 11-24-2017, 09:10 PM

1,303 posts, read 1,815,547 times
I also have a JD, but when I was in North Dakota last year, I had no trouble finding work. There is plenty of good paying work if you are willing to get cold and dirty. No one is going to hand you a cushy desk job just for having a JD or being black. ND isn’t DC.

Old 11-29-2017, 12:59 AM

3,120 posts, read 8,065,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ny789987 View Post
I also have a JD, but when I was in North Dakota last year, I had no trouble finding work. There is plenty of good paying work if you are willing to get cold and dirty. No one is going to hand you a cushy desk job just for having a JD or being black. ND isn’t DC.
What kind of work did you find? Lawyer work or work that doesn't require having a JD or even a college education? What do you think the market would be like for an inexperienced JD that wanted to open a solo practice? I'm guessing Fargo and Grand Forks would be glutted with UND and the Minnesota law schools' graduates.

Old 11-29-2017, 05:18 AM

10,349 posts, read 13,947,673 times
Quote:
Hi

The black professionals line instantly gets rid of your credibility here. I don't think most people here care about that.

Old 11-29-2017, 07:06 AM

576 posts, read 831,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fargobound View Post
This will be a one post wonder.
Yep. AKA a dive bomber. She hasn't logged back in since her post. She vented, then left. Well, hopefully, she feels better now!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > North Dakota