Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2010, 05:25 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trucker7 View Post
I'm pretty sure that my 4 cyl. pickup truck gets better MPG at 70 than your SUV at 55. In the interest of lowering fuel prices, shall we ban SUV's, full size pickup trucks, driving with the A/C on, warming your engine on a cold day, etc.? BTW, if you're doing 60 in a 55 zone, YOU ARE ALREADY BREAKING THE LAW!!!! Hand over your license.
Also, people complained about fuel prices only when Bush was President.

So you have to do EXACTLY 55 or you'll get pulled over by a cop? Really?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2010, 05:32 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyerNation View Post
People ***** about fuel prices and yet they lead foot 70+ MPH. Screw them. I set the cruise control whenever I can and do 60 in a 55 zone and 65 in a 65 zone. It saves gas and lessens wear and tear on the vehicle. I don't care if you're in a hurry. People who are going 70 in a 55 should not only be fined severely, but should have their license suspended indefinitely.
I use the cruise also, when I can. Like you said, if it's 55 I go 60. If it's 65, I go 70. I never exceed that.

Old 08-05-2010, 05:49 AM

272 posts, read 1,002,745 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katerina6257 View Post
Because the same traffic engineers that just made Rt 115 two lanes (used to be 4) with a 45mph speed limit (used to be 50) made I-81 55 mph. They think they're going to decrease accidents. They need to sit on the side of these roads for a few days and see what impatient idiots are doing because of their ignorance of human nature.
See what happens this winter with snow ice and fog,they made 115 a big mess.

Old 08-05-2010, 06:03 AM

177 posts, read 466,708 times
And, if we all kept the posted speed limit and drove with our brains engaged, there would be a lot fewer accidents. If you need the exhilaration of speed, go to a race track. If you need to speed because you will be late, leave a little earlier. If you just plain need to speed, tailgate, cut in and out and pass on the right, go work your aggression and anger out another way. If you think you are immortal. take a closer look the next time you pass a fatal accident. You can blame PennDot, you can blame the road conditions, you can justify speeding any way you want, but the bottom line that causes accidents and kills is speed and not using your brain.

Old 08-05-2010, 08:51 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
At 56 you're already breaking the law, even if it is unlikely that you'll get a ticket at that speed.

The safest speed to drive is the speed that everyone else is driving. That keeps the traffic moving smoothly. And the flow of traffic is always above 55 on I-81 in good weather. Now, let's say that the flow is going at 70 and someone ahead is doing 55. Now suddenly, the car behind it has to slow down, and the car behind that one has to also slow down and the car behind that one decides to switch lanes, etc.... That car doing 55 disrupted the flow of traffic and created several situations that could lead to an accident. Can I be mad at the driver doing 55? No, he is doing that the law requires. I get mad at PennDOT for creating that situation by posting speed limits that don't reflect actual driving conditions.

To say that this is a congested area and such needs a lower speed limit is wrong too. Traffic self-regulates according to traffic conditions. Raising the speed limit to 70 won't cause cars to travel at 70 if there is a traffic jam. You can only go as fast as the car in front of you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
So you have to do EXACTLY 55 or you'll get pulled over by a cop? Really?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
And, if we all kept the posted speed limit and drove with our brains engaged, there would be a lot fewer accidents. If you need the exhilaration of speed, go to a race track. If you need to speed because you will be late, leave a little earlier. If you just plain need to speed, tailgate, cut in and out and pass on the right, go work your aggression and anger out another way. <SNIP> You can blame PennDot, you can blame the road conditions, you can justify speeding any way you want, but the bottom line that causes accidents and kills is speed and not using your brain.
Please, read my post above. And yes, at 56 you can get a ticket, although it is unlikely (got ticket for going 1mph over the speed limit?). I was just pointing FlyerNation argument that if you break the law for going 70 you should lose your license, but it is OK to break the law at 60.

I don't need to feel the exhilaration of speed. I just want to get home safe and sound. The safest speed is that of the flow of traffic which is often 70 MPH or more on I-81. I've been driving like that for more than 15 years with ZERO accidents. And I've managed to blend pretty good with the rest of the traffic since I haven't gotten a ticket either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JamMan View Post
If you think you are immortal. take a closer look the next time you pass a fatal accident.
I was a Paramedic for 7 years. I've seen it real close. You shouldn't be taking a closer look while driving. You could cause an accident.

Interstate 380 crash victims identified as Bucks County pair - The Times-Tribune

Quote:
According to police, the tractor-trailer was traveling behind the SUV, which tailed the Chevrolet in the right lane. The drivers in the SUV and Chevrolet applied their brakes after spotting the southbound crash. The tractor-trailer driver was unable to stop and crashed into the SUV, causing it to hit the Chevrolet. The Chevrolet ended up on the median, while the SUV and tractor-trailer continued to travel north and then down an embankment, where the SUV struck a tree. Both occupants in the SUV were killed.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:28 AM

28,164 posts, read 25,289,646 times
I think there is a hugggeeee difference between going 58 in a 55 and going 70 in a 55. It's not the same thing.

Old 08-05-2010, 09:53 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,815,234 times
Quote:

I was a Paramedic for 7 years. I've seen it real close. You shouldn't be taking a closer look while driving. You could cause an accident.

I agree...one of the most dangerous things on the road is RUBBERNECKERS. Why everyone has to hit their brakes and gawk every time they see an accident, a construction zone, or even someone on the side of the road broken down is beyond me.

Old 08-05-2010, 10:09 AM

1,384 posts, read 3,175,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magritte25 View Post
I think there is a hugggeeee difference between going 58 in a 55 and going 70 in a 55. It's not the same thing.
Who decided to make it 55? The road is perfectly capable of handling 65-70 MPH traffic. Would you agree to raise the speed limit to 65 and double the fines for speeding?

Old 08-05-2010, 10:26 AM

18,780 posts, read 18,121,941 times
Some of the western states have 75 MPH speed limits. You get used to traveling at 80 and 85. On I 40, around Albuquerque, it is illegal to pass if you are not doing 65 MPH. They have lots of traffic during their rush hours. You get used to driving the faster speed.
I drove trucks out there that were governed to anywhere between 58 to 62 MPH. I was always aware that I could get rear ended at any time. I could not legally pass around Albuquerque. There were many times that I put on my four ways or pumped the brakes to warn other motorist of my slower speed. It also makes for a boring ride (when you are not worried about being rear ended).
Speed is relative. We are all moving at a thousand MPH as our globe turns. If we could instantly stop the globe; we would all get off!

Last edited by fisheye; 08-05-2010 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: forgot an s

Old 08-05-2010, 11:01 AM

3,236 posts, read 6,656,403 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I agree...one of the most dangerous things on the road is RUBBERNECKERS. Why everyone has to hit their brakes and gawk every time they see an accident, a construction zone, or even someone on the side of the road broken down is beyond me.
I agree, that just causes more accidents, as evidenced on I-380. I think that a safe speed on highways with a lot of traffic is 55, like the corridor between Scranton and WB. I-84 is 65 and it should be, it's more rural with less traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania