Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-31-2010, 10:54 AM

1,973 posts, read 5,274,029 times

Advertisements

Well as a luzerne county resident, I would be happy recouping our original one million dollar investment, and walking away a little wiser. I know Lackawanna county claims that Luzerne county never payed for repairs or anything else...i wonder what each county was liable for or agreed to in the original agreement signed in '86. Was Luzerne County liable to pay for repairs in the original agreement? Are they now entitled to half the proceeds of a sale all these years later? I think it was a bad idea for Luzerne County to get involved in this from the get go. This was clearly a Lackawanna County team, in a Lackawanna County stadium, in Lackawanna county, which benefits Lackawanna County tourism from the start. Luzerne County has seen very few benefits from this franchise, so why would we pay for repairs ect? If I was the arbitrator, I would simply give Luzerne county back thier original one million dollar investment, and tell them to get lost. then Luzerne County should divorce itself from the team and all the woes that go along with it...this is why regionalization never works. It should be The Scranton Yankees and The Wilkes-barre Penguins, or, like Lehigh Valley has done just name it after the valley. What are your thoughts? If all these issues were hammered out in the begining, I don't think there would be a lawsuit today. I feel Luzerne County was "used" in the begining simply because Lackawanna County didn't have all the funding it needed to purchase the team on it's own, what seemed like a good idea at the time, has turned in an ugly feud. We had no buisness even getting involved in this blatanty Lackawanna County entity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-31-2010, 11:04 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
I want to know where Luzerne county has been all these years while Lackawanna County taxpayers have been footing the bill for the stadium and team since 1989? When there's a possible profit to be had, they have their hands out, but you didn't see them being "partners" when it was just a sea of red ink. I think Luzerne County needs to stay out of the stadium issue.

Old 08-31-2010, 12:13 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,096,437 times
Personally its all a HUGE waste of taxpayer monies and has been from the beginning. This are can barely support itself enevrmind a baseball stadium and team....Tear it down and be gone with this crap.

Maybe we could get a 2 for 1 deal with a demo company. The mall and the stadium....

Old 08-31-2010, 01:09 PM

7,931 posts, read 15,819,046 times
Maybe we can use Lackawanna County Stadium to lure the Little League World Series away from Williamsport? It would be better baseball and would actually pump a lot of money into the economy.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by go phillies View Post
I want to know where Luzerne county has been all these years while Lackawanna County taxpayers have been footing the bill for the stadium and team since 1989? When there's a possible profit to be had, they have their hands out, but you didn't see them being "partners" when it was just a sea of red ink. I think Luzerne County needs to stay out of the stadium issue.
Yeah, but why would we pay for repairs when there is absolutely no incentive for Luzerne County to do so? What do we get in return for paying for repairs? I want to know what the origginal contract stated. Was Luzerne county suppost to share in the expenses of maintaning the stadium? What were we intitled too in return? I believe Lackawanna county needed Luzerne County's money, and then wanted us out of the picture ASAP. "thanks for the money, now go away". I think the original million dollars would be adequate, or whatever one million dollars would be worth today. Why Luzerne county would fund a explicitly Lackawanna County venue is beyond me, but I am glad we haven't be dumping repair money into that money pit up there. We don't expect Lackawanna County to help repair our Arena when it needs upgrading. What benefit would Lackawanna County get out of that? Well it's the same thing IMO.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:17 PM

3,236 posts, read 6,657,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
Personally its all a HUGE waste of taxpayer monies and has been from the beginning. This are can barely support itself enevrmind a baseball stadium and team....Tear it down and be gone with this crap.

Maybe we could get a 2 for 1 deal with a demo company. The mall and the stadium....
I agree. They're both non-profitable and should go.

Old 08-31-2010, 02:25 PM

Government has absolutely no buisness funding "for profit" sports francises. Especially the wealthiest sports francises on planet Earth. Let the Yankees and Mandalay pick up the tab for this train wreck.

Old 08-31-2010, 04:55 PM

159 posts, read 318,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by weluvpa View Post
You complain there is nothing in our area to do, but you want to get rid of even more things to do?

Old 08-31-2010, 08:12 PM

996 posts, read 1,056,751 times
The stadium should not be supported by 1 cent of taxpayer money. As posted earlier, let the yankees build their own facilities with their own money, or they could float a corporate bond and let the rabid sports fans support it.

The majority of residents do not visit the stadium and derive no benefit from it whatsoever.

Old 09-01-2010, 08:32 AM

1,294 posts, read 3,253,803 times
Maybe if they rebranded as the Red Barons perceptions would change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania