Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2016, 12:53 PM

11 posts, read 8,125 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I got a job offer that requires relocating me from AK to PA this Spring. I know this is a big move. My employer will be assigning me in one of their clients in Clarks Summit, PA. Any suggestions where to get an apartment nearby or within Scranton, PA?

Some of my requirements I am looking into:

Safe neighborhood
Rent: max around $1000/month for 1 bed/1 bath
Washer/Dryer in unit
High-speed internet availability
Parking

I don't mind driving half an hour or an hour to get to work, as long as its safe to live in. I am Asian and this is my first to move out of Alaska, any good suggestion is appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2016, 01:29 PM

58 posts, read 135,065 times
There are some nice threads in NEPA Section of Pennsylvania forum that you might find interesting. There are also some specific topics on Scranon itself - e.g. Scranton ? ?

From my personal experience for $1000 you can rent something really decent in Scranton area, definitely bigger than 1BR. Also, from the same experience, you will probably have hard time finding a place with W/D in unit already supplied - I can't recall exactly, but I think out of a dozen places I looked at, there were only 1 or 2 with washer/dryer there - most of the places just had hook-ups and you were supposed to bring/buy your own W/D.

I think Clarks Summit area is one of the best areas around by itself - if you plan on working there, I see no big reason not to live somewhere nearby and not in Scranton city (especially if safety is a concern ).

Old 03-19-2016, 08:53 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,080,948 times
Clarks summit itself is nice area. For $1k a month you can rent a small home in this area, if you are going to be budgeting that kind of money you may want to consider purchasing. The housing prices here are low.

High speed internet will be available most places usually through the cable company which is predominantly Comcast. There lowest plan is something like 30/5.

Parking should not be an issue most places and generally speaking most of Luzerne County is going to be one of the safer places in the country. Scranton itself is really not that bad for city of that size. With your budget you won't be looking at anything in the small pockets that can be bad.

Old 03-19-2016, 11:15 AM

Thank you so much for the quick replies! I am checking out the links you provided mikka1. thecoalman, I will look into house rentals as well. A house might be a better option for me.

Thanks again.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:03 PM

5,303 posts, read 6,189,465 times
Are you planning to move your furniture and belongings to PA from Alaska or buy new or used? Most all decent apartments in the area come unfurnished. Also, many apartments, especially the newer ones require that the tenant pay all utilities charges including sewer and water.

I recommend Applewood Acres in Clarks Summit. This is an older but well maintained complex. It is rare that an apartment becomes available but give them a call to check. All utilities are paid but electricity and there are washer/dryer hook ups but the actual machines are not furnished. This is also standard with most apartments. Rents are within your price range.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:57 PM

Wells5, you are correct. I was looking on some of the available houses/apartments online, only few are available. Buying the needed furnitures might be a better option for me. Applewood Acres seems to have a unit available, I will give them a call. thanks.

Old 03-19-2016, 03:56 PM

58 posts, read 135,065 times
catnip123, I sent you a PM with some pictures from my last year search, maybe it'll be of some help for you to have some idea of what you can get in this area for around $1000. Good luck!

Old 03-19-2016, 04:56 PM

170 posts, read 311,836 times
I'm getting ready to move out of my apartment building. It is called the North Valley Lofts in Olyphant.

I'd recommend looking at a unit here. Olyphant is about a 15-20 minute drive to Clark Summit. The building is coming up on year 2 in a month or so. It is rather expensive for the area ($925/month), but there is a gym, a nice outside deck, good neighbors, stainless steel appliances, and granite counters.

Old 03-19-2016, 05:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikka1 View Post
catnip123, I sent you a PM with some pictures from my last year search, maybe it'll be of some help for you to have some idea of what you can get in this area for around $1000. Good luck!
thank you, mikka1. you're so helpful.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moosicman View Post
I'm getting ready to move out of my apartment building. It is called the North Valley Lofts in Olyphant.

I'd recommend looking at a unit here. Olyphant is about a 15-20 minute drive to Clark Summit. The building is coming up on year 2 in a month or so. It is rather expensive for the area ($925/month), but there is a gym, a nice outside deck, good neighbors, stainless steel appliances, and granite counters.
This looks good. I will add this on my list. It will be great if I can find a good one just by browsing the Internet. But, I am preparing myself to do house/apartment hunting when I arrive in PA. thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania