Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2007, 04:12 PM

5 posts, read 20,553 times

Advertisements

So I've read through many threads and there is so much information out here... We are looking at a potential relo from south-central Kansas due to a job change. My husband fell in love with the area when he was at sanofi (Swiftwater) for the interview and I fell in love with PA when visiting a friend who lives near Philly last year.

We will definitely rent for a while, but my big question is WHERE DO I START LOOKING? I've contacted a realtor, but of course, everything he sends is upscale and seems only located in or near Bethlehem. Although I don't want to be too far from the convenience of the cities (our daughter dances and we'll need to find her an adequate studio), we were both born and raised in rural areas, so we are not opposed to small town or even "middle of nowhere" living. (Our daughter may have to adjust since we live in a city now, but she's 8. She can.) Of course, my other concern is education.

Can someone - anyone - give me some direction? All we are waiting on from sanofi is an "internal shift" due to a retirement and we'll get the offer. The family is ready to load up and move, but don't know WHERE to move.

HELP!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2007, 07:07 AM

996 posts, read 3,278,008 times
Sanofi would be halfway between Tannersville and Mt. Pocono. I think any housing close by would be in Pocono Mountain School District, which does not seem to be highly recommended. I know of several people who live in Newfoundland (small, rural area, but essentials nearby) that work at Sanofi. It would be about a 30 minute drive. There is also a dance studio in nearby Hamlin that I wholeheartedly recommend if you end up anywhere nearby (my girls have been dancing there for 12 years and love it!). School district here is Wallenpaupack Area (my sons go to the local K-6 elementary school and are ages 7 and 8). There is a local park where the soccer and baseball leagues play. There is a mix of homes "in the middle of nowhere" and homes located in full-service communities.

You would probably want to try to come for a weekend and drive around and see what area you like. There are many other options, but other than visiting the Crossings to shop once in a while, I'm not really familiar with the area closer at Sanofi as far as housing and other services. There is a development you may want to avoid called a Pocono Country Place. There is a post on this board regarding that.

Old 06-08-2007, 08:19 AM

422 posts, read 2,005,183 times
Hello, I know many people that work at Sanofi, I live in the Pocono Mountain S.d. I agree, don't live in Pocono country Place. there are many nice areas in PMSD and the but the district is getting over crowded. I would look in Moscow or north along 380, this way the commute won't be that long.

check out the map

http://www.poconoliving.net/inc/img/map.gif (broken link)

Old 06-08-2007, 09:10 AM

Is living south of sanofi just crazy? My best friend lives in an eastern Philly suburb and I'd like to be within a reasonable distance of their family, too. That's where we'll be having our family gatherings, etc.

Old 06-08-2007, 09:27 AM

9,576 posts, read 7,325,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13STLCards View Post
Is living south of sanofi just crazy? My best friend lives in an eastern Philly suburb and I'd like to be within a reasonable distance of their family, too. That's where we'll be having our family gatherings, etc.
Maybe you should try the Lehigh Valley area, like Bethlehem. It's probably a half hour to get from there to SP. Plus the Lehigh Valley would be closer to Philly and your friend. I think some one told me that besides living in the general area of the plant (Mt. Pocono/Swiftwater/Tannersville/Stroudsburg), most employees live in the Scranton/Wilkes-Barre area, the Lehigh Valley and in Jersey just across from the PA border along Interstate 80. Does your friend live in Jersey, because that's probably the only eastern Philly Suburb, or did you mean in the Bucks County area of PA, which would be more of a northern philly suburb.

Old 06-08-2007, 10:14 AM

32,616 posts, read 77,586,970 times
I'd still ultimately steer you towards the North Pocono/Moscow area, as the North Pocono School District comes highly-recommended and you'd be within 20-30 minutes of both Sanofi-Pasteur and Scranton.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:37 PM

Does your friend live in Jersey, because that's probably the only eastern Philly Suburb, or did you mean in the Bucks County area of PA, which would be more of a northern philly suburb.[/quote]

Bucks County area is where they live now, though they lived in NJ prior to that. When we both lived in MO, we lived about an hour and a half apart and that didn't stop us from getting together. But now we both have kids and want to establish an extended "family" with our two. Neither of us have much of an extended family.

Old 06-08-2007, 03:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
I'd still ultimately steer you towards the North Pocono/Moscow area, as the North Pocono School District comes highly-recommended and you'd be within 20-30 minutes of both Sanofi-Pasteur and Scranton.
So tell me more about this area...
What areas fall into the North Pocono School District?
Now I'm curious!

Old 06-08-2007, 05:41 PM

487 posts, read 1,374,632 times
Check in the towns that fall into the Wallenpaupack School District as well. This district has a very good reputation. I agree with Greentown. Nice pockets of homes and a very rural, small-town feel.....but not more than 30 minutes or so from all you could need in the way of shopping, etc.

Old 07-04-2007, 12:31 PM

1 posts, read 3,762 times
Default sanofi families

several sanofi families live in our new neighborhood in upper nazareth township (we're one of them!). We were steered in that direction because of the reputation of the school district & proximity to 33 (it takes my husband ~ 30-40min driving...but he's used to it, as he had 45+ when we lived in metro Washington DC area).
Didn't see upper naz mentioned, so I thought I would

good luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania