Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2011, 02:27 PM

49 posts, read 180,172 times

Advertisements

We are NYC natives and have lived in Tampa since 1994. My husband is retired police and we are stuck with the GHI insurance. There are not a lot of providers in FL. I developed a neuro condition last year, not thrilled with the care I am getting. I got to thinking maybe we should look outside NYC but where it would be relatively easy to go in for some dr. appointments,mthough I did see Stroudsburg has a number of providers.

I have three children under 18. The ten year old has Down Syndrome. I have no idea whar services are like in PA, or if there is a wait, social opportunities, etc. My condition actually got us off the wait list in FL after six years. We are very happy with our church and rec opps for him. Overall services in FL do stink, though.

I have never really acclimated to FL and am thinking long and hard about such a big move but I am that disgruntled with the medical care. At this rate I will never be able to return to work if/when I need to. I am 49, husband 62. He is a dog groomer.

We would need to rent a house. I need access to a gym. Also have to think if I can safely navigate curvy mountain roads bc of my condition (cervical dystonia) I have not been up there in years and don't remember how roads are. Is there any mass transit to NYC? Not looking to commute, just some appointments and to visit. We do have two large dogs, don't know if people would want to rent to us, lol. They are mastiffs, big bears but well, big. We live in a rural, non deed restricted area in FL but can easily access shopping. My husband hates subdivisions. I would be homeschooling one child, but would need to find a decent school for my son with special needs.

My mother lives in State College, my husbands other kids are in Brooklyn. Just need some input, we do want our 15 year old son to finish high school here.

Last edited by blitzpooch; 12-25-2011 at 02:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-26-2011, 07:18 AM

2,362 posts, read 5,141,443 times
Wow 34 folks looked at this thread And not one could even leave a comment .. Damn unfriendly's ..

I would say look near a hospital or care center that covers your insurance and look in that area ,, Allentown does not have that bad of a winter and EVERYTHING and its sister is there . As for your Dogs ,,, Big dogs too ... Thats a rough one ,, Good luck with your search and Happy New Year

Last edited by Riverside4ever; 12-26-2011 at 07:38 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 07:29 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverside4ever View Post
Wow 34 snobby folks looked at this thread And could not even leave a comment .. Damn unfriendly's ..

I would say look near a hospital or care center that covers your insurance and look in that area ,, Allentown does not have that bad of a winter and EVERYTHING and its sister is there . As for your Dogs ,,, Big dogs too ... Thats a rough one ,, Good luck with your search and Happy New Year
"scuse me? Snobby? Maybe just 43 people who didn't feel they could offer the help the OP needs so they left it up to your saintly self to chime in. I personally have no idea what GHI insurance is or why there are limited numbers of providers. You can call me snobby if it makes you happy, but I don't chime in just to hear myself talk.

So, in the spirit of the season, River, I forgive you for calling me snobby. Just don't do it again, 'kay?

To the OP - I hope you find what you're seeking. Sorry I can't help. Regards from an un-snobby CD poster.

Old 12-26-2011, 07:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
"scuse me? Snobby? Maybe just 43 people who didn't feel they could offer the help the OP needs so they left it up to your saintly self to chime in. I personally have no idea what GHI insurance is or why there are limited numbers of providers. You can call me snobby if it makes you happy, but I don't chime in just to hear myself talk.

So, in the spirit of the season, River, I forgive you for calling me snobby. Just don't do it again, 'kay?

To the OP - I hope you find what you're seeking. Sorry I can't help. Regards from an un-snobby CD poster.
Dont take it ""Personal "" If Your Not Your Not .. I removed the word ... And it was 34 not 43 ..

Happy Holidays ..

Old 12-26-2011, 08:26 AM

Wow, didn't mean to start a war here. Maybe I should stay in Florida I know my situation is complex. I posted about GHI thinking someone might be familiar with it. It is the insurance the police and firefighters have. NYC has the most providers and there are a good amount in PA. There aren't that many in Florida but that was't an issue until I got this. Now we have to drive 50 miles to a neuro that I don't like in Clearwater. In NY I would have much more choice.

I will just contact the Down Syndrome Association to ask about those particular questions if no one knows (a parent of a child with autism would probably know too.)

It really comes down to PA: access to better medical care for me, back to four seasons I desperately miss, closer to husband's family though we really don't know anybody else in PA. FL: The insurance we have is inadequate, we would have to short sell our house, my son is already getting services here (but they suck and keep getting cut) but he does have great recreational opps and a couple of fabulous Down Syndrome non profit groups that really help us. School is okay, about as good as I could haggle for.

Last edited by blitzpooch; 12-26-2011 at 08:37 AM..

Old 12-26-2011, 09:35 AM

5,301 posts, read 6,185,664 times
There are a large number of homes for sale and also many foreclosures in planned private communities in the Poconos. Check with local real estate agents about rentals. Big dogs may pose a problem, though. School districts are required by federal law to provide services to handicapped children. There is frequent bus service to NYC from Stroudsburg and a limited schedule from Milford. You'll find gyms in Stroudsburg, Hawley and other areas and schools open their facilities to residents. Good luck!

Old 12-26-2011, 09:40 AM

Well, I did some more research and have answered my question. While a move up there would be much better for my medical needs, and there is an active Down Syndrome community in the Poconos, there is a waiting list for medwaiver for my son of around 16,000+. We have it here after six years, and it would be insanity to leave it to go to another state to wind up back on another wait list.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:06 AM

21 posts, read 55,332 times
My employer just switched us over from GHI to Blue Cross Blue Shield.
I can say we did much better with GHI. I had no problem finding providers. They were a better secondary insurer to my wife's policy than BCBS currently is.

Old 12-26-2011, 10:13 AM

6,727 posts, read 9,956,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blitzpooch View Post
Wow, didn't mean to start a war here. Maybe I should stay in Florida I know my situation is complex. I posted about GHI thinking someone might be familiar with it. It is the insurance the police and firefighters have. NYC has the most providers and there are a good amount in PA. There aren't that many in Florida but that was't an issue until I got this. Now we have to drive 50 miles to a neuro that I don't like in Clearwater. In NY I would have much more choice.

I will just contact the Down Syndrome Association to ask about those particular questions if no one knows (a parent of a child with autism would probably know too.)

It really comes down to PA: access to better medical care for me, back to four seasons I desperately miss, closer to husband's family though we really don't know anybody else in PA. FL: The insurance we have is inadequate, we would have to short sell our house, my son is already getting services here (but they suck and keep getting cut) but he does have great recreational opps and a couple of fabulous Down Syndrome non profit groups that really help us. School is okay, about as good as I could haggle for.
Blitz, no war here. River is a good guy. I'm a good person, too. We don't fight - we discuss.

I think the lack of response may be partly because it's the holiday season and people may not be available to answer your questions.

As for navigating "curvy mountain roads", not all of our roads are mountainous. It all depends on where you live. My general area, (suburban) is pretty flat. I have all the shopping anyone could possibly want within a 10 - 15 minute ride. Mass transit is a bus into the city. I don't go there, so I don't know anything about schedules.

If you plan on your 15-year-old finishing high school in Fla., I'm assuming you'll be staying put for two or three more years. Much could change in that span of time.
I, personally, think health care in this area is excellent - I've recovered from open heart surgery and colon cancer surgery/chemo, all within minutes from my home. I formerly worked in the medical field and your particular insurance is not familiar to me. The only police/fire insurance I know about is Heart and Lung. Since medical care seems to be your primary concern, I suggest you research that area to determine if there would be providers who accept your insurance. Once you determine that, the rest would probably fall into place, since Pennsylvania offers such a variety of mountains and valleys and open spaces as well as closely populated.

I congratulate you on doing your due diligence before you jump into the move. Good Luck.

(How was that, River?)

Old 12-26-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theatergypsy View Post
Blitz, no war here. River is a good guy. I'm a good person, too. We don't fight - we discuss.

I think the lack of response may be partly because it's the holiday season and people may not be available to answer your questions.

As for navigating "curvy mountain roads", not all of our roads are mountainous. It all depends on where you live. My general area, (suburban) is pretty flat. I have all the shopping anyone could possibly want within a 10 - 15 minute ride. Mass transit is a bus into the city. I don't go there, so I don't know anything about schedules.

If you plan on your 15-year-old finishing high school in Fla., I'm assuming you'll be staying put for two or three more years. Much could change in that span of time.
I, personally, think health care in this area is excellent - I've recovered from open heart surgery and colon cancer surgery/chemo, all within minutes from my home. I formerly worked in the medical field and your particular insurance is not familiar to me. The only police/fire insurance I know about is Heart and Lung. Since medical care seems to be your primary concern, I suggest you research that area to determine if there would be providers who accept your insurance. Once you determine that, the rest would probably fall into place, since Pennsylvania offers such a variety of mountains and valleys and open spaces as well as closely populated.

I congratulate you on doing your due diligence before you jump into the move. Good Luck.

(How was that, River?)

LOL .. See My Post got the thread stirred up..

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania