Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 05:27 AM

10,232 posts, read 6,319,495 times

Advertisements

Hubs and I drove to Allentown yesterday (39 degrees in Tobyhanna) to go shopping; Omaha Steaks, Ross Stores, and Cabella's. Went to brunch at IHOP. None of those around here. Very crowded all over.

No SNOW anywhere to be found. The temp went up to 60 degrees. Took off my Winter coat and rolled up the sleeves on my flannel shirt. Are we back in Florida again????

On the way home when we hit 80 West, but flashing sign Warning Heavy Traffic in Vicinity of Outlet Mall. You mean like DEAD STOP? Got off and tried 611. Same thing, so took 715 North.

Once we hit Mt. Pocono Borough the landscape changed. Snow all over and the temp had gone down to 45 degrees! Back with the Winter Coat on.

Hubs and I started singing in the car that old song, "North to Alaska. Go North the RUSH is on".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2018, 07:48 AM

18,773 posts, read 18,140,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jo48 View Post
Hubs and I drove to Allentown yesterday (39 degrees in Tobyhanna) to go shopping; Omaha Steaks, Ross Stores, and Cabella's. Went to brunch at IHOP. None of those around here. Very crowded all over.

No SNOW anywhere to be found. The temp went up to 60 degrees. Took off my Winter coat and rolled up the sleeves on my flannel shirt. Are we back in Florida again????

On the way home when we hit 80 West, but flashing sign Warning Heavy Traffic in Vicinity of Outlet Mall. You mean like DEAD STOP? Got off and tried 611. Same thing, so took 715 North.

Once we hit Mt. Pocono Borough the landscape changed. Snow all over and the temp had gone down to 45 degrees! Back with the Winter Coat on.

Hubs and I started singing in the car that old song, "North to Alaska. Go North the RUSH is on".
That was a pretty extreme difference. Although there is usually some difference. What probably made the difference in temperature was that they lost their snow cover and you did not in Tobyhanna. The ground had a chance to warm up and ours is still frozen or snow covered. Most of my snow is gone now; but the ground was still frozen yesterday.

It's a good thing you like snow in Tobyhanna!

We used to travel down to the Lehigh Valley Mall (Cinnabon) and other goodies!

Old 11-26-2018, 10:29 AM

232 posts, read 278,549 times
I live in stroudsburg and work in tobyhanna weather is absolutely ridiculous there i dont see myself live around that area. Gonna be my 2 winter there and not sure if want be another one lol.

Old 11-26-2018, 10:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boney89 View Post
I live in stroudsburg and work in tobyhanna weather is absolutely ridiculous there i dont see myself live around that area. Gonna be my 2 winter there and not sure if want be another one lol.
I worked five nights in a row at CF where the FedEx terminal is located. Many of the day time temperatures never went above zero and most of the night time temperatures were down to -20 and one much colder. Plus we had no air bags to seal the trailers against the dock. I drove forklift most of those nights because the regular workers, that loved to drive forklift in warmer temperatures, were no where to be found. Fortunately we have not had temperatures like those for forty or fifty years - but it could still happen. It is better to always be prepared for the worst.

Years ago they, the politicians, talked about laws to heat the docks. I think all those politicians died! I would like to see one of them sit on a forklift at -20!

Old 11-26-2018, 03:54 PM

1,935 posts, read 3,144,310 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisheye View Post
I would like to see one of them sit on a forklift at -20!

Preferably with one of the lift blades up their you know what.....

Old 11-26-2018, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DavidWebb View Post
Preferably with one of the lift blades up their you know what.....
I always loved getting ready for work and listening into the TV weather people telling us to make sure to bring in our pet! They worried more about the pets than they did the humans that had to work in very cold conditions.

Old 11-27-2018, 08:56 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Quote:
I worked five nights in a row at CF where the FedEx terminal is located. Many of the day time temperatures never went above zero and most of the night time temperatures were down to -20 and one much colder. Plus we had no air bags to seal the trailers against the dock. I drove forklift most of those nights because the regular workers, that loved to drive forklift in warmer temperatures, were no where to be found. Fortunately we have not had temperatures like those for forty or fifty years - but it could still happen. It is better to always be prepared for the worst.

Years ago they, the politicians, talked about laws to heat the docks. I think all those politicians died! I would like to see one of them sit on a forklift at -20!

Last Wednesday/Thursday it had a real feel of -7 on that dock.

Last night it was a balmy 32.

Old 11-27-2018, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
Last Wednesday/Thursday it had a real feel of -7 on that dock.

Last night it was a balmy 32.
Well; did your breath freeze on your beard? Just kidding! That is the sign that the temperature reached '0'. It's pretty accurate (if you have a beard). The next milestone is the worse when it hits -15 and everything starts to just run + it hurts to breathe. Just imagine what it feels like walking into that dock with temperatures at -15 or colder and a stiff wind and blowing snow in your face. That is why I have been trying to prepare you for the worst. It always pays to have other clothing or protective gear to put on when it gets so cold. Frostburn can happen fast.

How was your -7 shift; any major problems?

Old 12-02-2018, 12:45 PM

5,047 posts, read 5,803,885 times
Quote:
Well; did your breath freeze on your beard? Just kidding! That is the sign that the temperature reached '0'. It's pretty accurate (if you have a beard). The next milestone is the worse when it hits -15 and everything starts to just run + it hurts to breathe. Just imagine what it feels like walking into that dock with temperatures at -15 or colder and a stiff wind and blowing snow in your face. That is why I have been trying to prepare you for the worst. It always pays to have other clothing or protective gear to put on when it gets so cold. Frostburn can happen fast.

How was your -7 shift; any major problems?
The shift was fine ; yes it was cold and I went thru three pairs of hand warmers, including all my layers. But it was fine. This week, the nights were warmer, although there was one night when it was bitter. But its why I get paid the big bucks eh?? I also bring extra layers on the forklift with me just in case. I am not walking back to the car during the cold.

The construction is starting. We have hard hats working on the dock piping most days now and they are also digging part of the yard to put pipes in.

Old 12-02-2018, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by okaydorothy View Post
The shift was fine ; yes it was cold and I went thru three pairs of hand warmers, including all my layers. But it was fine. This week, the nights were warmer, although there was one night when it was bitter. But its why I get paid the big bucks eh?? I also bring extra layers on the forklift with me just in case. I am not walking back to the car during the cold.

The construction is starting. We have hard hats working on the dock piping most days now and they are also digging part of the yard to put pipes in.
Thank you for the update on the construction!

I never liked the hand and toe warmers. If you have the right pair of gloves, liners, mittens or right socks, liners, and insulated steel toe work boots; you will not have to worry about hand warmers. That is coming from somebody that survived five nights on a forklift at -20. But it takes time to find just the right gear for the job. For super cold I liked the insulated boots with liners. The reason I did is because I would pull out my liners when I got home and place them on the radiator to dry for the next shift. But they are hard to find now and I have no reason to look anymore. For my hands I liked the lined leather work gloves and I had cotton or insulated liners to put on my hands first. I also had mittens and mitten liners. When it got really cold I would have my glove liners inside my mitten liners inside my mittens. But it will take you time to learn the perfect combination.

If you ever see a prediction for the -15 and colder you should also think of your face. I also had one of the pullovers that covered most of my skin.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania