Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-24-2008, 09:53 PM

1,429 posts, read 3,643,603 times

Advertisements

I saw a few weeks ago that the Electric City Trolley museum got 200k+ in an earmark package for NEPA. It was discussed during the commissioner's election that it was hoped to operate the trolley through the downtown, although I think this would prove much more costly than 200k would provide, and do you really want vintage trolleys in traffic with northeast drivers?

I've been wondering where they plan to extend track to, and I can't see them going any further on montage mt. The only extention I could think of that made sense would be if they could somehow run track to the 'new' section of Nay Aug, on the other side of the 'bridge to nowhere.' The could build a small platform and convert the area into a picnic grounds, much the same as hanlon's grove would have been at one time. The trolley line already runs in that direction, but crosses roaring brook to enter the crown ave. tunnel. I don't know what the maximum grade a trolley can handle would be, and the elevation change may be too much to overcome. The path might also interfere with train traffic on the old DL&W lines; I'm not sure of the logistics of the whole idea, which is why I'm throwing it out there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-24-2008, 10:01 PM

32,620 posts, read 77,647,109 times
They should run a line adjacent to Lower Green Ridge.

Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,101,492 times
I don't think the grade would be too much they used to run a trolley line up to Moosic Lakes when the amusement park was there. There is really no place to get the trolley to that area of Nay Aug once you cross roaoring brook by the Tunnels you are at the cliff face and they would have to blast and since the tunnels are rough cut I would think that it would not be sound to blast. The $200,000 sounds like the study money for the feasability of it. I don't think that downtown drivers would appreciate the historic value rather then the traffic hassle. I'll bet they extend the tracks up to the Shoppes at Montage and the cinemark and maybe the stadium. That area will be a better bet for the county to showcase rather then the downtown or Nay Aug. Thats their child up there and they have to help it grow.

Old 01-25-2008, 08:57 AM

414 posts, read 1,780,371 times
^^^Rocky Glen Park was created by the trolley company to attract ridership/ revenue during the slack summer months; ditto Sans Souci Park bet. Wilkes-Barre & Nanticoke and Hanson's park at Harvey's lake---served by train.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:00 AM

The tracks alreay lead to the stadium

Old 01-25-2008, 02:29 PM

188 posts, read 156,600 times
A line from Marywood to the U would probably be most popular. Students would have better access to the down town and beyond the downtown. The old turntable foundation can still be seen up at Moosic Lakes. Also, the old bed can still be seen. Does anyone know what the old route would have been from the City?

Old 01-25-2008, 05:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TERMINOLOGY View Post
A line from Marywood to the U would probably be most popular. Students would have better access to the down town and beyond the downtown.
I don't think they want to start bussing students around. Besides, the logistics are a mess; remember, they have to run electrical line for all of this, and they only have 2 operational cars, with the bigger one holding, what, fifty people? You do give me a good idea, though; I wonder if they could run it up linden st. and through the U, through nay aug, and right across the top of the DL&W tunnel?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:07 PM

4,083 posts, read 9,101,492 times
The route would have been around the mountain along 348. Sunset drive entrance into the lakes is the old bed and it ran along the lake from there. My parents house before they sold had the well that was used to fill the engines for the train that pulled the trolley cars up. It followed the gravity line up from the Holiday Inn in dunmore. They were not electric up to the lakes. Where is the turntable inside of Moosic lakes? I lived there for 25 years and if its what I think it is its on the mountain by the twin lakes that are the dumore reservoirs. Thats where the old tunnel is as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania