Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2007, 11:31 AM

253 posts, read 996,808 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I'd like to get some opinions about Big Bass Lake, as my husband and I are considering purchasing land there, to build in the next year and a half. We currently live in Essex County NJ, but I'm no stranger to the area. My parents grew up in Hamlin, and after raising their family in NJ, retired back there 20 years ago. So basically, I know the area very well. We're not concerned about school systems, or employment. Kids will be out of school, my husband is retired, and I can work from home, as long as I have internet. That being said, we're concerned about vacation renters: Does this community have a lot of permanent residents? I don't want to relocate and find we're in the midst of transient renters. Do they have activities that would allow us to meet other people? Also - does anyone know the restrictions and coventants? I'd like to know what their restrictions are.

And lastly, we don't like golf. (Sorry golfers!) We like being by water, having a pool, meeting people our own age (late 40's, early 50's), and tranquility. Are there any other communities in the area that someone might recommend?

Thanks in advance for your responses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2007, 12:03 PM

996 posts, read 3,278,440 times
Tanglewood Lake Estates and also Lake Wallenpaupack Estates are two in my area. They are about 15 minutes from Hamlin and only a few miles from
I-84. Tanglewood is big on golfing, but I think they also have other activities, pool and Lake Wallenpaupack is across the road. Lake Wallenpaupack Estates is near Ledgedale, which has a PPL campground and boat docking area. Don't know alot about it as far as rules and amenities, but my kids have been to a few birthday parties at the indoor pool and I thought it was really nice. While I'm sure both of these places have people who only use their places in the summer, I know many have kids in the local schools. I wouldn't be able to tell you anything about Big Bass Lake.

Old 01-25-2007, 05:14 PM

2,834 posts, read 10,764,805 times
I hope I don't insult anyone here, but Big Bass in my opinion is one of the less desireable communities in the Pocono's. There seems to be a lot of long term renters, not sure about vacation rentals. I do beleive they have a large turnover of renters. When The Hideout Swim Team used to swim against Big Bass, our kids nearly froze to death in their pool. It is located in a spot where it seems to be 10 degrees cooler than anywhere else also.
I live in The Hideout, another community in The Poconos. Their web-site is wwwdothideoutassocdotcom. Wallenpaupack Lake Estates is nice too but they allow the kids to ride around in 4 wheelers in packs and that is something I could never get used to. We do have a golf course and an excellent restaurant/pub, which WLE does not have. They do have an indoor pool though.
I am guessing that if your parents were raised in Hamlin, you might have heard of The Hideout. I'm also guessing that it might have been spoken of in a negative way, a lot of Hamlin/Lake Ariel folks just do not like The Hideout. Some have never been past the front gate. Check it out yourself before you eliminate it. They also have tons of different clubs and activities to meet people.

Old 01-26-2007, 07:33 AM

Thanks All so far. Yes, I'm familair with The Hideout, I remember when it was being built, it backs up to my uncle's property. My brother-in-law had a house there for many years, so we've spent a lot of time in there, but haven't been inside for some time since he sold the house. We just haven't considered it, since we're not golfers, and the fishing/lake aspect is more important to us. I do remember going to the lake inside the Hideout, but since BBL had more lakes to offer, it drew our interest. Thanks for the feedbak.

Old 02-09-2007, 05:08 AM

1 posts, read 13,019 times
Default big bass lake

As a Big Bass vacation home owner, I feel it important to clear up some issues here particularly for someone considering becoming part of the community. Big Bass does have a vacation rental market but is definitely not a long-term renters destination.
The community spirit and pride in the community is evident throughout everyone we meet here, it is incredibly friendly and involving - we constantly meet like-minded soles who are determined to keep Big Bass one of the more upscale developments in the area.
We are in our early fifties with teenage children and we all derive enormous pleasure from being here, from the well-maintained facilities to the social life for young and slightly older. There are many occasions to meet others. We have recently opened a new clubhouse and work is constantly under way to improve the sporting facilities (tennis, swimming and lakes). It is not golf obsessed, but there is also a healthy golfing group for a weekly game.
The lakes are a big bonus for our family - motors are banned (except for electric outboards to be used for fishing), leaving sailing and rowing, hence it is a peaceful existence. We prefer it that way - some of the other communities are just too noisy and in-your-face for us due to their size and the use of motorboats. Apart from the outdoor pool, the indoor pool is a big bonus in the winter.
We viewed and had the pick of many communities in the Poconos before picking Big Bass, and I am sure you are going through the same process. There are around 1000 lots and homes, about a third of those are lived in full time, to give you an indication of the size. In fact, when we retire, we hope to make our home there permanent.
If you chose Big Bass, you would not be in the middle of a transient group but a stable collection of energetic working or retired people out to have a good time. That's the way we've found it - hope that helps.
As for restrictions, there are of course some relating to building but that is viewed positively as a way of preserving the nature of the community and its appeal.

Old 02-09-2007, 01:42 PM

Big Bass Lake:

Thanks so much for your reply. We really liked the community, and we felt very comfortable with the tour we took. We liked what we saw, and we're hoping to make it our home. I've been asking the relatives in the area (there are many), and all had positives to say about it as well. I'm glad to hear that it's well kept, and you're right, that's a sign of people who care for their community. The demographics you spoke of would seem to fit our stage of life. Thanks again!!

Old 02-10-2007, 05:59 AM

116 posts, read 366,042 times
Hi,
I just bought a summer home within Wallenpaupack Lake Estates. A previous poster mentioned the kids riding around on 4X4's. I just wanted to clear up that riding those are not allowed anymore. It is a great community! Check out their website: www.wleonline.org

Old 02-10-2007, 09:21 PM

Trip:

Thanks for the info. I'd like to ask you why your purchased at WLE? What specifically attracted you to this particular community? Just trying to get some perspective as we look around.

Old 03-03-2007, 06:53 AM

13 posts, read 82,291 times
I have had a home in Big Bass for over 12 years and we have been very happy there. What started out as a summer property has led to us putting on an addition and planning to move here full time in the summer. My work allows me the flexibility to work from home...the community has high speed internet.

We are a simmilar age bracket to you and have watched our kids grow up here. The community is now about 35% Full timers and the number is expected to grow. We do have renters... but I would not let that influence my decision. The infrastucture is here for a well run cummunity that provides activities for all. Close to Phila..NJ..NY with all of the amenities you could want.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:11 AM

116 posts, read 366,042 times
Bagldot,
What first attracted us to WLE was that it is on Lake Wallenpaupack. Our family likes to boat/fish so we wanted to have a second home in a community that had convenient access to a huge lake. Second was the indoor pool. We wanted to visit year round. Most communities have an outdoor pool. WLE has two outdoor pools, and one indoor pool (as well as two beaches on two small lakes). We liked the programs they have for the kids and lastly, the water/sewage hookup was a plus (didn't want to deal with cess pools).
Since we purchased, the people are great! The area is beautiful and we are very happy.

-Trip
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania