Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2008, 09:24 AM

755 posts, read 2,334,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlsMom View Post
OK, I know that its the mountains and there is going to be bugs but this is crazy...For the last 2 days whenever I leave the house I get swarmed by gnats. It could be 10am, 2pm, 7pm - it doesn't matter. Yesterday I planned on checking out Shur-Way in Greeley but as I was loading the kiddies in the car we got attacked by gnats. I felt like I was in a sci-fi horror movie. After I got the kids in the car and myself I sat there and the whole car was surrounded by them. So I drove to the market and parked and was ready to get out when all of a sudden my car was getting swarmed by these damn gnats again! Did they freakin follow me? My little ones scream and cry when these pesty things fly around their heads so I didn't even go in the store. Before I left though I noticed other people around and they were not getting attacked. Hmmm.....OK....maybe its my car I thought. It does get pretty gross with 4 kids. I get home and call my hubby who thinks I'm crazy. So a few hours later he gets home and goes out to clean my car. He comes back in with that OMG look on his face. Yes, they swarmed him as well. Now I have been up here for almost a month and its only been the last 2 days that I cannot go out. I just feel bad I can't take my kids outside at all. I could live with this if it was during early evening or something but not all day. Help! Any suggestions? I bought bug spray and Cutter wipes to use today. I also placed an order through AVON for some Skin So Soft for the kids but if anyone has any advice please, please send it my way. Again, I know its the mountains and I can deal with bugs, spiders, etc BUT this is so not normal. Something is wrong.....

Yes they are bad here...I'm not far from the Shurway and it's the same here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2008, 02:11 PM

910 posts, read 2,992,889 times
ugh, we are having construction done on the front of our house, and digging up the dirt isnt helping matters, it's a bug fest! We buy yard spray, it's either Off! or Cutter's cant remember. You spray it in the yard and it keeps the bugs away for a few hours. Usually works pretty good, but I'm not sure with this amount of bugs how well it will do!

Old 04-23-2008, 03:27 PM

159 posts, read 693,204 times
Welcome to my hell- IT SUCKS! I can't even go for a walk without them swarming me. If I am walking and stop suddenly, I can feel a bunch of them hit my head- it is that bad. They also appear to bother some people more than others- unfortunately, I'm one of the ones they bother more. I can be standing next to someone and they are swarming me but leaving my friend alone. I don't know if it is my soap, shampoo, deodorant, what... It is miserable out there .

They also swarmed one of our vehicles- as you were sitting in it, you could just see a cloud of them! It is our "I refuse to drive my nice cars on these horrible roads, Pennsylvania beater", so it hasn't been washed since last fall. I washed it the other day and that seemed to help greatly- for the car at least, they still bother me though .

I don't recall this ever stopping last year, I thought it went all season- hopefully my memory is just wrong and it does stop soon. I can't deal with a long, miserable winter followed by a bug infested summer!

if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears!

Old 04-23-2008, 04:09 PM

13,321 posts, read 22,665,452 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveinbloom View Post
Yesterday, sitting on our front porch my son and I saw the biggest bumble bees I have ever seen. Keep in mind I lived in Texas where everything is supposedly BIG!I sat and watched them...I thought they were amazing! My son who has a wicked sense of humor said "...Mom they are freakin' me out man..."! I about peed my pants when he said that!
Just be sure to make sure they the " bumblebees" are not "carpenter bees" which do hang around and be a real pain..........plus do a ton of DAMAGE.
The carpenter bees are larger, and have a "buggier" eye.......but, look a big bunch like the regular bumble bee.
What happens is the male will fly around in your face, to annoy you and keep you from bothering the queen and the others.
Look for "round holes" and "sawdust" in the area. If you do have the carpenter bees you will need to treat for them. They will burrow into your wood, deep.......and they eventually do alot of damage, worse then a termite. It sometimes takes quite a few treatments to be rid of them.
And................I sure hope your right..........but, bumblebees usually don't stay and bother you, the carpenter bees do. ( google for pictures and information)

Old 04-23-2008, 10:15 PM

32,617 posts, read 77,614,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Just be sure to make sure they the " bumblebees" are not "carpenter bees" which do hang around and be a real pain..........plus do a ton of DAMAGE.
The carpenter bees are larger, and have a "buggier" eye.......but, look a big bunch like the regular bumble bee.
What happens is the male will fly around in your face, to annoy you and keep you from bothering the queen and the others.
Look for "round holes" and "sawdust" in the area. If you do have the carpenter bees you will need to treat for them. They will burrow into your wood, deep.......and they eventually do alot of damage, worse then a termite. It sometimes takes quite a few treatments to be rid of them.
And................I sure hope your right..........but, bumblebees usually don't stay and bother you, the carpenter bees do. ( google for pictures and information)
Wise words from a wise woman. I actually just helped a customer a few hours ago at work who was having a problem with carpenter bees, and he likewise described large round holes bored into the wood of his deck, sawdust nearby, etc. Those little things are basically harmless, but they can do some extravagant damage if left unchecked.

Old 04-24-2008, 02:27 AM

102 posts, read 325,988 times
Thanks for the replies. At least this is temporary. I was upset because I couldn't take the kids out. Hubby was worried because how was he going to drink his beer on the deck during the summer??

Old 04-24-2008, 04:01 AM

57 posts, read 123,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwiktsi View Post
Welcome to my hell- IT SUCKS! I can't even go for a walk without them swarming me. If I am walking and stop suddenly, I can feel a bunch of them hit my head- it is that bad. They also appear to bother some people more than others- unfortunately, I'm one of the ones they bother more. I can be standing next to someone and they are swarming me but leaving my friend alone. I don't know if it is my soap, shampoo, deodorant, what... It is miserable out there .

They also swarmed one of our vehicles- as you were sitting in it, you could just see a cloud of them! It is our "I refuse to drive my nice cars on these horrible roads, Pennsylvania beater", so it hasn't been washed since last fall. I washed it the other day and that seemed to help greatly- for the car at least, they still bother me though .

I don't recall this ever stopping last year, I thought it went all season- hopefully my memory is just wrong and it does stop soon. I can't deal with a long, miserable winter followed by a bug infested summer!

if anyone has any tips, I'm all ears!
Don't worry. Soon they will leave. Then the mosquitoes will come. When they go the snow will fly again. Welcome to NEPA.

Old 04-24-2008, 04:38 AM

2,760 posts, read 3,953,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post

Thanks for the info! When we do buy a home I will have to keep this in mind! I did have to show hubby when he came home from work to verify they were bumble bees...'ya know being a "city gal" (those from my former area will get the humor)...plus it is always good to make hubby feel needed!

My in-laws had those carpenter bees last year and it was a hoot for me watching father and son bicker about them and the best course of treatment! LOl

Old 04-24-2008, 06:12 AM

201 posts, read 538,982 times
I have problems with certain bugs all year round. Does anyone have problems with stink bugs? I am not sure of the technical name. I have been out 3 times aready in the past week getting the cat. nests out of all my fruit trees and burning them. I despise those little creatures. I already wrapped the trees in duct tape and put vaseline around them and have my soapy water ready. Wow, it is a chore to take care of my yard. It could become a full time job for me. LOL.

Old 04-24-2008, 06:36 AM

159 posts, read 693,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanb999 View Post
Don't worry. Soon they will leave. Then the mosquitoes will come. When they go the snow will fly again. Welcome to NEPA.
Hope they go soon... It doesn't help that most of the area, especially Conashaugh Lakes where I live is nothing more than a huge pile of unkempt, rotting organic matter . I swear, nobody has pride in their yards, let alone the community image around here. Fallen trees- leave them. Rotting leaves- leave them too, or just rake them aside. Mountain laurel (nothing more than tough weeds)- let it grow. Little by little I have been clearing out years and years worth of leaves and unkempt mountain laurel that the previous owners did nothing about. The amount of bugs that fly out of those piles is incredible.

However, Conashaugh thinks they can tell you how much you can and can't clear. BS- two of my dogs and myself have tested positive for Lyme Disease since we moved here- if they think I'm leaving this place a festering cesspool and compost, they are mistaken . I didn't buy a place with a little bit of land so I cannot go outside and enjoy it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania