Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-19-2024, 08:30 PM

1 posts, read 990 times

Advertisements

My family and I will be moving to Pennsylvania from Long Island. Looking for an area more in the northern part of the state that is suburban setting. We currently live in southwest nassau county on Long Island. Looking to get away from the urban sprawl and high taxes. Would like to buy a house no more than 275k. I work remotely from home, husband will be looking for a teaching job, our son will be at college in Luzerne County. Any suggestions for nice towns to look at would be welcome. So far we have looked at Forty Fort and Exeter. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2024, 06:51 AM

5,308 posts, read 6,213,269 times
If you absolutely must live in Luzerne County because a child goes to a college there, suggest the "back mountain" or mountaintop areas.

As to hubby's plans for teaching in the area, obtaining a tenure track teaching job in Luzerne County is very difficult except for special education. Also New York and PA do not have reciprocal teacher certification agreements. You will probably have to submit your college transcripts and scores from the Praxis exams or the PECT exams (I'm not sure what PA requires now). You can also substitute teach while waiting for your PA credential to come through.

Old 01-21-2024, 09:32 AM

30,643 posts, read 16,308,776 times
No disrespect but college is only 4 yrs or so. If your reason for moving is that your son will be in Luzerne County for 4 yrs you might want to rent.

Old 01-22-2024, 10:52 AM

18 posts, read 8,976 times
honestly the area around sunbury aint bad theres alot of houses that you can get cheap but if you have money you can get alot of land and put a pool in you can hunt not really fish the water is all messed up from coal theres some other towns too that are cheap like mount carmel and danville. shamokin has alot of houses for sale cheap and its going to make a big comeback in the downtown if you can start a business you can make alot of money there. the people are nice around here you just have to make sure you dont really go to bars because people that havent seen you think you might sleep with their girlfriend its kind of like high school but other than that its okay and theres some good places to shoot pool.

Old 02-17-2024, 06:31 PM

342 posts, read 321,079 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacstar View Post
My family and I will be moving to Pennsylvania from Long Island. Looking for an area more in the northern part of the state that is suburban setting. We currently live in southwest nassau county on Long Island. Looking to get away from the urban sprawl and high taxes. Would like to buy a house no more than 275k. I work remotely from home, husband will be looking for a teaching job, our son will be at college in Luzerne County. Any suggestions for nice towns to look at would be welcome. So far we have looked at Forty Fort and Exeter. Thanks!
Forty Fort is a nice town, so is Dallas and Kingston.

Old 04-08-2024, 12:01 AM

91 posts, read 25,856 times
Bloomsberg is a nice area as is Danville but that is going away from your sons College. I am not familiar with the towns near the college he had picked. These areas will have lower taxes. The people will be more country.

Old 05-06-2024, 12:16 PM

1,433 posts, read 735,950 times
Look into Mountain Top, or Dallas, or The Abingtons in Lackawanna County. I'm from Queens NY so I'm very familiar with Nassau, I still have family there.

Old 05-11-2024, 09:15 AM

8,000 posts, read 9,201,279 times
You are thinking of having husband giving up a tenured teaching position in NY to be near your adult kid while they go to college? If this indeed is the.scenario, it is a foolish move.

But the poster hasnt been back in 4 months so either cooler heads prevailed or it was a troll.

Old Today, 10:31 AM

2,478 posts, read 2,780,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacstar View Post
Word of advice re: teaching - there is no automatic reciprocity between licensure in NY and PA. Getting licensed in PA is arduous, even as a certified/licensed teacher elsewhere.

Old Today, 10:49 AM

15,160 posts, read 27,869,053 times
OP hasn't been back in at least 4 mos. - one-time poster.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania