Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania
 [Register]
Northeastern Pennsylvania Scranton, Wilkes-Barre, Pocono area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-05-2009, 10:59 PM

3 posts, read 12,266 times

Advertisements

Our family will be taking a much need and long awaited vacation this year after several years of non-stop working. We thought a nice lakefront property in the Poconos would be great so we started our search for the ideal house.
After finding a few, I realized the owners are very "shy" about saying where the homes are located in communities. After finding out locations, I started researching and found this forum where my worst fears were confirmed.
So...Poconos Country Place is a no-no (from what I've read). Where else is a nice and swimmable lake community that is safe? Pictures that these landlords have up sound so 'wonderful' and the community administration buildings have nice 'comforting' websites, but hearing about gangs and crime just blows me away.
It's been about 13 years since I've been to the poconos and now I'm worried that our quiet and fun vacation can be sharply derailed.
I've spent hours scouring this forum so I respect what you all have to say.
Thank you for your time and assistance with this.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2009, 12:40 AM

858 posts, read 3,043,854 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vacation Starved View Post
Our family will be taking a much need and long awaited vacation this year after several years of non-stop working. We thought a nice lakefront property in the Poconos would be great so we started our search for the ideal house.
Make sure you spend alot of time searching...

Quote:
After finding a few, I realized the owners are very "shy" about saying where the homes are located in communities. After finding out locations, I started researching and found this forum where my worst fears were confirmed.
Not all things you have read on this forum may be true. You need to go to the places yourself and see with your own eyes..
Quote:
So...Poconos Country Place is a no-no (from what I've read). Where else is a nice and swimmable lake community that is safe? Pictures that these landlords have up sound so 'wonderful' and the community administration buildings have nice 'comforting' websites, but hearing about gangs and crime just blows me away.
This is one thing however that it true. PCP, has came along way in the last 10 years. And not an any good way to say the least... You will come to learn and find out that PCP, has turned into a place for out of towners to rent there homes.. To anything or anyone with money to pay the rent.. Very few homes in PCP, are owned by a person living in there year around.

As more and more people from NY & NJ try to seek out the good life... Of having their cake and eating it to... You will find some homes in there stuffed with 10 to 15 people.. All throwing in a few bucks for the rent and heading back to the city for work.

Is that a bad thing?? NO.. its not, but for the ones that rent and have 10 kids and dont work..... Your new house might just get broken into.. As its a gated community and them little trouble makers have nothing to do or no where to go once them 30 school busses come rolling in around 4pm....

Take it from someone who had to deal with them everyday.... 1st,2nd,3rd shifts for PMRPD, are no joke!!

Quote:
It's been about 13 years since I've been to the poconos and now I'm worried that our quiet and fun vacation can be sharply derailed.
I've spent hours scouring this forum so I respect what you all have to say.
Thank you for your time and assistance with this.
I would look into The Hideout, from what I hear its a nice place to live.

Old 01-06-2009, 04:22 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,799,829 times
Look at the Hideout or WLE. both of them are in Lake Ariel.

d

Old 01-06-2009, 05:20 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,111,814 times
www.arrowheadca.org

they have several lakes, pools and other amenities.

Locust Lakes, Lake Harmony, Big Bass Lakes and Lake Naomi are other lake communities right in the Pocono's that are safe communities to vacation in. As mentioned above, the hideout is also a good choice....

Old 01-06-2009, 06:00 AM

13,321 posts, read 22,658,548 times
Lake harmony is fun for the kids as it has its very own amusements. One being the very new and delightful H2000 Water Park which is right by Split Rock.
You also can rent a boat to go out on the lake. They have a movie area also. A cute spot to head to for ice cream. Some nice restaurants right in the developed area......Nicks Lake House is wonderful right on the lake. They have lake front rentals.........That area is a joy.
Also the above are fine. But I think the asset of the new Water Park at Split Rock/Lk harmony makes for a fantastic time for the kids.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:01 AM

2,662 posts, read 3,827,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poconoproud View Post
www.arrowheadca.org

they have several lakes, pools and other amenities.

Locust Lakes, Lake Harmony, Big Bass Lakes and Lake Naomi are other lake communities right in the Pocono's that are safe communities to vacation in. As mentioned above, the hideout is also a good choice....
that's a nice list of safe, beautiful pocono lake communities. . . . and I think they all have websites. Keep in mind if powerboating is your thing, Lake Harmony is the only one that will permit it.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:09 AM

2,834 posts, read 10,763,870 times
The web-site ofr The Hideout...Hideout POA - Home
I am a resident for 15 years and have seen many families enjoy their vacation here.
You can rent a house and enjoy all the ammenities...it is definitely a safe community with tons of things to do for kids of all ages.
If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:11 AM

4,083 posts, read 9,095,115 times
I would be looking for something in NH, CT or upstate NY.

Old 01-06-2009, 06:56 AM

2,731 posts, read 6,116,345 times
I love Lake Harmony, it's a lot of fun there. The only two places I'm familiar with are Lake Naomi which is very nice and Towamensing Trails - their lake will be closed this summer. I would contact a real estate agent and let them give you some options.

Old 01-06-2009, 07:41 AM

1 posts, read 6,780 times
Do your research and be careful, it seems the closer you go to the Stoudsburgs the worse things are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Pennsylvania > Northeastern Pennsylvania